Party members not going to the same phases for story convos on Rishi

Icebergy

Rishi (and Yavin) quests count as Class Stories I believe. Just like two Jedi Knights or two Bounty Hunters cannot "share" a class instance together (they have to do them individually), the same goes for these, except in this case the mission is shared amongst all classes.

I would really like to know why they made the decision that no one should level with their friends anymore.

SWTOR doesn't have a big budget, so they had to cut down on the amount of conversation choices in-game. It is easier to develop a story for one player, than developing multiple variations, depending on whether it is a single player or a group.

On the other hand, that way we got a longer story. I'd rather have a 5 hour story that is single-player only, than a 2 hour story that's different for each class and allows you to take along friends.

Um, how exactly would it increase the budget to let two people do THE SAME CONVO together? Its not like there would be ANY additional development, that makes zero sense. Its the exact same convo, with the same voice actors, with the same lines, with the same length, regardless of if there's one person in it or four together.

Um, how exactly would it increase the budget to let two people do THE SAME CONVO together? Its not like there would be ANY additional development, that makes zero sense. Its the exact same convo, with the same voice actors, with the same lines, with the same length, regardless of if there's one person in it or four together.

It's not as simple, the NPCs need to address you differently, which means more lines of dialogue to record. For example, now they only address you by smuggler/soldier/Jedi etc. With multi-player, it gets more complicated because it needs to check whether there is one player or two. While in English "you" and "you" (singular and plural) are identical, in the German and French translation, they are different, so they need to create separate lines for those.

And even if it is not because of budget, it could still be due to immersion. In a single-player quest, they can create much more immersion based on the player's class than in a group setting.

Just my two cents on this.

Edited by Jerba

• 3 weeks later...
Its a terrible change. There was nothing wrong with the way the makeb story was done for groups. This is an MMO we should be able to do the quest line together. Its a faction storyline and not a class storyline, no matter how bw tries to spin it to justify this silly decision...

It's not as simple, the NPCs need to address you differently, which means more lines of dialogue to record. For example, now they only address you by smuggler/soldier/Jedi etc. With multi-player, it gets more complicated because it needs to check whether there is one player or two. While in English "you" and "you" (singular and plural) are identical, in the German and French translation, they are different, so they need to create separate lines for those.

And even if it is not because of budget, it could still be due to immersion. In a single-player quest, they can create much more immersion based on the player's class than in a group setting.

Just my two cents on this.

I bought my friend the expansion so that I could play with her. It doesn't feel good for them to tell me that I didn't spend enough money for them to be able to add in the difference between singular you and plural you.

Yes thanks, captain obvious.

If it were that obvious to begin with, you wouldn't have posted this in the Bug Reports section. :rolleyes:

Hence your OP:

What is this garbage? Please tell me this is a bug and will be fixed soon? Why would Bioware possibly make leveling with a group so pointless?

Duh!

Edited by Darth_Wicked

If it were that obvious to begin with, you wouldn't have posted this in the Bug Reports section. :rolleyes:

Hence your OP:

Duh!

And how many weeks later after it was already discussed and determined to be intended did you come in with your holier than thou attitude?

Just in case this is a bug, it is also happening on Imperial side. Actually it is even worse on Imp side. On Republic, we could at least take turns and view each other's stories as spectators, on Imp side it won't even let us do that.

I'd really like an explanation as to why this moronic decision was made.

And how many weeks later after it was already discussed and determined to be intended did you come in with your holier than thou attitude?

I already knew about it since the Closed Beta, seeing I partook in it.

Also, I had already pointed out it wasn't a bug, in this same thread, around mid-December last year, as seen here.

Same day you created this thread.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

There are bugs in the storyline for SoR for sure. So I run in a group of three lets call them A, B and ME for simplicity. Now it has been hard to test our three runs through the story as player A keeps running in the green door instances first always ( I think she does it on purpose to annoy me ). Now on our first republic run through , saw player B + ME be able to view each others story dialogue , but not player A's story. Now player B + ME hadn't finished the prelude to the shadow of revan ( I think their ship terminal wasn't showing it and thus we both went to Rishi first ).

Then on our second character run through ( Imperial ) and after finishing Forged Alliances , B + ME could view each others convos again.

On the third character run through ( again on Imperial ) B + ME hadn't started Forged Alliances ( prelude to SOR ) but we wanted to start Rishi as player A had finished FA ( prelude to SOR ). This time B + ME could never ever view each others story at all. We did notice that player A could join us ( either join ME or Player B ) but we couldn't join player A at all.

Now what I think has and is happening here is BioWare ( as they said they would pass on the information we gave back in the day about Makeb ) has made the decisions matter ( I'm looking mainly at the flirt options throughout FA and even in SOR itself ). It only affects convos between the player and the various NPC's we can romance ( not 100% but mostly ). Even the short class story affects the dialogue , as sometimes we have beaten SOR without doing that one class mission.

So Bioware have made a great story and implemented it pretty well considering. Really though those personal phases should have been just that and we should of had a long running planetary story too. Obviously that might have been a bit difficult in FA and SOR so for the future expansion of story I would like to see more of the same but with a group planetary storyline and bring this MMO back to an MMO.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

Now what I think has and is happening here is BioWare ( as they said they would pass on the information we gave back in the day about Makeb ) has made the decisions matter ( I'm looking mainly at the flirt options throughout FA and even in SOR itself ). It only affects convos between the player and the various NPC's we can romance ( not 100% but mostly ). Even the short class story affects the dialogue , as sometimes we have beaten SOR without doing that one class mission.

Not true, because you can multi player convo any that involve not entering a phase. Specifically after you destroy the supplies right before you go to the slave camp, there is a convo with Lana and Theron that has a flirt option. This convo you can do in a group.

So now that we have finished playing through both sides once together, my friend is going to let her subscription expire again because of this. It really doesn't make any sense for us to play together anymore with this change.

I don't know if she is the only one or not, but really this is one of the dumbest decisions I have ever seen an MMO developer make.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree this was a stupid decision on BW part. My boyfriend and I always group up so in this case we going to have to do the missions twice as we like leveling together.

We have always been able to do things together and this one makes absolute no sense.

A friend of mine says it does the same thing when you try to group up for the dailies on Yavin when it comes to the weekly on revan. Instead of being able to do it once they have to do it twice.

This makes no sense as people like to group up.

Still would like to know why this decision was made. Is Bioware actively trying to discourage people from grouping up?
My guess is that want you to experience your story YOUR way and not through a group vote.

That's why the instances are labeled as "personal phase" instead of "group phase" when you mouseover them.

Personally, I like it better because I like seeing the conversation play out as my character would have done it.

My guess is that want you to experience your story YOUR way and not through a group vote.

That's why the instances are labeled as "personal phase" instead of "group phase" when you mouseover them.

Personally, I like it better because I like seeing the conversation play out as my character would have done it.

Then you have the option to level by yourself. Now I don't have the option to play with my friend anymore.

I understand why they did it for the one part that was based on your class story but the rest had nothing to do with your story and some of us enjoy doing things with our boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/friends.

They should have made the one part class story and the rest to be able to do it as a group considering the story is the same no matter what character or faction you do it. Before you say it flirt options can still be done, considering there are flirt options with the npc on Makeb and those can be done with a group.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

There's only the occasional conversation that can't be done in a group. EVERYTHING ELSE can be. Do the conversations separately or twice, and then do the SOLO FPs together, kill mobs together, complete all missions together.