The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech Guard Tanks - PvP

Widgits

These sort of builds still feasible or do most people prefer Jugg Tanks now a days?

Not sure if you mean Guard as in node Guard or Guard as in Guarding players with the ability Guard lol. But anyways all tanks are pretty close as far as effectiveness. In my opinion, the best class to "Node Guard" is not a tank. You want your tank's on the front line, controlling the battle while taunting, debuffing and protecting other teammates.

The best class to "Node Guard" in my opinion would have to be Scoundrel DPS or Shadow DPS. I prefer Scoundrel's to node guard cause they can solo most people 1v1 if its a single capper, and if they get in a bind (a bind? whats this guy talking about? Sedatives anyone? lol) they can Cloak out and heal up while biding enough time to call out and interrupt a capture. I prefer Shadow DPS lurking in the Shadow's near the frontline fighters taking out high priority targets like healer's, since they don't have any true self-heals (excluding Serenity OPness lol) they are better doing this because they can benefit from an allied healer, where as the Scoundrel DPS can just heal themselves. If those 2 stealth classes aren't available then I prefer a Gunslinger to put his back to a wall by the node since they can really lock down a zone with their stealth detection and they can handle themselves in most 1 on 1's.

If you are talking about Tanks Guard ability protecting someone, then they are all great. Vanguard can stay within 10m of the guarded target much better since they have plenty of ranged attacks. Shadow's and Guardian's are about the same as far as effectiveness. Shadow can get around much better with proper phasewalk placement so you can always be where you need to be. Guardian's can peel a little faster than the rest due to Guardian Leap but its all just situational.

Not sure if you mean Guard as in node Guard or Guard as in Guarding players with the ability Guard lol. But anyways all tanks are pretty close as far as effectiveness. In my opinion, the best class to "Node Guard" is not a tank. You want your tank's on the front line, controlling the battle while taunting, debuffing and protecting other teammates.

The best class to "Node Guard" in my opinion would have to be Scoundrel DPS or Shadow DPS. I prefer Scoundrel's to node guard cause they can solo most people 1v1 if its a single capper, and if they get in a bind (a bind? whats this guy talking about? Sedatives anyone? lol) they can Cloak out and heal up while biding enough time to call out and interrupt a capture. I prefer Shadow DPS lurking in the Shadow's near the frontline fighters taking out high priority targets like healer's, since they don't have any true self-heals (excluding Serenity OPness lol) they are better doing this because they can benefit from an allied healer, where as the Scoundrel DPS can just heal themselves. If those 2 stealth classes aren't available then I prefer a Gunslinger to put his back to a wall by the node since they can really lock down a zone with their stealth detection and they can handle themselves in most 1 on 1's.

If you are talking about Tanks Guard ability protecting someone, then they are all great. Vanguard can stay within 10m of the guarded target much better since they have plenty of ranged attacks. Shadow's and Guardian's are about the same as far as effectiveness. Shadow can get around much better with proper phasewalk placement so you can always be where you need to be. Guardian's can peel a little faster than the rest due to Guardian Leap but its all just situational.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah sorry, I think I was tired as hell when I made the post initially, I just meant PT Tanks in general heh

In regs the powertech tank can be really great in every way (ball carrier, node guard and teammates protection), but when it comes to arenas they can be a bit underpowered, in my opinion. Well, maybe not underpowered, but with a smaller toolkit (or perhaps a too predictable toolkit?). This becomes a lot more clear in group rateds and high skill matches. Juggs have more "reaction tools", or maybe just more options to create openings/enemy death situations. Edited by Capote