Merc Bodyguard viable for Ranked

Kenjer

Been healing on my operative in Ranked and getting frustrated that i can't keep up with the burst. I know Mercs have great burst healing, but I'm wondering if they are durable enough.

Is Merc viable to do well in ranked, or is it all about sorc/sage these days?

I wouldn't recommend either Merc or Mando for Ranked. You got no "Oh crap" ability to save you from initial focus. And it is worse when you are a Merc / Mando and the healer. That all but says "kill me first". Rank is already brutal in itself, but these classes lack stealth so they got nowhere to hide. No matter what you do they are coming after you first. And if you constantly keep an eye on your surroundings to avoid ambushes, odds are you aren't doing very well keeping your team mates alive so your team has already lost.

Been healing on my operative in Ranked and getting frustrated that i can't keep up with the burst. I know Mercs have great burst healing, but I'm wondering if they are durable enough.

Is Merc viable to do well in ranked, or is it all about sorc/sage these days?

Merc cannot compete in ranked with any spec. I however play one and want you to play one in ranked as well. If enough Juggs and Guardians complain I'm guessing something will happen.

I would say Bodyguard spec is at the lower end of viable for group ranked, though your team would be probably better off if you stayed Ops it's possible to make it work if they are very dedicated to protecting you. For solo ranked, playing a Merc of any spec will be endless frustration for you.

Merc healers have more throughput than Operatives currently if left to freecast, but are much easier to shut down or kill. It makes for a different playing experience: don't expect to be able to target a team-mate, you'll essentially have to healtank against anyone who knows what they're doing.

Edited by MiaowZedong