The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Tarkin novel and the New Canon of Star Wars

Slowpokeking

I finished Tarkin a while ago, it was a well written novel. I will say the new canon is better than we thought. In this book, Luceno was still trying to keep the plot from his Darth Plagueis novel. Palpatine's flashback and lines mentioned his mentor's existence and some plots we saw in that novel. 11-4D was also kept as Palpatine's personal droid.

Even some EU-only character showed up. Like this

along with several top officers from COMPNOR, including Director Armand Isard,

Raven-haired man*s man Director Armand Isard was about to intervene when a junior intelligence officer seated at a comm board spoke first.

So we might see Ysanne Isard in the future.

I just hope they can keep the Old Republic Era since it had little to do with the new movie, along with the Plagueis novel.

Oh, and the Jedi Temple was built upon an ancient Sith Shrine, which is why Palpatine made the temple his own palace after Order 66.

I finished Tarkin a while ago, it was a well written novel. I will say the new canon is better than we thought. In this book, Luceno was still trying to keep the plot from his Darth Plagueis novel. Palpatine's flashback and lines mentioned his mentor's existence and some plots we saw in that novel. 11-4D was also kept as Palpatine's personal droid.

Even some EU-only character showed up. Like this

So we might see Ysanne Isard in the future.

I just hope they can keep the Old Republic Era since it had little to do with the new movie, along with the Plagueis novel.

Oh, and the Jedi Temple was built upon an ancient Sith Shrine, which is why Palpatine made the temple his own palace after Order 66.

I deep inside keep hoping for a KoToR movie and have it changed for Canon reason and to fix Revan and Meetra's story.

To be honest though , I would not be hurt if Movie Canon erased Revan and Meetra either for the better of the series , Revan probably still my favorite , so I say that unbiased .

The Tarkin Novel sounds like a good read , thankyou for telling us ! :D

Edited by mefit

I deep inside keep hoping for a KoToR movie and have it changed for Canon reason and to fix Revan and Meetra's story.

To be honest though , I would not be hurt if Movie Canon erased Revan and Meetra either for the better of the series , Revan probably still my favorite , so I say that unbiased .

I'm not a big fan of either of them, I like TotJ era a bit better, especially Exar Kun and Nomi Sunrider, too bad these two characters had little communication.

I'm not a big fan of either of them, I like TotJ era a bit better, especially Exar Kun and Nomi Sunrider, too bad these two characters had little communication.

Exar Kun is likely my second or atleast top 5 favorite character , and I would love to see a movie on him , probably more than Revan being his character has largely been left alone and not dismantled .

Exar Kun is likely my second or atleast top 5 favorite character , and I would love to see a movie on him , probably more than Revan being his character has largely been left alone and not dismantled .

Yeah, and Nomi is one of the most interesting female Jedi in the whole franchise.

When did the Temple become a Sith Shrine?

Well, that's a wrench in the OR era unless the Empire wins in SWTOR and Nox/Imperius builds a Shrine over the ruined Temple. Otherwise they're going to have to be creative, at least the OR has enough "empty time" that they can work this in theoretically without totally screwing things up for the Legends if they wanted to.

I'm curious to see how this pans out.

Edited by StarSquirrel

While Tarkin looks like it is incorporating a fair amount of the old EU material, at least as Easter Eggs if not driving plot points, part of me wonders how much of this is due to the timing of its publication.

Luceno delivered the manuscript for Tarkin about 10 days after the announcement came out about the new Canon/Legends policy. Even if he had been made aware of the intended policy change well in advance of the announcement, a sizable chunk of the novel, if not entire drafts, could very well have been written before the policy decision was made.

If Luceno was writing, at least at first, without clear guidance about whether or not he needed to adhere to the old EU's continuity, I would expect he'd play it safe and keep it consistent with the EU (this is the guy who wrote Darth Plagueis afterall, and that entire novel was about 80% shout-outs and references to other EU material).

Edited by DarthDymond

While Tarkin looks like it is incorporating a fair amount of the old EU material, at least as Easter Eggs if not driving plot points, part of me wonders how much of this is due to the timing of its publication.

Luceno delivered the manuscript for Tarkin about 10 days after the announcement came out about the new Canon/Legends policy. Even if he had been made aware of the intended policy change well in advance of the announcement, a sizable chunk of the novel, if not entire drafts, could very well have been written before the policy decision was made.

If Luceno was writing, at least at first, without clear guidance about whether or not he needed to adhere to the old EU's continuity, I would expect he'd play it safe and keep it consistent with the EU (this is the guy who wrote Darth Plagueis afterall, and that entire novel was about 80% shout-outs and references to other EU material).

Darth Plagueis was just fantastic, I hope EVERY piece of it stay as canon.

Am i the only one that thinks this Novel is still possibly going to end up Branded as "Legends" cus last I heard they werent STOPPING with legends properties, and Legends tales could and would still be produced.

From Jennifer Heddle, Senior Editor at LucasFilm/LucasBooks during a Twitter Q&A on the Canon changes:

The old Legends books will remain in print, yes. Probably not new stories, though. :( But who knows?

@OfficeTrooper29: so no new books are going to be added to the original EU going forward, what's there is there and that's it?

@jenheddle: Correct. (For now? Always in motion is the future, etc, etc.)

I personally hope that they eventually continue on with new Legends stories, but that is definitely not their plan at present. Her "But who knows?" statement reads as a placating gesture at best.

Wookipedia is slow at updating these days. Does Tarkin have anything to say about where the heck a word like "Moff" came from? I know they assert that "Grand Moff" is a title that the Emperor conjured expressly for Tarkin himself, but I want to know the new canon origin of the term.

Wookipedia is slow at updating these days. Does Tarkin have anything to say about where the heck a word like "Moff" came from? I know they assert that "Grand Moff" is a title that the Emperor conjured expressly for Tarkin himself, but I want to know the new canon origin of the term.

Seems like Wiki in general is going broke . Everytime I get on their now I get Add after add asking me to donate and even donating does not get rid of those annoying adds on my screen .

I need to check the book.

Oh, and Mas Amedda became the Emperor's Grand Vizier.