The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I think they dug *deep* for a visual reference in the upcoming Cartel Pack

DarthDymond

According to Dulfy, the upcoming Apprentice's Shadow Pack is going to include a Purple-skinned customization for the Kaleesh companion Xalek.

Now I may be completely off base, but a purple Kaleesh seems like a visual reference to some truly obscure SW lore: Sk'ar.

S'Kar was a one-off (2 issue) villain back in 1981 for the Marvel SW Comics - I hulking, purple skinned alien of an unnamed race. Then, more than 25 years after his only appearance, Abel G. Peña dusted him off for an article called 'Aliens in the Empire' where Peña retconned Sk'ar into "Bentilais san Sk'ar" a Kaleesh warlord and former ally of General Grievous (back when Grievous was a Kaleesh leader).

I know on the face of things that seems like quite a stretch to attribute a simple color swap like this Companion Customization to such an obscure reference, but honestly I don't think there's ever been another purple Kaleesh in SW lore - and I doubt it's just a coincidence that they decided "hey, lets give Xalek a bright, random-colored skin that his race doesn't normally have" and then happened to pull purple out of a hat.

If Sk'ar really was the inspiration for this Xalek skin, than I give some serious SW nerd props to whoever proposed it at BW.

Edited by DarthDymond