The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars Books

detowne

I would like to start reading some Star Wars books. I have yet to read one. There are so many I do not know where to begin!

I like books with a good story and a lot of action.

So, in your opinion, where should I start?

Thanks!

What era is your favorite?

If you watched the Clone Wars series, Clone Wars era novels would be a great place to start, possibly moving slowly into the Rise of the Empire era. A lot of familiar characters will pop up in novels like Dark Rendezvous and Shatterpoint.

On the other hand, if you like the Old Republic, novels like Deceived that take place near or during this games timelines would be a nice place to begin.

My personal favorite is the Clone Wars era.

Well you have an interesting issue because depending on what you are looking for has a lot of answers. For example, Labrynth of Evil, Jedi Trial, are Republic Commando Hard Contact are all great books but they contradict the New Clone Wars TV show.

The best books in the series are found in the Galactic Civil War but a lot (read all) of that is now consider "Legends"

The greatest book series is whats known as the Thrawn Trilogy (Heir of the Empire, Dark Force Rising, the Last Command) which takes place 9 years after the battle of Yavin and deals with the New Republic fighting the Imperial Remnant.

The next most popular series is the X-Wing series which covers the first couple of years of the New Republic (following Wedge Antilles and his 2 starfighter squadrons)

The Truce at Bakura occurs 6 months after the Battle of Endor which covers how the Rebellion wants to continue their war against the Empire now that the Emperor is dead.

Shadows of the Empire (between ESB and RotJ) is also a very popular story though Ive yet to read the book.

Those are some of my favorite books. I hope that helps

Anything by Timothy Zahn but especially:

Thrawn Trilogy

Hand of Thrawn Duology

Outbound Flight

Survivor's Quest

Darth Bane Trilogy by Drew Karpyshyn

I would save the above for last because once you read them (especially Thrawn) other books may seem weaker in comparison, especially if they include original trilogy characters.

Old Republic Novels (i.e. direct TOR tie-ins): Deceived and Fatal Alliance are really good. Revan and Annihilation are alright.

Other:

Shatterpoint (Clone wars, Mace Windu)

Plagueis (story of Darth Plagueis and rise of Darth Sidious)

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter (pre-Ep1 Darth Maul centered story)

Coruscant Nights Trilogy (post Ep3, Jedi on the run. Features some interesting characters from Shadow Hunter so read that first)

The Last Jedi (final story featuring characters from Coruscant Nights)

That should get you started. Most books have a novels timeline in the front so you can use that to track down more books if you want.

Hopefully I don't take any heat for this, but I loved the Republic Commando series. It essentially followed 2 squads throughout the clone wars, Order 66, and into the imperial era. One of the best series I have ever read.

1. Hard Contact

2. Triple Zero

3. True Colors

4. Order 66

5. Imperial Commando: 501st

And the last one was cancelled :'(

Hopefully I don't take any heat for this, but I loved the Republic Commando series. It essentially followed 2 squads throughout the clone wars, Order 66, and into the imperial era. One of the best series I have ever read.

1. Hard Contact

2. Triple Zero

3. True Colors

4. Order 66

Despite any heat you might get, I'm right there with you. I loved that series, a lot.

1. Hard Contact

2. Triple Zero

3. True Colors

4. Order 66

I loved the first one, did not care for the second one.

I never got around to reading the other books though I wish I did

As was said before, anything from Timothy Zahn :)

The X-wing books from Michael Stackpole were great too (up until the I Jedi... I personally hate that one).

I liked the Old Republic books too, and they really ties in to the game. If nothing more, with the characters.

From others I liked the Plaguis, the Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader, or the one Clone Wars book I read: No Prisoners (I like Rex and Asoka, and the book handled them quite well... as well as good (not yet so) old Palleon :) )

But to repeat: anything from Zahn.

I like the FotJ series. A bit thicker than what I was used to and a fair amount amount of books but pretty entertaining. Liked the Lost Sith and Vestara Khai. Too bad they pretty much canned anything that happened to Vestara aside from one book after Disney set the new canon rules. Edited by Nickious

I love how absolutely no one has commented on the New Jedi Order books, and everything after.

My suggestion is read the one-off Clone Wars era books that have been mentioned if you prefer that era (the Commadno series is ragged on so hard you might want to skip it), then move to older books about the Rebellion/New Republic. People have mentioned plenty of the good novels, so I'll just throw in my two cents that the X-Wing series is a good amount of fun without TOO much need for backstory.

And that leads me to an important point. Whatever you do, don't get bogged down by what you feel you might have missed. Almost every Star Wars book, or at least many of the ones written 1990's-early 2000's, will reference events of each other. Just roll with it, cause when you read some of it the first time you can really bug out. Figure out what books bracket the one your on in the timeline and have fun exploring that ridiculous off-the-cuff remark a character mentioned.

Also, to he who said he hated I, Jedi, phooey on you. That is without a doubt one of my favorite Star Wars books of all time. To those who haven't read it, think Jedi + Starfighter + Space Pirates + Undercover Cop. Because F' Yeah.