The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Mitigation Conundrums

Xemak

Sup gun-guys, Vanguard Tank here, with a concern about end game tanking, mainly mitigation stats at level 60 in mostly 186, i know there are many ways a tank can choose to mitigate damage, i mainly focus on my shield taking the brunt of the damage, so I managed to get my 3 defensive stats into this setting: Defense Chance - 20% (rounded down) Shield Chance - 40% (again, rounded) Shield Absorb - 40% (rounded)

Now my question is, is this a decent spread of stats for my current level and gearing, what do my other tank friends use, and what do you guys personally value in defense?

thanks for reading, and any information.

More shield less defense. To get a good idea abt. pt/vg tank read thiis :http://dulfy.net/2014/12/27/3-0-shield-tech-powertech-tanking-guide-by-milas/

i had completely forgot this was released, thanks for posting this man, i will take a look and make some changes

now i have a question, does defense rating have a place in any build, seeing as how it can cause you to evade damage outright? or is just one of those things that is a nice idea, but a waste of a stat?

Basically defense is a good stat. However going for shield/absorb decreases spikiness, defense increases it. A little example for that : A boss doing 30k dmg hits. Having 20% chance of receiving no damage at all is nice regarding dtps values, but healers can not predict whether you get damage or not, so hots or precast healings might go in vain. However having 50% shield + 50% absorb means you would receive damage from all attacks. So its easier to predict, but the damage you receive has a 50% chance to be halfed. So hots etc. do not go in vain. So defense means you either take much dmg or no dmg, shield means you always get dmg but mostly it is reduced.

Furthermore there are bosses who do damage that can not be defended but shielded. Against those dmg types shield + absorb are king.

For a PT who has many procs that go with shielding an attack, shield is actually a pretty good stat. Theorycrafters wouldnt go as far as Milas goes with 50% shield but it seems viable.

First thing a tank should look for is that he can survive a full attack. A full attack is a blow that was not shielded or defended i.e. you get fulll dmg from that attack. For example at Bulo 8m Hm thats about 32k from his last blow from his scatter blaster. I dont know that much from the new content, only got 2/5 in both hm.

Second thing for a tank is to receive the least dtps without hurtin #1 thing. Mainly you can lower dtps by having defstats and the right stat distribution.

Third thing for a tank is to make your healers job as easy as possible. Many ppl tend to believe that this is done by purely decreasing the dtps the tank receives. That not entirely true. Because defstats are rng, especially defense. If i have 4000 defstats but only 40k hp healers have to react quickly if i receive dmg. Again 32k hit from Bulo + 10k hit from him a second later will kill this tank, however he is unlucky to not reduce the damage of 2 hits in a row, it occurrs sometimes. So a certain hp can also help the Healers.

Fourth thing is to maintain aggro on all targets

HP can be helpful for most tanks, especially if a fight is not that much known by the raid. If healers learn the phases where burst dmg occurs on the tanks it might get less beneficial. Thats also the point why rng is bad. Healers have to be able to predict but if you go defense the times you receive dmg may vary to much in order to be able to predict. Milas is trying to boost his defstats the way so that healers can predict fairly when the burst phases occurs. 50% is fairly high so that the variation is pretty low.

Basically defense is a good stat. However going for shield/absorb decreases spikiness, defense increases it. A little example for that : A boss doing 30k dmg hits. Having 20% chance of receiving no damage at all is nice regarding dtps values, but healers can not predict whether you get damage or not, so hots or precast healings might go in vain. However having 50% shield + 50% absorb means you would receive damage from all attacks. So its easier to predict, but the damage you receive has a 50% chance to be halfed. So hots etc. do not go in vain. So defense means you either take much dmg or no dmg, shield means you always get dmg but mostly it is reduced.

Furthermore there are bosses who do damage that can not be defended but shielded. Against those dmg types shield + absorb are king.

For a PT who has many procs that go with shielding an attack, shield is actually a pretty good stat. Theorycrafters wouldnt go as far as Milas goes with 50% shield but it seems viable.

First thing a tank should look for is that he can survive a full attack. A full attack is a blow that was not shielded or defended i.e. you get fulll dmg from that attack. For example at Bulo 8m Hm thats about 32k from his last blow from his scatter blaster. I dont know that much from the new content, only got 2/5 in both hm.

Second thing for a tank is to receive the least dtps without hurtin #1 thing. Mainly you can lower dtps by having defstats and the right stat distribution.

Third thing for a tank is to make your healers job as easy as possible. Many ppl tend to believe that this is done by purely decreasing the dtps the tank receives. That not entirely true. Because defstats are rng, especially defense. If i have 4000 defstats but only 40k hp healers have to react quickly if i receive dmg. Again 32k hit from Bulo + 10k hit from him a second later will kill this tank, however he is unlucky to not reduce the damage of 2 hits in a row, it occurrs sometimes. So a certain hp can also help the Healers.

Fourth thing is to maintain aggro on all targets

HP can be helpful for most tanks, especially if a fight is not that much known by the raid. If healers learn the phases where burst dmg occurs on the tanks it might get less beneficial. Thats also the point why rng is bad. Healers have to be able to predict but if you go defense the times you receive dmg may vary to much in order to be able to predict. Milas is trying to boost his defstats the way so that healers can predict fairly when the burst phases occurs. 50% is fairly high so that the variation is pretty low.

Ok i understand much better now, that was just the example i needed to make a more informed decision(i think mentioning it makes things easier on healers was all i really needed). i'll have to experiment with my augs and mods to get those shield stats up as high as i can at my current gear level, or basically just farm enough credits to replace the pieces i had in defense.

thanks again man for all the helpful information.