The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is Vanguard good for a first time tank?

dark_wolf

Hey, everyone. I'm currently leveling my Vanguard with the 12exp and I enjoy the DPS tree, but I've never tried tanking before so I was considering trying to run a few dungeons as a tank while I level up. I was just wondering if anyone could give some advice on tanking in general and how newbie Vanguard tanking works. I'm currently level 32 if that helps. Thanks.

My Van is my first tank, and it works marvelously. His rotation is straight forward, and by level 32 you should have tools to deal with the horrid energy management.

Basically, it is smooth, and very easy to protect your party. I normally focus a healer, guard melee DPS next to me, and swap guard on a healer if the guy's in real trouble. Always turn the mobs around so I can always see the rest of the group (and if there is a wall, always have my back to that wall, 'cause it's there for a reason, probably) and if any mobs are gunning their way. But that's really generic.... dunno if that's what you are looking for.

I play PvP, so I do commando armorings and fortitude augments.... it works fine in the FPs I did so far. I am trying to get as much Absorb as I possibly can over shield and much, much over defense.

Harpoon the channelers or wandering objects.

Use Riot Gas and that Explosion + free shot after it religiously.

I found that I don't need to take any skills in the offsetting trees so far, just plow my way to the top of the VG tree. Charge is hugely important to have ASAP, as it is one of the 2 gap closers. It is first available at 28-29 and you have to skip a lower Tier ability to get there right away...

Let me look for a thread where I get great advice, I will link it!

EDIT: Here is the thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=767048

I also suggest browsing all the guides, and any post with TAC as an OP or contributor :)

Edited by DomiSotto