The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

new to VG PvP tanking

thedudeabidesman

Hi folks, I have a few PvP related questions for the class....I'm not new to PvP or PvP tanking, just the VG.

Which augments do I want to stack? Shield? Absorb?

What will make up my main damage rotation? Any abilities to specifically avoid?

Do I use shoulder cannon on CD?

Any thoughts on right side tank gear, left side dps gear?

I'm level 52 and starting to think about 60: what should be my first purchases? Tank relics? Mh?

Posting in the PvP forums also

Thanks for you help

Responses in bold/green.

Hi folks, I have a few PvP related questions for the class....I'm not new to PvP or PvP tanking, just the VG.

I main a powertech and, while I have a vanguard as well, I don't remember all of its ability names so bear with me.

Which augments do I want to stack? Shield? Absorb?

Endurance, as Mitigation augs aren't as useful as [i personally think] they should be.

What will make up my main damage rotation? Any abilities to specifically avoid?

Missile Blast is really the only ability you should avoid using, as it eats your heat... but even then there is a situation or two in which it's useful.

Your "rotation" is purely situational. You want to be using rapid/hammer shots whenever you arent doing anything else for the slow/dot to enable railshot. Rocket Punch enables Rail Shot. Explosive Dart is for enemies far off or when a mara pops undying / sin shrouds / sorc ended barrier / etc. Unload is great when Sins Shroud because you can still hit them through it with this, rapid shots, and I believe railshot. Firestorm off cooldown, especially against juggs/maras and in clusters; follow it up with Death From Above / Mortar Valley. Your leap roots people and so can your pull if you spec into it so keep those in mind. Carbonize has an 8m radius so work out the best time to stun. Flame burst / Flame Sweep come free after your leap and can snare people so keep that going when you are in range to use those abilities.

Over time you'll learn when to use what but that's the gist.

Do I use shoulder cannon on CD?

It's good for your opening burst or finishing off an opponent. I recommend saving it for mid-fight if you spec into the heals, which are a so-so call for masterful utilities outside of AP.

Any thoughts on right side tank gear, left side dps gear?

This depends on what you're up against. If this is regs you might as well go full tank gear so you can stay in the fight for the long haul. If you're playing ranked then half dps [or even full dps as some skanks do] isn't a bad call if it suits your playstyle. I can't bring myself to use more than a few pieces because I like my tankiness and foregoing damage for sustainability is more of my thing. To each their own. It's safer to use dps gear if heals are with you. Ranked 4s would be the optimum time to use dps gear in tank spec but keep your tank gear handy incase the enemy tank-tunnels you next round in response.

I'm level 52 and starting to think about 60: what should be my first purchases? Tank relics? Mh?

Since you don't have old pvp gear, get the relics first. Then I'd probably go for belt/bracers as they cost the least to get your set bonuses rolling in. Put your gear in orange shells and augment them, as I'm sure you know to do. Then get other set bonuses and work on your left side after.

Posting in the PvP forums also.

Good luck out there.

Thanks for you help