Warding Strike not dealing damage as intended?

BenKatarn

I've been leveling my Guardian in the last few days, and noticed something a little odd about the new Defense talent ability "Warding Strike".

Let's take a look at the tooltip:

Increases damage reduction by 3% for 20 seconds, generates 6 focus, and deals X weapon damage to the target with a series of quick melee attacks.

Shares a cooldown with Sundering Strike.

The highlighted part is what I'm talking about. Although Warding Strike performs a "series of quick melee attacks", it only deals damage once, at the first strike of the ability. This is a contrast to to other melee attacks that feature a "series of attacks" which deal damage over the course of the entire ability animation. For instance, while both the Jedi Knight's "Strike" and the Jedi Consular's "Double Strike" are instant abilities, their damage is split up between the number of actual attack animations performed by the abilities. The Knight's "Strike"'s damage is split up into a total of 3 damage values since it is a sequence of three attacks.

So my question is, why does this not apply to the Warding Strike? Does this count as a bug? I've been doing a bit of testing on one of the training dummies, and about 8 times out of 10, Warding Strike will only deal damage once, 2 times out of 10 it will deal damage twice, but given the way it is animated, it should deal damage three times.