New Player - Any Info Appreciated

BaronVonBoom

Hi Guys n Gals of the Galaxy

After a long time coming ive finally gotten round to installing SWTOR & am currently kicking myself for taking so long about it:)

Great game & loving it so far but just looking for some general do's & dont's or where to spend cash an what not..

Got a 30 sub for now but after having read a few threads an such was wondering if I should grab anything from the Cartel or maybe a 6 month sub etc.

Got myself a nifty Bounty Hunter that im loving the storyline of & playstyle so also any tips that way would be appreciated.

Cheers

BVBoom

It all depends on what you're looking for. Most of the stuff at the cartel market are vanity items or unlocks. Many can be found at GTN for credit prices.

As a subscriber you have access that those that don't subscribe have to pay for individually and you get a monthly stipend of cartel coins.

If you're interested in the upcoming update, Shadows of Revan, consider pre-ordering it and you'll get a 12x XP boost for class quests and you'll level much faster than doing anything else.

Interesting, I'll look into Rocket Boost.

I'm newly returned to the game, and so this is the first time I've dealt with the Cartel Shop. The only things I've bought have been the Cathar Race, and some of the extra hair colour options. I'd say it would be a good idea to not rush into buying Cartel Packs, mostly because they seem to create tons of duplicate objects. I noticed this while watching a bunch of Cartel Pack openings on youtube - it helped me decide not to go there.

It's up to you though; if you think something will make the game more enjoyable, go for it. :) I suppose that in general the Cartel shop doesn't really have the kinds of things that would tempt me - I'd be keen on stuff like other playable species (Jawas or Wookies for example), and I'd really like animal pets (like VIr Vur: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vir_Vur), and a wider variety of animal mounts (hopefully attractive). Speeders are useful and I like many I see. Still, I definitely prefer furry animal mounts. More cosmetic options for character creation would work for me too!

Edited by Sharzade

Rocket boost (and the two upgrades that reduce its cooldown) is extremely useful, as it will work in areas that you can't use speeders in. Very frustrating to slog through those huge palaces on Alderaan or the Senate building on Coruscant without it.

You should also consider the cooldown reductions to quick travelling. Depending on how you play, the character perks giving access to a Field Repair Droid, higher chance of crafting crits, and higher companion affection gain may also be of interest to you.

If you have many alts, it might be worth it to buy a cheap Cartel Market speeder from the GTN for credits and unlock it in your collections for a few Cartel Coins -- that way, once you reach level 15 on any new character, you can simply retrieve a copy of the speeder from your collections.

Rocket boost (and the two upgrades that reduce its cooldown) is extremely useful, as it will work in areas that you can't use speeders in. Very frustrating to slog through those huge palaces on Alderaan or the Senate building on Coruscant without it.

You should also consider the cooldown reductions to quick travelling. Depending on how you play, the character perks giving access to a Field Repair Droid, higher chance of crafting crits, and higher companion affection gain may also be of interest to you.

If you have many alts, it might be worth it to buy a cheap Cartel Market speeder from the GTN for credits and unlock it in your collections for a few Cartel Coins -- that way, once you reach level 15 on any new character, you can simply retrieve a copy of the speeder from your collections.

Curious about how legacy and unlocks work. Can anything be unlocked via collection for all characters? So if I get Rocket Boost can I unlock it legacy-wide or is it just for that character. Same thing with the Treek companion; seems rather restrictive to get such an expensive companion and then have it only on one character. With the legacy tree, I'm assuming that I can't develop most categories without spending credits/cartel coins. I haven't dabbled in legacy stuff yet. Checking it out so to speak! Are there any legacy categories that are considered not worth doing?

Curious about how legacy and unlocks work. Can anything be unlocked via collection for all characters? So if I get Rocket Boost can I unlock it legacy-wide or is it just for that character. Same thing with the Treek companion; seems rather restrictive to get such an expensive companion and then have it only on one character. With the legacy tree, I'm assuming that I can't develop most categories without spending credits/cartel coins. I haven't dabbled in legacy stuff yet. Checking it out so to speak! Are there any legacy categories that are considered not worth doing?

Thanks for mentioning this Shazade:)

Ive been half wanting to myself but not sure If it was an easy fix, Ive dug through the collections & things and never found a Rocket Boost in there. So ended up buying the RBoost pack on the Cartel for 320 which unlocked it for my account.

The whole Legacy/Cartel/Collections thing is a little befuddling & any info from those in the know would be great:)

Cheers

It can be a little confusing. Collections are for stuff you get from the Cartel Market -- excepting unlocks, which are always account-wide, and consumables, which are, well, consumed. The market also excludes (at this point) stronghold decorations. So what you can unlock via collections, having bought them on one toon for either CC or creds, are armour sets (you need to have equipped the whole set once to add it to your collections), weapons, emotes, vehicles and pets.

Beyond that, have a look at the Character Perks and Global Unlocks section of your achievements / legacy tab (Y on my keyboard, might be Z on yours). Global unlocks are legacy- or account-wide (not sure). Most of them can be acquired via gameplay, e.g., you get the amazingly useful Unity ability for reaching Light V on any one character. Others, such as the cooldown reductions on Rocket Boost and Quick Travel or the various add-ons to your starship, need to be purchased for either credits or Cartel Coins. Character perks, on the other hand, like the repair and mail droids or increased chance of crafting crits, only count for the character you buy them for and need to be bought for CC or credits.

Treek and HK-51, the two unlockable companions, are special cases. Treek can be bought either via the Cartel Market, or buy buying the Mercenary Contract for one million credits in the fleet's Cartel Bazaar (requires Legacy level 40). Once you do so, she is unlocked for this one character. All other characters can unlock her by buying the character perk for 300k credits, but only if your legacy level is at least 40. Alternatively, they can buy her again from the Cartel Market.

HK-51 is included in the Section X Access Authorisation, free for subscribers, but is quite tricky to get. To do so, start in Belsavis' Section X and follow the lengthy quest-line that'll involve scouring large areas of ground on four planets and two hard mode flashpoints for parts and can take weeks. After that, you can always unlock HK on another character by buying the character perk for one million credits (no other requirement) or Cartel Coins.

Hope that answers your questions.

I agree with what others have said about Treek, Rocket Boost, and Quick Travel.

I'll add that a cartel market color crystal is very nice to have. These can be found for in game credits on the GTN, but will require cartel coins to unlock for all your toons.

Make sure to buy one that has the cartel market symbol as these are the only ones that can be unlocked. They also allow you to give the highest stats +41 to a level 10 toon. In most cases, the Hawkeye crystals are the best as they give +41 power.

I agree with what others have said about Treek, Rocket Boost, and Quick Travel.

I'll add that a cartel market color crystal is very nice to have. These can be found for in game credits on the GTN, but will require cartel coins to unlock for all your toons.

Make sure to buy one that has the cartel market symbol as these are the only ones that can be unlocked. They also allow you to give the highest stats +41 to a level 10 toon. In most cases, the Hawkeye crystals are the best as they give +41 power.

I got some pale green crystals off the auction house. I'll send them to the Cathar Jedi I made. They were quite cheap too! Some crystals have Expertise on them, which I think isn't PvE related, so I'm avoiding them for now. I've also been looking at the outfit boxes as in lower and upper armor. I think I better stop doing that to avoid clutter and to save resources. :D Thanks a lot for the crystal info. :)

Edited by Sharzade

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.