The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Player Powertech

Savedgebeast

Hey guys I have been playing SWTOR for 3 whole days now =) Subbed yesterday, I liked it so much. But I have a noob question.

My Powertech is level 11 now but I have no idea which spec to choose.

I want to group some as I level and of course quest some as I level, so what would be a good spec to do this in? Eventually I will tank, but for right now I just want to chill and enjoy the game as I level.

Thank you

Oops I forgot to say this will strictly be pve, it burns when I pvp so none of that.

Edited by Savedgebeast

It's hard to say, as all 3 specs are viable. I played my PT as Advanced Prototype from 50 on and had no problems until I tried Oricron at level 55, but even that went more or less ok.

I just tanked my entire way to max level. I queued up for flashpoints for pretty fast queues, and as long as I kept my companion geared it wasn't a ton slower [than being a DPS spec]. It helps you get familiar with the spec; I never had to look up any sort of guide when I got to max level and began tanking operations because I had read and used all my abilities as I leveled. Edited by FrozenGoalie

That's a good point Frozen. Thank you both for your help. Not to mention as a tank I shouldn't be squishy at all while questing, right?

Right, as long as you keep on top of your gear. Spend your Basic comms on mods/armoring/enhancements at the supply section of fleet every few levels. (Get orange gear so you can swap out mods when needed).

Either way, no matter if tanking or dpsing, you will have no problems if you keep your gear on par with your current level.

If you are going to tank in the end, you can level as a tank.

First, up to level 40, your dps is as good as any other PT spec (more or less) and your survivability is higher.

Second, you will find it more easy to group as a tank.

Third, your first crew mate is a healer and you can do a lot of H2 as a tank with a well stuff crew healer at low level (if you have crew bonuses from alts, it sure helps a lot).

Fourth, you will more get used with your spec if you play it from the begining. You will just feel the way a new power has changed either your dps or your survivability.

Fifth, even if the single target dps is not that great at high level, you have a lot of aoe and can then group the mobs and take them down quite quickly as a tank.

I have leveled all my tanks as tanks and didn't find it too slow, but maybe I'm wrong. And the PT is certainly the one with the most efficiency at low level.