Bring back the Physical Security keys

Anaesha

I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this. I personally prefer the Physical keys over the digital keys and would love it if EA/BW would consider beinging back the Physical keys. There are a few reasons I prefer the physical keys most notably is the fact that cell phones are not as secure as the general populace believes them to be. Another reason is the fact that not everyone can afford to have some of the newer cell phones that allow for the use of apps.

I prefer pressing one button, rather than unlocking my phone, loading the app, etc, every time I need a code. [And when on the website, its every time I enter a secure area :) ]

/SIGNED

Edited by JWagner

I prefer pressing one button, rather than unlocking my phone, loading the app, etc, every time I need a code. [And when on the website, its every time I enter a secure area :) ]

/SIGNED

Yeah the quickness of the physical keys is also another reason I prefer them over the digital keys.

P.s. it's also not like they cost a lot to make, I'd be willing to bet it costs less to make a single key then it costs for someone to buy it $4.99.

Edited by Anaesha

I'm the proud owner of a CE physical key, but it seems to be getting long in the tooth and it's not always responsive when I push the button. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to display the authentication code and I'm worried it's reaching the end of its life.

I still have a "dumb" phone so the authentication app is out of the question. I'd love the ability to order a replacement before my authenticator gives out.

Sounds like your battery is running out, I have not tried to open mine yet but I don't see an problems in doing so. There's a small screw under the sticker and I think once that's out it should just pop apart allowing you to replace the battery.

it would mainly depend on how fragile it is. Having said that, They do seem to be fairly robust so I doubt anything would happen but if it did there is no way to get a replacement which would suck badly.

Sounds like your battery is running out, I have not tried to open mine yet but I don't see an problems in doing so. There's a small screw under the sticker and I think once that's out it should just pop apart allowing you to replace the battery.

Ah didn't realize the screw was under the sticker. Here I was thinking it was permanently sealed with a planned obsolescence all this time. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this. I personally prefer the Physical keys over the digital keys and would love it if EA/BW would consider beinging back the Physical keys. There are a few reasons I prefer the physical keys most notably is the fact that cell phones are not as secure as the general populace believes them to be. Another reason is the fact that not everyone can afford to have some of the newer cell phones that allow for the use of apps.

some years ago, I would have agreed that physical keys are the way to go. However, in the real world, i am head of security for my company. I now have 6 work-related physical security keys (the number kind) on my chain, plus a physical paypal key. My keyball weighs about a pound. I *REALLY* don't want to add another hard token.

I also have 5 goggle auth authenticators in the app, a fortigate soft key for my VPN, and the SWTOR soft key. I actually wish that SWTOR could use google authenticator so I could get RID of one security key.

for those who don't have a smart phone can get an emulator like bluestacks for free and install the app on there. I used it for quite awhile before I got my brother's well used iphone.

It's a bit annoying to use compared to a physical or digital key, but it does work if you really want it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.