The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question about the Old Canon...

Sanguiluna

So according to the old canon system, the films were G-Canon, while the official novelizations were C-Canon. My question is, where do screenplays fit into the system?

I know that after the canon purge, the EU--including the novelizations of films--were de-canonized, meaning that anything that the novels do differently from the films are non-canon, such as differences in dialogue or deleted scenes. But what about those instances where the novel and screenplay share something in common that the films don't? I'm pretty sure the screenplay is still Canon under the new system, otherwise how can the film be Canon?

So according to the old canon system, the films were G-Canon, while the official novelizations were C-Canon. My question is, where do screenplays fit into the system?

I know that after the canon purge, the EU--including the novelizations of films--were de-canonized, meaning that anything that the novels do differently from the films are non-canon, such as differences in dialogue or deleted scenes. But what about those instances where the novel and screenplay share something in common that the films don't? I'm pretty sure the screenplay is still Canon under the new system, otherwise how can the film be Canon?

The final screenplays is in essence the movie. That actually goes further than the movie really. As an example different bits may explain for the actor's benefit "you are struggling and are forced to retreat" vs "you retreat to lure your opponent into a trap." You may find a difference in terms of artistic license but in terms of facts there should be little to know difference between to two.

As for under the old rules the novelizations were in a weird place that I think helps to prove how bogus the old canon system was. They were actually G-Canon with the exception of bits that contradict the movie.

Thing is though contradiction ends up being in the eye of the beholder most of the time. Example Revenge of the Sith had 2 novelizations, a normal and a junior. Now if you read the screenplay it says that Yoda gets knocked off the platform by the explosion generated by his blocking of Sidious force lighting (unstoppable force meets immovable object) and after that because A. He was closer to his edge of the platform and B. Because Sidious had a handle to grab. Sounds like bad luck more than Sidious more powerful yeah? The novelization has Yoda being shot out of the sky, that seminal part of the duel never occurs. People say that means Sidious is more powerful. Say "ummm that contradicts the film and screen play so its not canon" and the answer is "no it doesn't." To make matters worse the Holicron, which was the Lucasarts clearing house to render a decision on these issues was taken down and isn't even available via archive...so asking about old canon tbh is an exercise in futility.

As for the new canon you are correct, it is the 6 screenplays they are basing it on.

Edited by Ghisallo