The Foundation of All Desire

Lunafox

Oh,how i love this story. I mean, hell your writing skills..i just love it. It's truly sad that there isn't much of these Lord Scourge romance fanfics.

Damn you and your amazing writing skills.

And Scourge just made me want to go cry into a corner,seriously. :(

But really,i love it. Thank you,Lunafox,for your amazing story. I love reading this. :D

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh,how i love this story. I mean, hell your writing skills..i just love it. It's truly sad that there isn't much of these Lord Scourge romance fanfics.

Damn you and your amazing writing skills.

And Scourge just made me want to go cry into a corner,seriously. :(

But really,i love it. Thank you,Lunafox,for your amazing story. I love reading this. :D

Well thank you so much! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Like you it amazes me there aren't more Lord Scourge stories, he's amazing. Your feedback means a lot to me!

The Foundation of All Desire (Part 21)

“How long has she been this way?” Derrin Weller whispered.

Master Kiwiiks shook her head. “Ever since she arrived. She barely eats, barely talks. When she thinks no one is watching, she cries. I wish I could find a way to help her.”

“Do you think she’s lost to us for good?”

“No.” Master Kiwiiks shook her head. “I’ll never believe that. But she does need our help. Master Satele asked me to try but I’m at a loss. Neither of us could reach her. She doesn’t trust us.”

“Is it true she was involved with the Emperor’s Wrath?”

Master Kiwiiks nodded. “Sadly, yes. But I think it best we don’t speak of it. Which of us, hasn’t made mistakes. There are no perfect people or Jedi.”

Derrin nodded. “Such a shame. I remember when she first arrived. So spirited and energetic. Eager to work…”

“You know, that’s an idea. Do you know anyone who could use some help?”

Derrin stroked his chin. “Master Relnex seems to have his hands full with the younglings.”

“That’s a splendid idea. I think it’d be best if you talked to her. I think she’s tired of seeing me.” Master Kiwiiks smiled.

“As good as done.”

“Thank you Derrin. I’ll let him know to expect her.” Master Kiwiiks steepled her hands and disappeared down the hallway.

Liatrix watched groups of padawans take turns in the sparring pits with Liam Dentiri’s training droids. Curled up in the lower curve of the circular window in the meditation room, she found it all too easy to drift away and relive her mistakes.

The memories clung to her like anchors, threatening to pull her under water. Her face burned and she pressed her cheek to the window. The cool glass felt good—the sensation just enough to ground her to the present. Her fingers curved over the lid of the colourful tin one of the padawans had gifted her with earlier.

She didn’t stir when Derrin Weller approached.

“Liatrix, I heard you were back with us. So good to see you again. I trust you remember me?”

“Oh, of course Derrin. Nice to see you too.” She turned her attention back to the view, hoping he’d keep walking, like the others had.

“I have a favour to ask of you. Master Relnex could use some help.”

“What can I do?”

Derrin chuckled. “He’s been put in charge of the younglings. It’s his second day.”

“Younglings?” Liatrix hesitated. “I don’t know. I’m not good with…”

“Come now. Don’t look so terrified. They’re just younglings.” Derrin urged her to follow.

“I don’t think they should be around someone like me…I’m not exactly a role model.”

“I think they should be around someone exactly like you. I know it would be good for Master Relnex.” Derrin chuckled.

“Why do I feel like there’s something you’re not telling me?”

Derrin paused just before the classroom and pointed. “He’s in there.”

Liatrix narrowed her eyes. “Aren’t you coming?”

“Uh no. I’ve got somewhere else to be. May the force be with you.”

“Thanks.” Liatrix arched a brow as she watched Derrin beat a hasty exit. “Why do I feel like I’m being sent off to battle…” She muttered under her breath.

Peals of laughter and shrill screams drew her attention back to the classroom. She peered around the door frame to spy. Her mouth fell open.

“Younglings…younglings, your attention please…” Master Relnex called out to deaf ears.

Bound to the central support column at the ankles, waist and shoulders with a trio of waist cords, Relnex riggled under the bindings. Six training droids orbited the young master like tiny vicious moons, jolting him at intervals.

The holographic form of Master Kiwiiks struggled to be heard over the din. Blast helmets littered the floor, and it smelled like something was on fire. A gaggle of younglings raced past the doorway waving their practice swords, recreating what could only be the sacking of Coruscant.

Liatrix winced at the high pitched squeals and set the tin she was holding aside.

She snickered and drew up the hood of her black robes. She strode in the classroom, her cloak billowing behind her and ignited one of her red-black lightsabers. The feral growl echoed through the classroom.

The younglings screamed. Their practice sabers clattered to the floor. Wide eyed and terrified, the group huddled behind Master Relnex. “Please save us.”

“You’re a Sith.” One of the children whimpered.

“Are you going to kill us?” Another chimed in, daring a peek from behind Relnex’s hip.

“Silence.” Liatrix hissed her best impersonation of Lord Scourge.

Relnex glanced down at the semi-circle of blubbering frightened children clinging to him. His green eyes were almost as wide as theirs.

Liatrix resheathed her lightsaber and crossed her arms. “Your Master can’t save you now. Maybe if you hadn’t tied him up, you’d be safe now.”

“What are you going to do?” Said Relnex.

“I’m going to take this lot to Korriban of course. There, they’ll be trained as Sith. Judging from what I see here, it shouldn’t be too hard.”

“We don’t want to be Sith.” A female Togruta bawled.

“Then stop acting like it.” With a wave of her hand, Liatrix dispatched the training droids to hover in the corner. “Untie Master Relnex now. Then sit down.”

Two of the boys worked quickly to free their teacher and then sat with the others.

“Sit up straight. Eyes front.” Liatrix warned. She crossed the room and tamped out the small fire in the corner, and picked up the flapping goldie on the floor and returned it to the aquarium.

The sound of bodies shifting to sit up echoed around the room.

“Now, I want all of you to apologize to Master Relnex. Respect your master. Always.”

“Sorry Master Relnex.” The younglings murmured in unison, their heads bowed.

Relnex straightened his robes and cinched his waist cord.

“I was told you’d be expecting me.” Liatrix drew back her hood.

“Ah, I see Master Liatrix has arrived at last. Best of luck to you both.” Master Kiwiik’s image flickered over the holocom and then vanished.

“Master Liatrix.” Relnex bowed. “I didn’t recognize you at first.”

“It’s been a long time.” Liatrix nodded. “The new haircut and the beard…it’s a good look for you.”

Relnex blushed. “Thank you. Suffice it to say, we’ve both changed. You’ve become quite…formidable. And thank you for rescuing me, though I suspect they’d have untied me today.”

“Okay.” She averted her gaze to keep a straight face. “So, what are they supposed to be doing?”

“Practicing focus.”

“Why don’t we take the lesson outside, it’s a nice day out.”

“Do you think that’s a good idea?”

“Look on the bright side, you might come back with a few less.” Liatrix deadpanned.

Master Relnex blinked, as he tried to decide if she was joking. “Younglings, this is Master Liatrix. Give her a proper welcome.”

The children looked to each other and collectively swallowed before speaking. “Hello Master Liatrix.”

“Hello Sithlings.” She narrowed her eyes and took a moment to study each face. “Pick up your helmets and your training sabers. Partner up, and stay close”. Anyone wandering off will be eaten by flesh raiders and won’t get a treat after class.”

The younglings nodded quickly, their eyes wide as plates.

One of the children put their hand up.

Liatrix pointed to him. “What is it?”

“Aren’t you supposed to protect us?”

“No.” Liatrix shook her head incredulously. “You can’t always rely on someone else. You have to learn to protect yourselves, but I’ll show you how.”

“But Jedi are supposed to protect the weak.”

Liatrix flashed a sardonic smile at the boy and watched him slink back to the others.

Relnex leaned in to whisper. “You’ve got a real knack for this.”

“I know it’s not exactly the Jedi way, but I’ll do my best to help.” She whispered behind her hand.

“I have a feeling I’ll be learning a few things myself. Welcome aboard.” Relnex offered his hand.

“Thanks.” Liatrix clasped his hand and shook it. “So…mind if I ask what you did?”

“I’m not sure I understand.”

“To deserve this? It’s a punishment isn’t it? Getting stuck here?”

“No. I actually volunteered.”

“And here I’ve been labouring under the impression that you’re sane.”

Relnex chuckled. “Mostly. Looks like they’re lined up and ready to go.”

Liatrix clapped her hands. “Well done Sithlings. You just might learn to become Jedi yet.”

Later that afternoon, Liatrix awarded each youngling a pair of Corellian double chocolate chip cookies as they filed by.

“Good work today. Remember to keep your eye on your opponent at all times.”

“Yes Master Liatrix.”

Master Relnex peered into the tin. “Do I get one Master?”

“Have you been good?”

“Mostly.” Master Relnex made a show of looking convincingly innocent.

She passed a cookie to him and kept one for herself. “Cheers.” Liatrix tapped her cookie to his in a mock toast.

“These are good. Where did you get them?”

“One of the padawans made them…to cheer me up.”

Relnex smiled. “I usually take a walk to clear my mind at the end of the day. Would you care to join me?”

“It sounds a lot better than going back to my room.”

“Good, I’ll show you my favorite meditation spot. It’s very peaceful.”

After an hour long hike up the winding Pilgrim’s Way, Master Relnex deviated from the path and beckoned to Liatrix.

“We’re almost there. Watch those low lying branches.” He turned and held up those he could reach, to keep them from whipping her in the face.

She followed him through the rusty leafed thicket out to a flat stone overhang. Under the precipice, a trio of waterfalls roared. Below, the river snaked through the pine forest, glossy, deep and dark.

“I’d forgotten how scenic Tython is.” Liatrix murmured. She drew a deep breath, filling her lungs to capacity with the fragrant earthy smell of loam and pine needles.

“And inspiring. When the sun sets, you can see the moons rise up over the horizon, side by side. I’ve been coming here since I was a padawan.”

“You were raised here at the temple?” Liatrix sat on the edge of the precipice and let her feet dangle over the side.

“Yes, I grew up here. My parents were killed when I was a baby, and I had no other family. The Jedi took me in. When they discovered I was force sensitive, I was kept on to train.” Relnex slid in next to Liatrix. “What about you?”

Liatrix frowned. “I don’t remember much. Actually, I don’t remember anything. I think I was in a similar situation as you were, except that I was on Coruscant. I was a teenager when I arrived here.”

“I remember.” Master Relnex smiled.

“You were already a Master.”

“Are you implying I’m old?” Relnex chuckled.

Liatrix laughed. “No. I’m implying you worked really hard.”

Relnex smiled and looked down at his clasped hands. “I remember being in awe of your energy and persistence. When I’d heard you were back…I’d hoped to visit you sooner.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“I’d heard you preferred to be on your own. As you’ve probably guessed, very little stays secret around here.”

“I wouldn’t know. Everyone seems to walk on eggshells around me. But, I suppose I haven’t given them any reason not to.”

“How are you doing? Are you feeling any better?”

Liatrix nodded. “It was good being around the younglings, and you.”

Relnex blushed. “They took a real liking to you.”

“They’re a good group, once you get to know them. So what made you volunteer to teach them?”

“I wanted a new challenge, and I like children. I’d like to think, if I wasn’t a Jedi, I’d have been a father someday.”

“You’re very gentle with them. You’d have made a good one.”

“They need a firm hand. I hate saying no to them.”

Liatrix nodded and focussed on the horizon with its varying shades of muted coral and turquoise.

“Is something troubling you Liatrix?”

“I can’t help wondering about where I came from.”

“Curiosity is natural. We all think about our families at one time or another.”

“I hadn’t given it much thought, but lately I’ve started dreaming about this family and I don’t know what to make of it.”

“What happens?”

“Most of the dreams are about a little girl and her father. I want to see his face, but I can’t. I either wake up, or something happens in the dream.”

“Do you think you might be dreaming about your own family?”

“I don’t know.” Liatrix shook her head. “Maybe? The house and the people are always the same—the faceless man, his wife, their little girl, and sometimes there is a Twi’lek nanny. Sometimes I feel like the little girl is me, but not me. I feel…disconnected. Almost like I’m having someone else’s memories.”

“That is unusual. Have you considered writing down these dreams?”

“No…”

“The details might help you. I know we’re not encouraged to dwell on the past, but perhaps if you kept track it would bring you some peace of mind. Or you could do some research. Perhaps the Force is trying to remind you of something you need to remember.”

“I wouldn’t know where to start.”

“Keep your data pad by your bed. Record the dreams before you forget them. When you have enough details, maybe we can check the archives.”

“I’ll give that a try. Thank you.”

“If there is anything I can help you with just ask.”

Liatrix nodded and picked up a small pine branch. She twisted the stem and watched the needles fan out like a skirt.

“You seem to like children. Have you ever thought what it might be like to be a mother?”

Liatrix stopped twirling the branch. She glanced over at Relnex, her gaze fixed on his bright green eyes.

“I’m sorry, is that too personal?”

She hesitated and gnawed at the inside of her lower lip as she debated confiding in him.

“Liatrix?” Relnex pressed.

“I was married. You might have heard rumors about that. What I haven’t told anyone is, that I lost a child.”

“I’m really sorry, I shouldn’t have brought it up.”

“You couldn’t have known. It’s okay.” She looked up at the sky, and then down at her hands. “It feels better to actually admit it to someone. Hiding it makes me feel like it’s a crime.”

“Being around the younglings, it’s not painful is it? Because if it is…”

“No, I really had fun. Helping them, gave me an outlet for my feelings.”

“If at any time, you need a moment, tell me. I’d like to help you through this.” Said Relnex.

Why…why would you want to help me?”

“What happened to you Liatrix? It’s as if you feel like you’re not worth the bother.”

Liatrix’s lower lip tremored and her eyes blurred. She looked down at the pine branch. “Because I’m not.”

Relnex tipped her chin up and leaned in, “You are worth the trouble,” he whispered. “I don’t know what made you question your self-worth like this…”

Liatrix’s shoulders shook. She sniffed and turned her head away.

“Come here.” Relnex drew her close and held her. “You cry as much as you need to. Don’t hold back, don’t worry about what anyone else thinks. I’m here for you.”

Liatrix cleaved to him and sobbed into his shoulder.

He petted her hair and rested his chin atop her head. “Every day, you’ll get a bit stronger.” He murmured. He breathed in the scent of the sea and palm trees and closed his eyes.

An hour later, the sun hung low on the horizon. Liatrix sighed. “That’s what happened. Now you know everything.”

“You need to forgive yourself. All that happened will always be a part of who you are, but this is why we’re encouraged to let go of the past. We could drive ourselves mad with regrets.”

“I know. I’m trying.” Said Liatrix.

“Now you know what they say about trying.” Relnex chided gently.

Liatrix smiled. “I remember.”

“With failed expectations, comes anger, and that leads to the dark side. You haven’t failed anyone. You’ve touched millions of lives for the better, even if they don’t know it. Try to remember that Liatrix.”

“It’ll be dark soon.”

Relnex glanced about. “You’re right. We should go, our supper is probably waiting.”

Liatrix saluted him. “Aye aye Captain.”

“Now, that’s what I like to hear.”

“You harbour secret fantasies of being a ship’s Captain?” Liatrix teased.

Relnex blushed. “Among other things.” He offered his hand to help her up.

Liatrix stood and hugged him. “Thank you for listening.”

“It’s what Jedi do…that, and rescue teachers from their pupils. Come on…”

Lord Scourge sensed the Jedi’s presence nearby. From his balcony, he scanned the path leading to the tower. He spotted a pair near the waterfall. He took up his electrobinoculars and observed.

“Damn you Jedi.”

He stalked inside and eyed the silent red and silver droid in the corner. He had reassembled T7 days ago, but had decided against re-activating the droid. He knelt and entered a sequence of command codes into the droid’s control panel and flicked a switch.

The astromech bleeped and chirped to life. After spinning three times, the droid rolled closer to Scourge.

“T7=glad to see Sith! T7 + Sith=find Jedi?”

“I need to send an encrypted transmission to the Dark Council. You will comply.”

“T7=happy to help Sith. T7 misses Master Liatrix. Jedi=good friend.”

“Enough. Begin transmission.”

The droid bleeped and flashed, and then fell silent after the transmission was complete.

A half hour passed before the droid beeped and whirred, warning of an incoming communication.

T7’s eye projected the blue flickering image of an imposing masked Sith Lord before Scourge.

“Darth Marr, this is Lord Scourge, former Wrath of our Lord Emperor.”

“I remember you. I also remember you betrayed the Emperor, and assisted the Jedi in breaching the Dark Temple. State your business.”

“I won’t waste your time with explanations, however it’s time you learned of the Emperor’s true intentions regarding the galaxy.”

“Continue.” Marr clasped his hands behind his back, his posture rigid.

“The Emperor is not the being he once was. He seeks to destroy every living thing…he won’t stop until he has consumed every planet, every system. He poses a threat to all life, not only the Empire. I’ve devoted my entire life to ensure that he fails in this goal.”

Marr stood in silent contemplation for several moments. For anyone other than Scourge, this might have been unnerving.

“Recent developments and revelations I’ve become privy to, validate your claim. I sense the truth in your words. I have sensed the Empire is in grave danger for some time now. I do however question the timing of your disclosure.”

“I warned the Jedi, so that they would stop the Emperor’s plan but they have become complacent in their victory. The Hand seeks to revivify Him, so that he may continue His plan. They have the means to do so, and I sense other forces at work, who share in that goal.”

“It falls upon me to ensure the survival of the Empire. Your disclosure is noted, Lord Scourge, though I doubt your motivations are as altruistic as you make them seem.”

“Seeking to halt the imminent destruction of the entire galaxy, is motivation enough.”

“Are you telling me, you have no ulterior motive such as a return to the Empire, complete with the absolution my gratitude and that of the Dark Council would earn?”

“I won’t deny that I’ve entertained the notion of returning home one day.”

Marr’s image paced and he fell silent again.

“Not an unreasonable exchange. Keep me informed of any developments. Remaining where you are is of greater advantage to the Empire for now. Perhaps, if we work together as a united entity, we might once and for all excise this rot and keep it from spreading any further.”

“Very well, we have an accord.”

“Marr out.”

“End transmission.”

Lord Scourge ran his hand over the lower half of his face and considered the droid. “Your mistress is at the Jedi Temple. Leave me.”

T7 rocked back and forth. “T7 = grateful to Sith.” The droid rolled down the ramp and out into the night.

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Oh, I'm so glad you wrote a new part to this story. :)

Master Relnex did blush alot. :D He was such a sweetheart :p And again I felt bad for poor Liatrix :(

Keep up the good work! ;)

Well thank you! I plan to keep doing it every week until it's done, and the way it's shaping up it'll be a while before its done (thankfully, cause I'd miss doing it...)

Our dear Master Relnex, he really is a wonderful young Jedi. I always liked him, and hoped we could interact more with him. He seems very committed to the order and to being a good Jedi. :) I think he'll be quite helpful to our fallen Miss. :)

His first memory of her sustained him for three hundred years—the last would have to sustain him for eternity.

Om nom nom :o

And Jedi, thinking in absolutes...tsk, tsk!

I could really see Lord Scourge getting good with droids over the course of three hundred years. For more than just smashing them, I mean.

Loving this!

Om nom nom :o

And Jedi, thinking in absolutes...tsk, tsk!

I could really see Lord Scourge getting good with droids over the course of three hundred years. For more than just smashing them, I mean.

Loving this!

Thanks! That line was my favorite too. I squee'd a little when it came to me. :o

Three hundred years is a long time, I bet he's acquired a few mad skills along the way. :D

The Foundation of All Desire (Part 22)

The man stood before the blazing hearth, his hands clasped behind his back. He didn’t speak. He didn’t move. He didn’t have to—the world came at his summons. The fire held a city, its sterling spires engulfed in flame. One by one, ships filled the sky, until the ground below was blanketed with shadow.

The little girl scampered into the man’s favorite chair, and sank into the soft warm leather. The slight tilt of his head told her he was watching the flames dance, and she watched with him. Amid the flames, she could see a great crowd gathering in the vision.

Leaning in closer, she watched the jubilant forces, their victory anthem growing in pitch, until the vast hall echoed with triumph. Acres of people saluted him. Behind him, the circular paned window was dark except for the pinpoints of starlight that served as their flag.

The multitudes parted, allowing a woman to pass through. Resplendent in black robes, she knelt before the man. He bowed his head and offered his hand to raise her up. She stood at his side—closer than any dared, and her posture mirrored his.

The sun rose up over the world’s horizon, and together, they basked in the perfection of the moment.

When the images faded in the fire, the little girl picked up the shimmering metallic oval from the chair’s armrest. Pudgy fingers greedily explored every groove, as if the mask were a coveted prize.

Her mother appeared, clad in frothy layers of blue shimmer silk, and gently pried the mask away.

The child whimpered and reached for it.

“You shouldn’t be playing with this.” Her mother scolded.

“Liaseph…the child won’t harm it. She must learn, it’s her future.”

“I only wish to teach her respect for your things, my love.”

“Had you seen her reverence a moment ago, you would know, she already does.”

The man scooped the little girl into his arms and held her close. She yawned and dropped her chin on his shoulder.

As he nestled her into bed, she grazed his cheek where the mask had left its indelible marks. “Why do you hide?”

“To keep you safe.”

“Who was the lady in the fire?”

“You could see?” His ocean blue eyes, almost disbelieving.

The little girl nodded. “Who was she, papa?”

He hesitated. “That was you.” He clasped her tiny hand in his and brushed a kiss over her knuckles. “Now sleep child.”

A series of bleeps and whirrs sounded next to Liatrix. She blinked and fought the urge to turn over and continue sleeping. Calmer than she’d ever felt, she wanted nothing more than to return to the dream.

She gasped and sat bolt upright. “I need to get this down…”

T-7 spun around and bleeped. “Jedi + still in bed = late for school.”

“I know, I just need a minute. You go ahead T7, I’ll be along shortly. Tell Master Relnex I’m running a little late today.”

Her fingers flew over the data pad. She added the new details to the few she remembered from the other dreams.

“The mother’s name was Liaseph.” She clasped the data pad to her chest, beaming at the new details. “And the child was able to share in her father’s visions.”

Another possibility occurred to her, and her smile faded.

Theron Shan leaned against the edge of the planning table, his arms folded, and his legs crossed above the ankles. He could have just as easily been standing against a bar in a cantina, and truth be told, he would have preferred that to the briefing. He watched Colonel Rian Darok pace the room as he administered his hazardous mission briefing to his special forces teams.

“It goes without saying, this mission is strictly classified. One more detail needs to be ironed out before it’s a go. Until such time, you’re on standby. All clear? Dismissed.” Darok commanded. The teams filtered out of the room, leaving Theron alone with the Colonel.

“So, this is where I come in, right?”

“Affirmative. Thanks for coming Shan.” The men shook hands.

Theron nodded. “Well, let’s have it, what do you need from me Colonel?”

“I understand you have certain connections with the Jedi.”

“You could say that.” Theron’s eyes narrowed. He bristled at the soldier’s implication, that he was aware of his upbringing, and his familial connection. He liked to keep that segment of his life under wraps for the most part. “I take it you need a favor.”

“That’s it in one.” Darok sighed heavily. “I need you to get me the Hero of Tython. I need her on this.”

“You realize the Jedi aren’t going to look favorably on this request. As I understand it, she still has a few weeks of…rehab left.”

“That’s precisely why you’re here. If anyone can convince the Jedi Council to release her from her obligation, you can.”

“Why her? There are plenty of other Jedi out there.”

“But none with her rank and military experience. She’ll do what it takes to get the job done. Whatever it takes.”

Theron ran his hand over the lower half of his face and turned his back to Darok to hide his reluctance. He’d thought of the Jedi more often than he cared to admit even to himself. He’d thought about checking on her, but decided he was probably the last person she’d want to see. Pulling her out too soon could be damaging. He shook his head. She was damaged enough. Not to mention he’d need a psych evaluation for even considering pursuing her.

“Come on Shan. Make it happen. Remember the SIS stands to gain a great deal from this Op. The intelligence alone, should have you chomping at the harness. I was told you were the best, and I need all the best people on this. Get me the Jedi.”

“Look, I’ll do what I can. No promises.”

Darok frowned, but gave a grudging nod.

“Don’t forget to go over the first three traditional forms for tomorrow.” Liatrix called after the younglings at dismissal.

Relnex nodded. “Good work today everyone.” He leaned in to whisper. “They look tired.”

“They worked hard today. I’m sure they’ll sleep well later.”

“You seem far away. Is there something on your mind?” Said Relnex.

“I think I finally have something to go on. The mother’s name was Liaseph.”

“Not a common name…and similar to yours.”

“That can’t be a coincidence. She has to be my mother.”

“I think this warrants a trip to the archives. Shall we?”

Liatrix grinned. “Try to hold me back.”

“You are the most enthusiastic person I’ve ever known.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” Liatrix grinned.

Satele Shan packed a week’s worth of clothing, and checked her data pad for anything else she needed for her meeting with the Drayvos League.

The holocom on her bedside table chirped, and she abandoned her packing to take the call.

“Theron, this is a surprise. It’s good to see you. You look well.”

“Thanks. So do you.”

“What can I do for you?”

Theron’s brows met. Even over the holo she must have sensed that he wanted something. Then again, it wasn’t like he called at any other time.

“I need a favour. Colonel Darok needs Master Liatrix for a priority mission to Korriban.”

“Why didn’t he ask me himself?”

“I think he believed I'd have more success, given our…connection.”

“I see.” Master Satele pursed her lips, her gaze thoughtful. “I realize you wouldn’t ask, were it not important. Master Relnex reports that she’s making progress. I don’t wish to see that jeopardized. While I would have preferred she remain here and accept more of his counsel, I can’t deny Colonel Darok her expertise in such a vital mission.”

“I appreciate it.”

“I’ll ask her to make her way to the fleet and await further instruction.”

“Thank you.” Theron exhaled his relief. He had anticipated a much more difficult conversation. “Take care Satele.”

“You too Theron. Don’t hesitate to call on me again.”

He nodded and clipped off his holo. “Guess I better get the party started.”

“I’m sorry Liatrix. I know it must be disappointing.” Relnex paused on the Pilgrim’s path that lead to the meditation spot.

“I was sure we’d find something in the archives.” Her shoulders slumped and her brows knitted together. “I guess it was unrealistic of me to hope that a single name would be enough.”

Relnex nodded and continued the trek to the rock outcropping in silence.

She followed him under the thick canopy of branches. The rushing song of the nearby waterfalls reminded her of a rainstorm.

“I love the sound of the water. I feel instantly better when I hear it. If I didn’t know better, I’d say you bring me here on purpose.”

Relnex smiled and sat at the edge of the outcropping and patted the patch of stone next to him. “Come sit.”

“You sound so serious.”

“I’m worried about you, I know you had high hopes.”

“Even if we didn’t find anything, I’m sure they’re my parents. I can feel it.”

He glanced over at her, parting his lips as if to speak before reconsidering.

She tilted her head and peered up at him. “I know what you’re thinking…you’re worried this will turn into an obsession.”

Relnex drew a deep breath. “That is a concern, yes, but I sense that you haven’t told me everything, and I’d like to know why. I sense fear in you.”

“Not much gets past you, I see.” Liatrix murmured.

“I’d like to think, that I’ve gotten to know you pretty well these last few weeks. I trust you, but I had hoped that trust was mutual.”

“No, you’re wrong, I do trust you. I’m just not sure what to make of the feeling I had.”

He turned to face her and took her hands in his. “Then tell me. We can try to figure it out together. You shouldn’t keep so much to yourself.”

Liatrix sighed. “Okay. What if I tell you, I don’t think my parents were Jedi.”

“That’s not an unnatural conclusion, from what you’ve told me. Marriages between Jedi have occurred, but it’s very rare. If that were the case, your mother’s name surely would have shown up in the registry. Perhaps they had force abilities, but for whatever reason they kept to themselves.”

“You’re not saying the obvious.”

“No. I haven’t. But even if they were Sith, that doesn’t affect who you are. Many children were rescued from war battered homes by the Jedi. It’s not our place to decide which side is deserving of help. We freely help all of those in need, especially the innocent.”

“Still, I wish I could know for sure, so that I can put it behind me. It bothers me, that I don’t remember anything. I wasn’t a baby like you were, I was older. I should remember something.”

“And you do. Maybe not consciously, but through your dreams, you remember them, and that they loved you. Isn’t that the most important thing?”

“I suppose.” Liatrix whispered. “You always try to help me feel better, and I want you to know I appreciate it.”

Relnex felt his cheeks tingle with heat. “You’re very welcome. Always.”

Liatrix cupped his cheek, and gazed into his eyes for a long moment, and then leaned in and kissed him. She lingered over his soft warm mouth and suckled his lower lip, as she sought to deepen the kiss. Her hands slid lower, over his chest, where she could feel his heart pounding faster than a charging akk dog.

From the balcony of the old summit tower another set of eyes fixed on the Jedi pair. Lord Scourge snarled as he watched through his electrobinoculars. “I see you’ve found another victim already. He won’t last a standard week.” He snorted.

Relnex jerked away and shook his head. He gently clasped her hands and returned them to her own lap.

She looked startled. “I’m sorry, did I do something wrong?”

“No—I mean yes. What I—What I mean to say…is we shouldn’t. It’s not right, it’s not the Jedi way. We mustn’t give in to passion…I don’t mean to hurt your feelings, but it’s wrong. It’s wrong.” He murmured the last part, almost as if trying to thoroughly convince himself.

“I’ve made you feel uncomfortable.” Liatrix looked down. “I’m sorry. I just…I thought…”

“It’s all right. No harm done. I can sense that you meant well. You are a very loving person. Were we not Jedi, had we not sworn ourselves to duty above all, I wouldn’t have waited this long to seek your affection. I am flattered.”

Liatrix felt as if her cheeks had been scalded. She rose and took a few steps away from him. She hugged herself and swallowed hard. She felt the start of hot tears building and shifted her gaze, hoping that they’d somehow vanish back into her eyes. “I’m sorry. I am…very sorry.” Her voice broke. She eyed a large boulder near the thicket like an ally. If she could have found a way to hide under it, she would have.

“I’m the one who’s sorry. I never meant to hurt or embarrass you, or make you feel bad in any way.” Said Relnex.

Liatrix nodded, but didn’t look up.

“We’re still friends, I hope.” Relnex pressed.

“Of course we are.” Liatrix dabbed at the corners of her eyes. Her holo chimed. “I should get this.” She dried her face and took a deep breath.

Relnex nodded. “By all means.”

“Liatrix here, go ahead.”

Satele Shan’s blue holographic form sprang up. “Master Liatrix. A mission of vital importance has come up, and you are to report to the fleet at once for a briefing. There you will be contacted with further instructions.”

“Master Satele…can you tell me anything more? What’s this about?”

“Due to the sensitive nature of the mission, I can’t tell you much more than that. You will understand why when you reach the fleet.”

“Can’t we discuss this before I go?”

“I’m sorry, I’m already en route to the Drayvos league, so I won’t get to see you off personally, however I do wish to caution you. Please be careful. You’ve made such progress, I would like to see that continue.”

“Master Satele…what about my crew?”

The grandmaster looked thoughtful, perhaps even reluctant. “This mission will require everyone’s help and co-operation. You may contact them, when you’re ready. Be mindful of all you’re learned.” The implication of her last warning wasn’t lost on Liatrix.

“Thank you, Master Satele.”

“May the force be with you. Satele out.”

Liatrix clipped off the holo and returned it to her pocket.

“Looks like I’ll be on my own with the younglings for a while.” Said Relnex. “Please be careful.”

“You too.” Liatrix flashed him a knowing smirk and started for the path.

Relnex followed. His brows furrowed, and he kept his eyes on the ground as he walked.

Lord Scourge set aside his electrobinoculars and laughed. A smug gleam lit his eyes.

“Serves you right Jedi.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Oh yay, a new chapter.

Well, i'll just say i wen't sad from Relnex's reaction of that kiss.

And Scourge was just being..arghh. :D

Hnngh good chapter, and Scourge stalking on her (?). Dunno.

But yeah..good job! ;)

Damn you Jedi Code, and your emotionless crap.

Oh yay, a new chapter.

Well, i'll just say i wen't sad from Relnex's reaction of that kiss.

And Scourge was just being..arghh. :D

Hnngh good chapter, and Scourge stalking on her (?). Dunno.

But yeah..good job! ;)

Damn you Jedi Code, and your emotionless crap.

Glad you enjoyed it! :) Sorry to disappoint about Relnex, believe me, it was hard for me to hold him back, because I was curious too, he hee (like I said to another friend, someday I might write an alternate scene for fun). But in all honesty, I wanted to show what a true Jedi's reaction would be to her, and Liatrix really did need someone to be firm with her, and keep her honest.

As for Scourge...I wanted to show a couple of things with his 'occupation'. I wanted to show that he is slowly going out of his mind with boredom in that tower in Jedi land, and boredom tends to make you focus on things you probably shouldn't. Also, I wanted to show a certain normalcy about him, despite his age. I think many people who break up with someone have regrets, and curiosity about what their former partner is doing. I can see that someone who is possessive, could turn a bit obsessive too...it's hard to let go, and I could see that quality about dear Scourge. :)

The Foundation of All Desire (Part 23)

“Liatrix, hold up!” Master Relnex jogged across the Temple’s shuttle hanger. Behind him a dozen younglings trotted like baby ducks, the smallest of them brandishing a small drawstring pouch.

“Master Relnex…Sithlings…this is a surprise.” She turned her back on the boarding ramp to meet them.

“They wanted to see you off, and they have something for you.” He shooed the smallest child forward.

“You do?” Liatrix knelt. “Will you show me?”

“We made this for you.” The little girl passed over the burlap pouch tied with ribbons. “To remember us, when you’re away.”

Liatrix pulled apart the green ribbons and reached inside. “It’s beautiful…is this really for me?”

“We all helped make it.”

“I found the beads.”

“I made the pattern.” Another chirped.

“Help me put it on.” Liatrix curved the braided cuff about her left wrist and the littlest one hooked the clasp.

“All these colours…I love it.”

“There’s one for each of us.” The eldest girl explained.

“Come here, all of you.” Liatrix opened her arms wide. The circle of younglings drew in close for a group hug. “Even if I’m far away, I could never forget any of you. Thank you.”

“Do you really have to go?”

“Why can’t you stay with us?”

Liatrix hugged each child one by one. “Because that’s what it means to be a Jedi. Sometimes we have to give up what we want, so that we can help others. I’ll be back as soon as I can, don’t worry. And respect Master Relnex. No more tying him up, okay?”

“I’ll never live that down,” Relnex chuckled. “Younglings, we should let Master Liatrix be on her way.”

“I’m happy you came to see me off. I didn’t think there would be time.”

Relnex clasped her hands. “When it’s important, we make the time. Be safe out there.”

“You too.” She gave his hands a squeeze and started up the boarding ramp. Half way up, she stopped to wave. When they disappeared from sight, she went inside.

Liatrix took a long look around the Defender. She’d always considered the ship her home, but now she found herself torn between it, and the planet she’d once considered a punishment. Despite her absence, nothing had changed. The ship, as always was a constant.

“Master.” Kira called out. “It’s good to have you back.”

“Good to be back. I missed you. Looks like being in command agrees with you.”

“It had its moments, but I’m more than happy to go back to playing solitaire with the computer—I mean assist you.” Kira chuckled and turned toward Rusk. “You made it. And not a moment too soon.”

“Sergeant Rusk, reporting for duty.” Rusk saluted.

“At ease.” Liatrix clapped Rusk’s arm. “Looks like we’re in for some excitement.”

“Looking forward to it sir.”

“Doc aboard?”

“Yeah, got here just before you did. He and T7 are unpacking his supplies.”

“You mean his energy pudding.” Liatrix teased.

“Yeah.” Kira smirked. “Just hope he brought extra chocolate this time.”

“Me too. Well, we best get underway. Sooner we get this done, sooner we can kick back and relax.”

“Gotcha.” Kira made her way to the cockpit and set the co-ordinates to rejoin the fleet.

Downstairs, Liatrix rapped on the med bay’s door frame. “Got a sec?”

“Sure thing beautiful.”

“I wanted to thank you for coming.”

“Don’t mention it. You know there’s no place old Doc would rather be. Who needs a cushy hospital job when you can get shot at instead huh?” He set aside a carton of medical instruments and data pads. T7 beeped his greeting, and towed one of the crates of energy pudding to storage.

“Remember that grant you helped me apply for? It came through finally.”

“That’s great news. You’ll be the poster boy for Idolian Fever in no time.”

“I already am. They just don’t know it yet.” Doc quirked a brow.

Her eyes narrowed. “Should I be worried?”

“Nah, it’s me.”

He flashed her a devil-may-care grin and continued unpacking.

That’s what I was afraid of.” Liatrix backed away slowly trying to remember if she’d touched anything.

Half way up the stairs, the darkened cargo bay called her back, as surely as if it had spoken her name. She half expected to see the Sith standing there—greeting her with crossed arms and a death glare. The cargo hold was several degrees cooler than the med bay, and no less Spartan than she remembered.

Stacks of crates separated Scourge’s living area from the rest of the cargo bay. She ran gloved fingertips across the edge of one of the crates, as if inspecting for dust. Of course there wasn’t any. The ship’s droid, ID-V8 was nothing if not thorough. In fact the area hinted at a recent infusion of Alderaanian nectar and she wrinkled her nose.

The thunder of the ships engines and the lift vibrating the floor plates under her feet, told her they were leaving Tython’s atmosphere.

The muted lighting and cool temperatures carried her away. Her eyes closed and she shivered as the trance took hold.

Clasping her hands behind her back, she assumed the confident bearing of the woman in the dream vision—the woman, her father had said was her future self. The cargo bay became a battle bridge, sleek and angular. His words echoed around her. Let us reach…

Across the stars, she grasped, plodding and blind—uncertain if she would ever find what she was looking for. She felt the thrum of his power in her veins—a sensation so palpable, she felt like she could touch him.

Powerful, dignified and honorable, he was a man of his word, fulfilling his promises both terrifying and tender. Any benevolence in him was almost completely driven out, but she still felt remnants of adoration and protectiveness. The last vestiges of his humanity were trapped deep within, a nearly forgotten reflection of the man he once was. No man would ever best him in her affections.

She had chased these qualities her entire life, never finding their embodiment in a single man. At his side she felt safe, and she felt unstoppable. She beamed at the surge of contentment she felt.

A presence neared, forcing her from her reverie.

“What are you doing here Jedi?” The soft voice coiled about her senses, but the powerful grip of the trance was slow to fade. She opened her eyes.

“W-What?” She stammered.

Scourge folded his arms over his chest, his blazing eyes fixed on hers. “Why are you here?”

“I’m in command of this vessel. I’m under no obligation to explain myself to you, or anyone else. Do I make myself clear?” She hissed before she could stop herself.

He regarded her for several moments, the soft timbre of his voice sharpening like claws. “Quite.”

She soothed the center of her forehead, and shook off the stubborn effect of the trance.

“I take it you’ve recovered enough to resume your duties?”

“I have. Though I have to wonder, if you are capable of resuming yours, Jedi.” His eyes narrowed.

“Of course I am,” she snapped. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m needed on the bridge.” Liatrix spun on her heel and marched out of the cargo hold.

Scourge’s gaze followed her, and happened to lock eyes with Doc across the hall.

“Energy pudding?” Doc called out and held up a container. He favoured Scourge with a sardonic grin before stuffing another dollop in his mouth.

“Only if you’re serving it alongside your head on a platter.” Scourge muttered.

“More for me then.” Doc shrugged.

The Star Destroyer cut through space, with a steady and determined clip. Darth Marr stood before the observation window on the bridge, his attention fixed on the vast black sea before him with its smatterings of pinpoint lights. The dim reflection in the glass, made it seem as if he were looking back at another moment in time.

As always, the chronometer announced the date as dispassionately as any other, but this date was unlike the rest. It was an anniversary. Not one marked by joy or celebration, but with silent remembrance, and the vow, that so long as he drew breath, he would defend the Empire, so that no other man or woman would taste the bitterness of a legacy destroyed.

Such a vow did not come without its price. With each breath it siphoned away the best of him, filling the void with a darkness, capable of subjugating his grief until he felt nothing. Unwilling to turn his back to the stars, he continued to gaze and remember, and for one all too brief moment, it was as if she were there with him, an almost forgotten vision, at his side…and then she was gone.

Liatrix slumped in the Captain’s chair and gnawed at the corner of her thumbnail as the Republic Fleet came into view.

Kira set the autopilot to take them in, and turned her chair to face Liatrix.

“Do you think it’s a good idea leaving them alone down there, unsupervised?”

Liatrix’s gaze fixed on Kira. “T7 can manage. If they act up it’s nothing a few volts of electricity won’t fix.”

Kira flashed a cheeky grin at the idea of Doc hopping around holding his rump, and returned to the controls to finalize the landing.

“There you go Master…have fun.” Kira chirped.

“You know me…” Liatrix smoothed her cloak and glanced down at the crude bead bracelet encircling her wrist. She smiled and tugged the cuff of her leather glove over it carefully and disembarked.

The air was a strange mix of exhaust, engine oil, sweat and liquor. Fleet always reminded Liatrix of the seedier areas of Nar Shaddaa. Drifting into the concourse, a moody electro band ballad filtered around various languages and dialects.

She noticed a few new shops, and several that had gone out of business. She paused at the railing and watched the cantina below. With the exception of a few spacers and their paid for companions most of the clientele seemed content doing whatever brought them there.

She shifted her gaze, until it landed on a little droid that seemed a little too desperate to ‘act casual.’

“Twitchy little thing. That’s got to be him.” Liatrix mused under her breath.

The droid rolled forward and bounced from side to side, beeping and whirring it’s greeting at her.

“You = act casual. // T3-G2 recruiting for classified operation.”

Liatrix folded her arms. “I’ll never understand why they do this in public.”

The droid fine-tuned his imaging transmitters, until a familiar figure materialized before her.

“Ah just the Jedi we were looking for.”

Liatrix sighed. “Oh no…not you again. What now.” She scowled at the whiny tone her greeting ended with.

“Is that any way to talk to someone inviting you to a very special event?”

“A date…with you?” Liatrix arched a brow. “Why do I have a bad feeling about this?”

“Not to worry. It won’t be me shooting at you this time.”

“Ha. Funny.” She narrowed her eyes and glared at him incredulously. “So, what sort of special event? A girl has to know what to wear.”

“The kind the Empire won’t enjoy. See you soon.” The agent clipped off before she could say anything more.

The droid forwarded the coordinates of the briefing room to her data pad and rolled away. T3’s silver dome rotated left then right, as he made a concerted effort to seem casual. Liatrix smirked and shook her head.

“All that, and I still don’t know your name.” She muttered.

She hesitated before an unmarked entry and compared the location to her data, when the door slid open. Inside, the agent stood in the corner of the room, while a trooper—a colonel, no less, commanded his squadrons to assume attack formation over the Sith homeworld.

The agent stepped forward. “Perfect timing.”

Liatrix advanced on the projection table. “You’re actually planning a strike against Korriban?”

“Yes, and your role is crucial, Master Jedi. Glad you could join us.” The soldier turned to face her.

“This is Colonel Darok, he’s leading the Op, and I’m Theron Shan. I’m sure you remember me from our prior run-ins.”

Theron Shan…he must be related to Satele. Kind of looks like her…hmm.

Her gaze fixed on his features—the crescent shaped implant framing his left eye, and the amber brown eyes that bored into hers back on Belsavis when she fell to his toxicity dart. His countenance held a rugged determination about it, as well as an aloof quality she might have taken for a Jedi trait. She averted her eyes, when she realized she’d been staring.

“How could I forget?” Liatrix watched the formations of blips pass over the model of Korriban. “This is a lot more serious, than you lead me to believe.”

“Oh. I just assumed you’d grab the facts right out of my head.” Theron drawled.

“If I could do that, I wouldn’t need to be here, would I?”

Theron’s lip edged up at the corner.

“Enough,” Darok cut in. “Your objective is the Sith Academy. Their databases hold vital information. It could win us the war. Once we clear the LZ, it’ll be your job to breach the Academy defenses and get your hands on that data.”

“And after?” Liatrix paced, hands clasped behind her back.

“You will exfiltrate and rendezvous here. My associate, Commander Jensyn, will stay back to tie up loose ends and secondary objectives.”

“Has the Empire become so weak, that we can just march into their homeworld and take what we want?”

“Not exactly, we’re exploiting a gap in their patrols. I don’t think we need to tell you, how tough this will be. If you succeed, we will gain more intel than any previous SIS mission in the last decade.” Said Theron.

“All right, then I’ll get the party started and may the Force be with us.”

The Defender’s landing gear sank into the hot Korriban sand.

Liatrix stared out at the bright merciless sky. The sharp tang of its coral light made her eyes smart. The last time she’d set foot on the planet, the world was dark as pitch, and the praying monoliths might have been the gateway to every hell. In a split second, every accursed memory of The Well of Undying exploded in her mind. If she listened closely enough, she could hear the Emperor’s laugh carried on the wind.

Korriban was full of phantoms and devil men, all of them terrifying, but none as potent as her last memory of the place.

Death had touched her here, and it was a touch that left its indelible scar on her very essence. She saw herself at the end of all things, condemned to walk alone in the void.

There is no force…there is only death. You are damned.

She shook off the memory. A trick of the nerves, nothing more.

“You okay?” She caught Doc’s eyes on her and knew what he must be thinking. Like her, he was reliving his own personal nightmare, and their shared dread clung to them like rancid vines.

“Doc, I’d like you to stay here with Kira and take care of our wounded as they come in. T7, I want you to keep the ship on standby, in case we need to make a quick getaway. If I don’t check in, leave. Don’t hesitate. There’s no telling how long they’ll be able to hold this, especially if re-enforcements come.”

The droid whistled low and twisted his dome.

“I mean it T7. If it goes wrong, I need to know you’ll be safe.”

“And Rusk, I want you to scan for lifeforms. If anyone unwelcome shows up, kill them. If I need back up, I’ll let you know.”

“Sir, yes sir.” Rusk clacked his boots together. “Victory or death.”

Kira and Doc glanced at each other, brows furrowed.

“Let’s try to do it without the death part.” Doc murmured.

Liatrix didn’t need to glance over her shoulder to know the Sith was there too. “You’re with me. Let’s get this done, so we can get the hell off this rock.”

“After you, Jedi.”

The Sith and the Jedi trudged in silence over the craggy dunes. The tombs they passed hurled a thousand hateful whispers at them. Liatrix’s gaze shifted toward the stairs descending into the desert’s maw. Despite the sweltering sun, she felt an icy burst of cold to rival Hoth emanating from the excavations.

“I hear them too. Pay them no mind Jedi. They are deceivers, seeking to distract you from your purpose.”

Liatrix glanced over at him and nodded. She wondered if his tone was less cutting than it had been, or if she imagined it.

The sky exploded with flashes of colour and light. All around, the thunder of crashing fighters, both Imperial and Republic shook the ground. Plumes of whirling sand rose up with each impact.

To distract herself, she focussed on the databases inside the Sith Academy. The Jedi archives had no information for her, but perhaps, if she could gain access before the retrieval team got there, she might scan for her mother’s name. If nothing else, she would be certain, once and for all, if she was tied to the Sith or not. The idea grew into a plan, and urged her onwards through the wretched miles of k’lor’slugs, tukata, men and machines.

At the slave pen, she urged them to take up arms and fight for their freedom. She felt their hunger and sensed their pain, but had no provisions for them. All she could do was send them away. “Go east. Just follow the bodies. Surrender and my people will help you.”

Some decided to follow her, despite her warnings, but were soon lost. She wondered how many would actually make it to The Defender.

Dripping in blood and venom, they killed any who dared stand in their way. Side by side they fought, moving as one—back to back lethal dancers, rending their foes with an easy grace, and arousing the mobs of hateful dead to their climax.

The dance continued inside the crumbling hall. The scarlet banners burned and fluttered to the ground to pall the dead.

Scourge stood atop the rubble that was once the great Sith obelisk at the heart of the Academy. He reached out with the force. “Only one remains…” He extended his lightsaber toward the chamber ahead.

“Let’s end this.” Liatrix murmured.

She tugged her gloves up by the cuffs and pushed back the double doors leading to the heart of the Academy. At the far end of the room, archives and a database lined the wall, but before she could examine them, their foe appeared.

The enemy was a mountain of a Sith—paler skin and eyes than Scourge, but these differences aside, they could have been related.

Liatrix glanced over her shoulder at Scourge and arched a brow. “He looks like you. A descendant perhaps?”

“Not an impossibility Jedi. A man cannot sate himself on a vision alone. There were women, scores of them, before I received the Emperor’s gift.” He watched her eyes, searching for any hint of affront.

His tone was flat, nonchalant as he made his declaration. He’d never mentioned dalliances before and she wondered if this was an effort to wound her.

“Well, if he is, this is a bad time for a family reunion.”

The Sith jumped the stair rail and landed before them. “Only the greatest of all Sith are permitted in these halls. You profane our entire history by your presence alone.” He then turned to Scourge. “And to think that you of all Sith, Lord Wrath, would choose to help this Jedi sully our heritage.”

“Former Wrath. I no longer serve our Lord Emperor, Soverus. Had you any sense, neither would you.”

“Blasphemy.” Soverus snarled. “Did you think you would breach our sacred chambers and go unchallenged?”

“If that’s how you greet all your guests, it’s no wonder you’re all alone here.” Liatrix taunted.

“Your wit is a poor weapon here.”

“Then do your worst Sith. I haven’t got all day.” Liatrix ignited her lightsaber and swished it in challenge.

Not a quarter of an hour later, Soverus lay in a pool of his blood and struggled for his last breaths. He clutched his ribs and struggled to stand, but fell back. “No…the vision. You are not the one who kills me. You only cleared the way for the one that does.” He grunted.

“I’m not going to let you die…yet. I plan to have you interrogated. A Dark Council member likely has more useful intel than the database.”

Liatrix plunged Darok’s dataspike into the interface and started the download.

“Keep an eye on our friend here.” Liatrix called over to Scourge.

“What are you doing?”

Liatrix ignored him and tapped at the keys to run a search for her mother’s name. She watched as the threads of data streamed by and frowned when she sensed a new presence.

“You must be Commander Jensyn.” She didn’t turn around.

No sooner had she spoken, the other Jedi struck down the ailing Sith.

“He was beaten, why did you kill him? We could have questioned him.” Liatrix whirled around.

“Unlike you, I don’t take chances with Sith.” Jensyn glared at her, and then at Scourge.

Scourge folded his arms and glared at the new comer.

“What a waste. Think of all the intel lost.” Liatrix shook her head.

“Your work here is done Master Liatrix.”

She turned back to the spike. “The download needs to finish. There.”

“Fine. Take that back to Colonel Darok. My team and I will take it from here.” Said Jensyn.

Liatrix watched Jensyn’s reflection in the monitor and continued to scan. One string of text caught her eye and then it was gone. The download finished and Liatrix pocketed the spike.

“Let’s get out of here.” Liatrix wiped her forehead with the cuff of her sleeve.

“Agreed.”

Jensyn’s team poured into the Academy, as Scourge stepped over Soverus’s body, without so much as a second glance.

Scourge’s brows furrowed, as he watched the Jedi run ahead. She seemed almost…giddy.

You’re up to something…

((To be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Well, i was so like 'aww' at the beginning of the chapter, so cute.

I can't say more, your story is truly amazing ~ ♥

Thanks so much, I'm glad you're still enjoying it! *blush*

Awwww, younglings :)

I love the descriptions of Korriban's environment.

He hee, they really are adorable. :) I'm glad you enjoyed Korriban, I was hoping to bring something different to it, given that it's such a familiar place to all of us.

I like how you took up on some of your previous hints. And I think there was a new one I didn't get at all, so now I am really curious :D

And of course Darth Marr *sighs*

Thanks! I love dropping little clues all over the place, I just have to be careful to keep a running list, so that I remember when I need to bring them up again. :D I'm glad you're enjoying Darth Marr. I adore him myself, so he's a lot of fun for me. :)

((Warning: Slightly Disturbing imagery))

The Foundation of All Desire (Part 24)

“Master? What’s wrong?” Kira abandoned the dejarik table and followed Liatrix to the cockpit. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“Is everyone on board?”

“Yes Master, we were just waiting for you.”

“Tython is under attack.”

Kira’s eyes grew round. “How can that be? There wasn’t a distress call…”

“Set a course and open a channel.”

“Yes Master.” Kira took her seat at the helm.

Liatrix flicked the intercom button. “Battlestations everyone.”

“Master, there’s too much interference…”

“Damnit.” Liatrix hissed.

“Making the jump to hyperspace…now.” Kira warned.

The stars melted past the Defender in white hot streaks and then froze as the corvette dropped out of hyperspace, stopping just short of the dogfight. Imperial and Republic fighters zinged past, dipping and diving to avoid each other's laser fire.

Scourge frowned as he appraised the readouts. “It’s highly unlikely a reprisal of this magnitude could have been coordinated so quickly.”

“Unlikely is right. Something definitely stinks about all this.”

A blast rocked the aft section of the ship, sending Liatrix careening into Scourge. He steadied her against him. The ship lurched first to starboard, and then to port.

“They’re shooting at us.” Kira called back. “Not sure how long I can hold them off.”

Rusk aimed at the incoming fighters, chipping the wing of one of them just enough to send it skittering into another.

Liatrix lingered against the Sith for a moment longer and then backed away. She turned her back to him to hide the flush she felt in her cheeks. “Blue squadron was supposed to clear a path for us, but it looks like we’re going to have to do it ourselves.”

“Allow me.” Scourge muttered.

“Be my guest.” Kira relinquished the helm, and slid in next to Rusk.

“Set us down as close to the Temple as you can.” Liatrix stooped over the display. “There’s an opening…there…but it looks a little too convenient.”

“A ruse to put us right where they want us…leave this to me.”

Another blast rocked the Defender. “Do whatever it takes to get on the surface.” Liatrix barked.

“Then I would recommend you fasten your seat belts.”

Scourge tilted the Defender this way and that, and then rolled, skipping over the incoming cannon fire unscathed. Increasing velocity, he plunged into the incoming Imperial formation, forcing them to scatter.

“I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. You’re out of your mind.” Kira mumbled.

“Possibly.”

Blue Squadron came about, firing on the fleeing fighters before they could regroup.

“They got ‘em.” Kira cheered.

Smoke and fire extinguisher fumes drifted up from the lower deck.

“Smells like they got us too.” Liatrix glanced over. “And shields are down to twenty percent.”

“We’re okay down here, but landing might be a plan.” Doc shouted up the stairs.

“Taking us in.” Scourge veered, opting for a sharp trajectory. The corvette shuddered as it broke the atmosphere and ricocheted across the air current. Scourge winced at the sudden splash of bright light washing over the ship. His eyes watered as if someone had thrust two emergency flares into them.

He pinched the bridge of his nose and growled.

Liatrix leaned forward. “Are you all right?”

“Ask me after we land.” Scourge muttered. He pulled up to keep the corvette’s nose elevated, as they grazed the tree canopy. The Defender lurched and a grinding roar thundered over the ship. A wave of rocky loam, saplings and grasses pummelled the ship’s viewport. After an eternal minute, the Defender came full stop, less than a meter from a granitite rock face.

“Thank the Force. We made it.” Kira exhaled. “Everyone okay?”

“Looks like it.” Rusk grunted.

Liatrix straightened. “Status report.”

Kira tapped the controls to run a system scan. “Looks like one of the rear thrusters is toast. Shields holding at one percent.” Kira laughed. “All things considered, the damage is pretty minor. Gotta hand it to you Lord Scourge, you’re a fair pilot.”

“Among other things.” He murmured in his usual placid inky tone.

Doc poked his head into the cockpit, T7 in tow. “Would you look at that. We are alive. Wish I could say the same for my energy pudding.” He slaked a thick skin of muddy gunk from his sleeves.

Kira stifled a smirk.

“Let’s get to work,” Liatrix began. “T7, get started on repairs. Kira, Scourge, Rusk…if Blue squadron is going to survive up there, we need to regain control of the anti-air turrets. Round up whatever ground units you can find and make those turrets your priority. I’ll get to the Temple. Doc you’re with me. May the Force be with us.”

Liatrix stepped onto the charred grass, and surveyed the damage. Yesterday, the firmament had been a cheerful blue with pale clouds forging a lazy path across the sun. The trees reached skyward, eager fingers grasping for light and warmth. Lush and vibrant, Tython was the very embodiment of life and the Force.

Today, the picture was very different. The sky was ash. Trees burned, and flame spread across the land in all directions. Tython was laid bare, like a cauterised wound. The rivers ran gray and the fish that teemed in them bobbled along the current, bloated, pale and milky eyed. The lake swirled with the rainbow iridescence that came with spilled fuel and engine waste. In the span of a day, thousands of years of growth and beauty were reduced to char and rubble.

Fleshraider corpses criss-crossed the paths leading to the Temple. Lightsaber burns marred their bellies. Liatrix turned her head away, but it was too late. The gruesome details were already burned into memory.

She walked in stunned silence. Doc shuffled an arm’s length behind her. She could feel his anger and disgust at the waste. The one thing she had always admired about Doc, was the value he placed on all life—any life, even that of a Fleshraider. Every being was a child or a brother or sister or parent to another. Living in warzones had made him painfully aware of connections—another thing he had taught her.

Bombs shook the ground. The incessant whirring of laser cannons and pistol fire added dissonant chords to the battle noise. The pungent smoke wafted on the chill breeze.

Doc shook his head. “It’s like Balmorra all over again.”

“I can never apologize enough for what I’ve brought into your life.”

He paused. “Don’t think about it like that…think about what you saved me from.”

“I wish I could.”

“Hey, I chose this life. I’d rather die fighting than of boredom.” He took a swig from his canteen and then offered it to Liatrix.

She took a long drink and drew the back of her hand across her lips when she was done. “Whatever happens, stay back. I don’t want to see you get hurt or worse…”

He moved closer and cupped her cheek. She basked in the warmth of his gloved hand, indulging in his tenderness for a moment. “We need to keep moving.”

“I know.”

She felt a surge of guilt and regret, and with that, came the reliving of everything she’d done to him. Here was a man who had sworn an oath to do no harm, and here she was forcing him to watch her do exactly that. Killing came more easily with Scourge at her side. The Sith emboldened the stygian nature she worked hard to subdue, until she was not only judge but executioner as well. Doc was her conscience, her link to compassion and mercy. Each man represented a part of her—two halves clashing for dominance in a war that would have no victor.

She trudged up the foothills, and her mouth fell open. The once majestic Temple stood in shambles—stairs corroded, banners shredded…every window rimmed with jagged glass teeth. Dead Jedi littered the grounds and led into the temple like bread crumbs goading her to follow.

Reaching out with the Force she searched for the younglings and their Master. Her breath caught in her throat. She sprinted headlong toward the temple, scarlet sabers drawn and at the ready. Any who dared oppose her met their end.

“Liatrix, wait! Be careful!” Doc bellowed.

She stopped to catch her breath. Liam Dentiri lay sprawled across the stone cobbles. She wanted to stop, to mourn him, to give him dignity, but couldn’t. Onwards she pushed with Doc on her heels, blaster drawn.

Inside, the temple floor stuck up in thick jags, mirroring the ceiling above. The slightest vibration and the ceiling could clamp down on them.

Liatrix raced toward the youngling dormitory and found it blocked. She levitated the enormous boulder away from the door and pushed her way inside through the rubble.

Her gaze passed over the rows of beds. Her lower lip trembled. Her shoulders shook and soundless sobs escaped her throat.

Doc winced. He checked each youngling’s vitals, one by one. Liatrix’s gaze met his. Doc shook his head.

“They never even had a chance.” She squeaked.

She ordered her feet forward and marched into the next ward. “Master Kiwiiks…Luma…” She fell to her knees.

Doc scanned the elder Master and the Togruta child cosseted to her chest. “I’m sorry.”

Liatrix dragged the back of her hand across her cheeks. She tasted wet salt on her lips. A volcanic surge of anger rose up in her like a geyser. Clenching her fists she cursed and pressed on.

Not five yards further a great beam bisected the room. Beyond it, a humanoid shaped imprint marred the wall. She sensed a faint trickle of life and dashed toward it. “Relnex. It’s me…can you hear me…Please be all right…Rel.”

His breathing came in raspy irregular puffs. Summoning the force, she lifted the beam with as much gentleness as she could muster, and cast it aside.

Doc rushed to the Jedi’s side and scanned. “Crushed vertebrae…broken ribs…internal bleeding, head trauma, both legs shattered.” Doc shook his head. “We need a medivac in here now or we’ll lose him.”

“We’re not going to lose him. I don’t care what you have to do.”

“I’ll do what I can.” He tapped his holo. “T7…we need a medivac at the Temple, now. Whatever it takes. Doc out.”

He pulled a trio of stims from his satchel and injected Relnex. “This’ll help with the pain and shock. I’ll try to stabilize him.”

She knew by Doc’s tone, that Relnex’s odds were slim. She reached out with the Force—for clues that would lead her to the Sith.

“He was taken by surprise…but this beam…it doesn’t make sense, he could have avoided it…unless he brought it down himself…” A half buried door panel caught her eye. She leapt over the rubble and pounded on the refresher door. “Is anyone in there? It’s me, Liatrix. I’m here to help you.”

“Help us. We can’t get out.” The younglings sobbed.

“Stand back.” Liatrix drew her saber and gauged the door. A minute later, three surviving younglings crawled through the smoking oval in the panel and scampered over the debris.

“Timron, Nimso…Kala. Thank the Force.” She hugged the children close and tight. “Are you hurt?”

Timron shook his head. “Is Master Relnex going to be okay? He saved us…the Sith was chasing us.”

“I hope so, he’s hurt pretty bad. Stay with Doc, he’ll take care of you.”

“Nooo!” The younglings howled in unison. “Don’t go away again.”

“I have to find the Sith, before anyone else dies. You have to be strong…for Master Relnex and for me. Can you do that?”

The trio nodded grudgingly, tears streaming down their cheeks.

“Did you get a look at the Sith?”

Timron nodded. “He was big and blue, with horns and he didn’t say anything.”

“He was a Chagrin” Kala added.

“A Chagrian you mean.”

The little girl nodded.

“Listen to me. You’ll be fine.” She hugged the younglings and scooted them closer to Doc.

“Do exactly what he tells you.”

“Yes Master Liatrix.”

“I’ll get back as soon as I can, I promise.”

She glanced back at Doc and the younglings and tore out of the dormitory.

The Force churned and flared around her like a whirlwind. Reaching out, she sensed the Chagrian in the Archives.

With every step she took, memories of fallen friends and younglings fuelled her anger.

She somersaulted over the debris blocking her way and descended on the soldiers and Sith holding the line outside the Archive. Scarlet lightsabers blazing, she cut them down.

Her fingers tightened around the twin hilts and she gritted her teeth, as she stalked into the chamber.

“You scum. They were just children.” Liatrix hissed.

The Chagrian stood before her, his eyes and expression blank. He didn’t need to speak, the blood colouring his robes said enough.

He opened his arms as if inviting her into his embrace. Jags of purple lightning shot toward her at his whim. Trapping the feral electricity between her blades she closed the distance between them.

The Sith shuddered as his own energy lanced up his arms to the elbows. When the lightning faded, he summoned the ceiling down in clumps. Liatrix batted the chunks of rock back at him.

“Die!” He snarled.

“So you can speak with that forked tongue of yours.” She panted. He lunged at her, purple lightsaber singing to life. Side stepping him, she slashed at his ribs.

Liatrix gritted her teeth and advanced on the Sith. Her lightsabers rolled over her palms, giving the effect of twin propellers. The Chagrian shirked backwards, and sent another volley of lightning.

“I’m going to make you wish…you never crawled out of…whatever mud hole you were spawned in.”

The Sith hissed and clutched his side. “Filth!”

Liatrix hurled herself at him, blades crossed like open scissors as she descended. After a sickening fizzle, she tumbled and landed in a crouch behind him. The Sith lord stumbled backwards, pale eyes shocked wide. He choked out a rattling wheeze and crumbled into a heap.

The holo flared to life beside her. An elegantly robed Sith appeared. “Lord Goh…the package is secure…oh…running ahead of schedule are we? No matter you can have your little temple back.”

“Your attack failed.”

“Failed?” The Sith’s lip crept up at the corner before his image fizzled out.

Her gaze turned back to the Chagrian. “I wish you could feel what I’m going to do to you.”

She ignited her blades and struck at the lump of blue flesh before her until her arms ached.

Republic troopers stormed into the Archive and then took several steps back and eyed each other.

Kira and Scourge strode in past the soldiers.

“Master!” Kira cried out and ran to Liatrix’s side. “Stop! Master! You got him. You. Got. Him.”

Scourge’s brows met, and his tongue flicked over his lower lip.

Kira’s lip tremored and she swallowed back the bitter taste at the back of her throat. “Master…it’s over.” She whispered.

Liatrix glanced over at her, as if realizing just now, that she was there.

Kira pulled a soft cloth from her pocket and dabbed the splatters on Liatrix’s face. Her hands shook. “Master…please. Say something.”

“He killed the younglings and Master Kiwiiks too. I need a cargo case…” She added without drawing breath.

Kira’s brows met. She held herself to keep from faltering. “Master Kiwiiks…” She swallowed hard and dabbed at the corner of her eye.

Lord Scourge folded his arms, his gaze boring into the troopers. “You heard the Jedi. She requires a cargo case.”

Within moments, the troopers produced an empty artillery chest. She stained her fingertips with the Chagrian’s dark blood and then pawed at the inside of the lid. Kira winced and backed away.

“Give her a minute.” She glanced at Scourge and left the archive.

A trooper, who’s expression suggested he’d drawn the short straw approached the Jedi. He cleared his throat, and then turned his gaze away. “The lower levels are secure…and we’ve even captured a few prisoners.”

Liatrix stood and wiped her hands on her tunic. “There were no prisoners. The enemy was relentless. You and your men were forced to kill them all, Lieutenant.”

The trooper nodded. “Understood.”

“One more thing. I want the last incoming holo traced, and this case shipped to that location.”

“Yes sir.” The trooper gestured to the others to collect the oozing chest.

After an hour in the refresher, Liatrix dressed and padded out to the bridge. “Kira…any word on Master Relnex yet?”

“I just got off the holo with Doc a few minutes ago. It looks like he’s going to make it…but they couldn’t save his right leg.”

Liatrix nodded, her gaze solemn. “How are you holding up?”

“I know Master Kiwiiks wouldn’t want me to be sad, but I can’t help it. She got me off the streets. She saved me…but I couldn’t…save her.” Her voice faded off into a whisper.

“She knew how you felt, I’m sure of it.”

Kira bowed her head. “There is no death, there is the Force.”

Rusk edged closer and saluted them formally. “Masters, I’m sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences.”

“Thank you Sargeant…”

“Master Liatrix, you’re needed on Fleet for debriefing.”

“Thanks.” Liatrix sighed.

“Master, you should eat before you go.”

“I’m not hungry.”

Kira nodded. “Guess I’ll go meditate.”

Liatrix stared down at the shiny medal in her hands. “There’s still a lot that needs to be done.”

“Your part in this is over Master Jedi.” Darok pushed past them. “I have work to do, if you’ll excuse me.”

“I could use a drink. Looks like you could use one or twenty yourself.” Theron said.

“Why not. Go on, I’ll catch up.” She skimmed her thumbnail over the medal’s milled edge. She focused on her breathing to quell the rage that still simmered in her veins. “Doesn’t feel like a victory.” Pocketing the medal, she drifted out of the briefing room.

Ten minutes later, Liatrix approached Theron’s table. “That was Grand Master Satele on the holo, wasn’t it?”

“Currently acting as emissary to the Drayvos league. Nowhere near Tython.”

Liatrix sat across from him. She could sense his relief. He poured from the bottle he’d ordered. “We’re not close of course. Your order is pretty particular on that point.”

“She gave you up when you were a child then.”

“You Jedi have your rules. I’m not complaining, turns out I don’t have your talent anyway. Everything worked out for the best.”

“Well, if you ask me, you turned out pretty well.” She took a sip of the ale. Her lips puckered at the taste. “What is this?” She hissed an intake of breath from the bitterness.

“Kri’gee. It’s Mandalorian ale. Sorry, I didn’t know what you liked…guess I should’ve waited.”

“I’ll get used to it. After the last couple of days, I don’t blame you for ordering straight away.” She took another mouthful, and swirled the liquid in her glass.

Theron hunkered over his drink. “By the way, I’m sorry to hear about what happened to your friends. I told Darok to postpone the meeting, but he insisted.”

“You’re very kind Theron. I haven’t given you enough credit. I’m sorry.”

“You’re not so bad yourself. We got off on the wrong foot. I never got to thank you for saving my life either…so…thanks.”

Liatrix smirked. “So long as you keep your pistol holstered, I think we’ll get along just fine.”

Theron topped up their drinks, and Liatrix took another long sip. The heat of the ale slid up her throat and into her mind.

The numbness felt good.

“If I shoot you with anymore live rounds, I might get into serious trouble.”

“Serious trouble is my middle name.” She arched a brow and took another sip. Her cheeks tingled and she felt a giddy warmth spread through her, straight to her knees.

“So I’ve heard.” He chuckled.

“Really? Should I be worried about the source?”

“Nah, I have a reputation for getting in and out of trouble myself.”

Liatrix blushed. “You sound like a dangerous man to be around.”

“Only if my pistol is out.”

“That’s not all you shoot with.” She twitched her eyebrows, and glanced at his bracers.

Theron ran his hand against the stubble on his jaw. “Not sure how to respond to that. But, I am glad, that despite everything we can still share a few laughs.”

“Me too.”

“There is something I wanted to talk to you about.”

“Go ahead. Shoot.” She giggled.

Theron chuckled. “Cute. Seriously though, I hope you’ll hear me out. Even without the Force, I know when things don’t add up. These ops…Colonel Darok. Something is being buried here. I’m sure of it. What I want to know, is, are you going to take your shiny medal and go home like Darok wants? Or will you help me start digging?”

“Well, where would you start?” She soothed the center of her forehead. Her face felt hot. And Theron had a twin that would occasionally duck out beside him. She took another small sip.

“First I’d get someone I can count on…someone willing to face down the Emperor himself, if it came down to it. Then I’d find out everything I could about Darok and that Sith Lord you talked to. And then I’d contact my new friend and get to the bottom of it all. Hypothetically speaking, of course.”

“Of course.” She pushed the tumbler forward, and moved to stand, but sat back down again.

“Well, it’s been great chatting with you. We’ll have to do it again…”

Liatrix gave her head a shake and blinked.

“Hey, you okay?”

“Did I mention…I’m a cheap date?” She pushed up against the table and wobbled.

Theron slid in beside her, and held her up. “You’re not kidding…you didn’t even finish the second one.”

“Kri’gee doesn’t like me.” She whispered in his ear, as if it were classified.

“Noted.” He grinned lopsidedly. “Hold on to me, I’ll walk you back.”

Lana Beniko tipped the smuggler and examined the crate. “There’s a delivery. It’s addressed to you.”

Darth Arkous frowned. “I wasn’t expecting anything. Shield yourself and have the men open it.”

“Agreed.”

Moments later, Lana stood back, and watched as Arkous’s slaves pried the crate open. The men hoisted the case out and threw back the lid. The pair wretched and gagged.

Lana stepped forward and cringed. “Darth Arkous!”

The elegant Sith stormed back into the room. “What is it?”

“It’s…Lord Goh. His remains…and there’s a message.” She indicated the sloppy scrawl inside the lid.

You’re next Sith.

Arkous smashed his fist against the desk and growled. “That infernal Jedi.”

The blonde’s eyes widened. “A Jedi? What sort of Jedi does this?” Lana shook her head.

“The same one that butchered our forces on Korriban. A soon to be dead Jedi. Get this out my sight.”

“At once, my Lord. I’ll contact the Council.” Lana pressed the backs of her fingers against her nose.

((To be continued…))

The Foundation of All Desire (Part 25)

“Trust me, I have the hands of a surgeon…I’ll have it fused in two jiffs.” Doc pulled the goggles over his eyes and fired up the stylus sized welding torch. He squeezed into the cramped access panel and went to work.

Scourge crossed his arms and drummed his fingers over his bicep. While Doc hustled to finish his share of the work, the Sith lord scanned the ship with his trademark disdain.

Blue sparks shot out at Doc and he swore.

“Hands of a surgeon huh?” Kira teased. “Careful in there. I don’t want to be scr.aping bits of Doc off the manifold.”

“There’s no chance of electrocution.” Rusk reassured.

“Pity.” Scourge muttered under his breath.

“Aren’t you just a happy little sunbeam?” Kira eyeballed Scourge.

“See how your people skills fare after three centuries.” Scourge hissed.

“That’s not it, and you know it.” She dismissed him with a wave and turned back to Rusk to compare her scans with his readouts. “Looks like we’ve almost got it synced.”

“Agreed, let’s get the changes uploaded.” Kira and Rusk disappeared into the cockpit.

The Defender’s hatch slid open. Two sets of footfalls ascended the stairway. Liatrix leaned into Theron, both arms curled around his left arm. “You really know how to show a girl a good time.” Her eyebrows puckered together earnestly.

“As promised.” Theron grinned.

Hearing the arrivals, Doc smacked his head against the panel door. “Kark.” He roughed his hair to soothe his scalp. Shoving his goggles up, he peered over at the pair standing on the bridge. Doc’s eyebrow nearly grazed the ceiling.

Scourge glowered from behind the portable console. His clenched jaw only served to intensify the narrow slits his eyes had become. He eyed the stranger up and down, sizing him up to be SIS. Of course she’d be dr.aping herself all over an agent. She knew his opinion of them, but that didn’t stop her.

Liatrix traced Theron’s jacket lapels. Her fingertips veered from the leather to the thin shirt he wore underneath. She could feel his heat radiating through his shirt, his skin simmering under her hands. She beamed up at him, eyes alive with the wanting charm of hungry Nekarr cat.

Theron breathed in the heady scent of citrus and fresh linens like fine perfume. He pressed against her and his heartbeat quickened. “We’re going to have to do this again sometime. Soon.” He tilted his head and moved in closer.

Liatrix closed her eyes, and parted her lips in anticipation.

“Ah-hem.” Kira stood in the cockpit’s entry and smirked. “Welcome back Master. Was just about to send out a search party.”

Liatrix giggled. “Sorry, the meeting ran long.”

“I can see that. So are you going to introduce us?”

Doc and Scourge exchanged annoyed looks and crossed their arms, almost at the same time, and then scowled at each other anew, when they realized their synchrony.

Liatrix turned up her palm. “This is Agent Theron Shan…Theron, this is my crew—Kira, Doc and Lord Scourge. And there’s Rusk over there. Best crew ever!” She stepped away from the railing encircling the bridge and lost her balance. Theron snatched her up with lightning reflexes.

“Steady now.” He murmured. “I’ve got you.”

“Master…have you been drinking?”

Liatrix pinched her thumb and index finger together. “Just a wee bit.”

“I think it was more than just a wee bit.” Kira smirked.

“A wee bit of…Kri’gee!” She made a face. “Tastes terrible, but I feel…fantasic.” She purred the last.

Kira covered her mouth to hide her amusement. She’d never seen Liatrix drunk before. She’d never even actually seen her drink.

Doc stepped forward and glared at Theron. “Kri’gee? You gave her Kri’gee? Why didn’t you just let her drink unrefined rocket fuel? Anything stronger than wine…and…well look at her. She can’t handle it.” He shook his head. “What were you thinking?”

“How would I know? But, noted for next time.” Theron shrugged.

“You could’ve asked. A gentleman always asks.”

“And what would you know about being a gentleman Doc?” Kira teased.

Liatrix tossed up her hands. “I’m right here.”

Lord Scourge’s scarlet gaze fixed on Theron. He twisted his left tendril ring and his envy writhed around him like campfire shadows.

Theron scanned the crew’s reaction. Only the other Jedi was entertained. None of the men were amused. Not even the Chagrian soldier.

Then again, when have you ever seen a Chagrian look amused? Theron thought.

“Well, you’re back safe and sound now. I’ll be in touch. Good meeting you all.”

Liatrix grinned impishly “Bye Theron.” She gave him a little wave.

Theron caught himself returning it and then masked it by running his hand over his hair. “Uh, right. I’ll be in touch.”

He trotted down the stairs and out the Defender’s hatch. On the boarding ramp he blew out a long deep breath and shook his head. He shivered at the memory of her prowling fingertips and the almost kiss. Meeting her crew was like meeting a girlfriend’s family for the first time but worse. Way worse. How many families include an ex-husband, and an ex-lover? He shook his head and crossed the hangar bay as if it were on fire. He stepped onto the elevator.

“Note to self: Lay off the Kri’gee.” Then again, who am I kidding? The Kri’gee isn’t the problem,he thought.

Kira swooped in and looped arms with Liatrix. “Let’s get you settled in. It’s been a long day.” She turned back to Doc. “Do we let her sleep it off? Or do you want to give her a shot?” She mouthed.

“Sleep it off. Get her to drink some water.” He muttered. “If anyone needs me…I’ll be scr.aping energy pudding off T7.”

Kira arched a brow, but stopped short of asking why…

Darth Arkous stalked into the Dark Council chamber, robes billowing behind him. He took the floor and let his gaze land upon each of the members present for the emergency session.

Darth Mortis shifted in his seat. “What’s all this about Arkous, and why is the ante chamber filled with mercenaries?”

Ravage glared down at the floor with haughty indifference. “Is it really necessary to waste our time with this? Surely you don’t require our help in retaining thugs. Instruct them, pay your advance and be done with it. I fail to see why you’re troubling us with this.”

“Oh my dear fellows. Perhaps Arkous means to entertain us all. By all means, invite the mercenaries in, and let us pray one of them had the good sense to bring a decent brandy. I have the feeling we’ll all be in need of a drink soon.” Vowrawn sat back as if waiting for the ball to drop at a Hutt-ball match.

Darth Marr remained silent for several moments. “Proceed Darth Arkous.”

Arkous waited until the holo projector rose from the opening in the center of the chamber. The console flickered to life, and the image of the Hero of Tython appeared at its center. The image rotated slowly for all to see.

“Behold, the Butcher of Korriban.” Arkous began. “As you’ve no doubt heard by now, many of our people were slaughtered and our Academy destroyed. This is the Jedi responsible.”

“Didn’t that one strike against The Emperor as well?” Darth Nox crossed one coltish leg over the other and rolled her hand as she spoke.

“The one and same.” Arkous nodded. “This Jedi is also the one responsible for the massacre of our forces on Tython.” He turned and gestured toward the door. Two troopers rolled in an artillery case. “This is what she did to Lord Goh, a valued member of my operations team.” He threw back the lid.

Ravage snorted. “Close the damn case Arkous, you’re letting the stench out.”

“I must concur, it is rather spoiling the air in here, and it’s already quite hot as it is.” Vowrawn quipped.

“What does that say…there inside the lid?” Mortis sat forward.

“It reads, ‘You’re next, Sith.’ A message from the Butcher of Korriban, directed at me.”

“Such a dramatic title…” Vowrawn needled, and stroked his chin tendril.

“So, Arkous, care to get to the point? Korriban has been retaken by the Wrath, myself and our teams. The Jedi have their pile of rubble back. Though I do find it unusual that the attacks were so closely executed.” Nox crooned in a tone fit for the bed chamber.

Mortis nodded his assent. “Indeed. That is troubling. It begs the question, which of us harbors the traitor—us, or the Republic.”

“The fact that we were unaware, suggests, it is we, who have the traitor in our ranks.” Nox said.

Arkous slammed the lid shut and clasped his hands behind his back as he paced. “My point is, that this Jedi must be eliminated once and for all. She’s trespassed on our tolerance too long already.”

“And you think this band of mercenaries are up to the task? Why not ask the Wrath?” Mortis suggested.

“The Wrath is otherwise engaged at the moment,” Marr announced. “Enhance images.”

The holo projector zoomed in on the Jedi’s face, focusing first on the Intelligence file image, and then on the feral spattered countenance that greeted Arkous on Tython.

Nox tilted her head. “Bit savage for a Jedi. So wild looking, tsk tsk. Is that a piece of Chagrian caught in her hair?” Nox chuckled.

“Continue Arkous.” Darth Marr nodded once.

“I want to send a message to the Republic. Twenty million credits bounty. Such a sum cannot be overlooked or dismissed, and will surely result in her capture.”

“Capture? Why not just kill on sight?” Mortis said.

“Oh, I intend to kill her personally. But I mean to make the entire galaxy watch. I want every frequency of the holonet broadcasting the execution.” Arkous snarled. “Then I want her head delivered to the Supreme Chancellor. The rest, they can send to that insufferable Grandmaster of theirs.”

“Can she not be turned?” Vowrawn’s brows pursed. “I am in the market for a new apprentice.”

“She spent a year and half with the Emperor himself…and broke free of his influence. I doubt your charms would work Vowrawn.” Ravage said.

“Pity. It seems such a waste.” Vowrawn argued.

“Do I have your support?” Arkous pressed.

"I have no issue with capture, but I think with a proper indoctrination, she could be an asset. The Emperor...clearly lacked my finesse.” Vowrawn leaned back into his seat, having voiced his mind.

“I concur with Arkous. She must be dealt with.” Mortis said.

“Do as you will. She is a threat, and threats must be eliminated.” Ravage waved his hand dismissively.

"The idea of gifting her head to the Supreme Chancellor, does have a certain appeal. I would enjoy seeing that smug Twi’lek’s face when she opens the box.” Nox picked at her well-manicured nails as if bored.

“Darth Marr?” Arkous turned toward the final chair.

Marr’s inscrutable countenance was fixed in the direction of the holo images.

“Call in your mercenaries and set the bounty. The majority has spoken.” Marr decreed.

Kira dashed to Liatrix’s room. “Master…are you okay?”

Liatrix sat bolt upright and looked over at the silhouette standing in the doorway. “Kira…” She exhaled heavily. “Yeah, I’m okay.”

“I heard you cry out. You sounded terrified. Actually I’m amazed you didn’t wake the whole ship.”

Liatrix pushed back against the headboard and crossed her legs under the covers. “Just a bad dream. Want to sit with me for a while?”

Kira padded in and flopped down on the end of the bed. “Kind of like old times, when it was just the two of us.”

“All we’re missing are the snacks and holovids. I’m sorry about before. I’m so embarrassed.”

“I thought it was hilarious. Never seen you drunk before.”

“I can just imagine what Agent Shan is thinking…” Liatrix cupped her forehead.

“Oh, so it’s Agent Shan now…” Kira twitched an eyebrow and smirked. “He’s not related to Satele is he?”

“He’s her son.”

She has a son?” Kira’s eyes bulged.

“Yeah, but they’re not close at all.”

Kira nodded. “Still…who would have guessed? Who’s his dad?”

“No idea. How are you doing? We didn’t really get a chance to talk before.”

“Meditating helped a little…but something is bothering me.”

Liatrix silently urged her to continue.

“I didn’t feel it when Master Kiwiiks…died.” Kira looked down at her hands. “I should’ve felt that, right?”

“Not necessarily. Master Kiwiiks was always so…gentle, calm and kind. I think she was already so much a part of the Force that when she became one with it, it was just a matter of taking that last step. Remember how calm she was on Tatooine when we found her by the shock drum? I think much of her joined the Force then.”

Kira nodded. “Yeah, I guess that makes sense…and it makes me feel a little better.”

“You and Master Kiwiiks had a powerful connection...nothing can diminish that. You shouldn’t doubt it. Not to mention you had your hands full getting our turrets back.”

“Do you think…we’ll feel it if one of us… y’know, goes?”

“I’d like to think so. You’re like a sister to me. C’mere.” Liatrix lifted the cover.

Kira crawled under the covers and turned to face Liatrix. “You kinda scared me at the Temple…I’ve never seen you like that…”

“I didn’t mean to. I had a set-back. I guess you’ve realized by now, I have stunning anger management issues.”

“Can’t say I blame you…but I worry. I don’t want to lose you to the dark side.”

“To fight monsters, you have to think like them sometimes.”

“Well, I have a confession to make too. Jedi aren’t supposed to have attachments, but I’m not sure what I’d do without you. You’re like a sister to me too,” Kira whispered.

Liatrix smiled and squeezed Kira’s hand.

“Hey, what happened in your dream?”

“Nothing…just darkness. I don’t want to think about it. Go to sleep, I want to try and have a good dream.”

“Like, about Agent Shan?” Kira teased.

Liatrix blushed. “Maybe. There’s nothing in the code that says we can’t dream.”

“Cool. Now I just have to decide which holonet star will be in mine, maybe that hunk G’yan Rosling. Night Master.”

“Good night Kira.” Liatrix turned over and flipped her pillow. She stared at the shelving unit and hoped she wouldn’t see the departed younglings reaching out for her again with pleading eyes. Her gaze fell on the drawer where she hid the data spike from Korriban.

Tomorrow.

Arkous paced along the line of bounty hunters like a drill sergeant. He eyed the motley assortment, the who’s who of the bounty hunting circle. Two of them could have been easily mistaken for droids with their thick metallic replacement limbs. The rest of the line- up included a Trandoshan, a Mirialan, a pair of humans, the Chiss Great Hunt Champion, and a humanoid swathed in thick leathery layers that made him look like something that crawled out of the Tomb of Tulak Hord.

“You there…what are you? I don’t know your kind.”

“I am Ubesian, My Lord. I am called Zee.” The alien bowed low, his arm gently sweeping his chest. He lowered his head in deference. The voice was barely more than a gravelly metallic whisper through the breathing mask.

“Unusual to see fine manners in a mercenary.”

“The occasion demands it, we are in the presence of the mighty Sith.”

The Chiss champion watched the exchange, concealing his interest with well-practiced nonchalance.

The Ubesian’s capitulation appealed to Arkous. “At ease.”

Zee straightened and hooked his thumbs into his belt confidently.

While Arkous could sense the being wasn’t a force user, he admired the barely contained hatred and contempt at the core of his nature.

“The Sith Empire is prepared to pay the sum of twenty million credits to bring this Jedi to me alive.” He tapped his data pad and called up the holo images of Jedi Knight Liatrix.

The assembled hunters muttered amongst themselves, until one of the humans stepped forward. “We know of that one My Lord, and we opt to decline.”

“I should have you executed for your cowardice.” Arkous snarled and threw up his hands. “Be gone from my sight, before I change my mind.”

The hunters stalked out of the chamber. Only two remained—the Chiss Champion and the Ubesian.

“I don’t suffer cowards or fools gladly. Twenty million credits to the one who brings me the Jedi. Dismissed.”

Mako leaned back in her chair. “That you, Boss?”

“Course it’s me, who’d you expect?”

“Well, I’m not used to hearing you sing from Corellia’s top forty, especially after a visit with the Dark Council.”

“If you knew how much we stand to make off this bounty, I think you’d be doin’ a lil singin’ yourself.”

“Maybe we can finally have that beach vacation we talked about.”

“Baby, after this, forget the vacation. We can buy the entire nerf-fraggin’ beach and retire. How’s that grab ya?”

“Right by the—oh hold on. Incoming priority call—from Darth Marr.”

“Secure the line, Mako.”

“Always is.”

“That’s m’girl. Put it through.”

“Darth Marr...what can I do for you? This about the Jedi?”

“Yes, and I urge you to walk away now. I assure you, I will make it worth your while. Our past dealings have set a precedent for my generosity, and in this matter, I intend to exceed it.”

“You’re payin’ me to…walk away? I’m finally hunting a Jedi for you people, and you’re tellin’ me to give it up?”

“That is precisely what I am telling you.”

“What about the other hunter? You tell him the same thing?”

“No, but he must be stopped, and you must speak of this to no one.”

“Not even the Dark Council?”

“Especially not the Dark Council. The reason for the change in directive is my own, and must remain in the strictest confidence. Our past dealings have been mutually beneficial and have solidified my trust in you. I expect that to continue.”

“Good, so do I. Because there is something you need to know about the other hunter—I’ve never seen or heard of him before today. Something is definitely off there. Someone like that, doesn’t get within ten sectors of a job like this.”

“Do whatever you must to thwart this other hunter. He must not succeed. That is imperative.”

“Then we have a deal Marr.”

The image of the Sith lord nodded once and vanished from sight.

“What do you suppose that’s all about?” Mako said.

“Dunno, but if we’re going to stop this guy, we’d better find out as much as we can about him. Get me Crysta.”

“Sure thing Boss.”

The Ubesian boarded his ship, and programmed the auto pilot. After imputing the coordinates into the nava computer, he stalked into his quarters and detached his mask. Next he tugged away the rebreather and disconnected the voice synthesizer. He coughed to soothe the abrasions and mucous the distortion tube left behind.

He hunkered over his dresser and stared into the mirror.

“Twenty million credits…I would have gladly killed you for free Master Liatrix,” the former SIS Senior Agent muttered.

((To be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

It's weird how time flies if you spend almost the whole week drawing creepypasta.

It's great that you continued so soon. I'm so happy. :)

And i fangirled so hard when Scourge was being jealous. ♥ (Me being an ultimate Scourge fangirl.)

And dem Dark Council scenes. Good job.

And a drunk Liatrix? Perfect. Just Perfect. :D

Good good good stuff. I love a good Dark Council scene. And it's fun to begin to see the glimpses of other canon classes. :)

Thank you thank you *beams* So glad you enjoyed it. The Dark Council was fun for me too. ^^

I love how Doc and Scourge seem to be the stooges now, lol. It'd be interesting to see if they develop a friendship down the road. Great story, loving it so far. :)

He hee, I wanted to have a funny moment with them. Glad it came across. You never know, stranger things have happened. I'm glad you're enjoying it, thanks for telling me. :)

It's weird how time flies if you spend almost the whole week drawing creepypasta.

It's great that you continued so soon. I'm so happy. :)

And i fangirled so hard when Scourge was being jealous. ♥ (Me being an ultimate Scourge fangirl.)

And dem Dark Council scenes. Good job.

And a drunk Liatrix? Perfect. Just Perfect. :D

He hee. Creepypasta eh? Must be entertaining. :D I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Scourge is awesome. <3 I had a good time writing this. I thought, after last week would could lighten up a little bit. ;D

((Bit early this week, owing to the holidays...Enjoy, and Happy Easter! :) ))

The Foundation of All Desire (Part 26)

Darth Marr could not sleep. No meditation settled him. No music soothed. The pressurized heat of the refresher relaxed the powerful toned body, but not the mind. He stared out at the city below. The very night seemed to greet him as an old friend, and he savoured the damp breeze wafting in through the open window.

The fog pushed in from the lush, wet jungles. The thick milky brume coiled and curled through Kaas City streets with an almost sentient efficiency. The night seemed to be holding its breath as if it were awaiting a verdict.

His gaze was drawn upwards. Poets often referred to the night sky as the Emperor’s cloak. Few stars dared shed their light through it tonight, but those that did, inspired him. Light was what he needed—certain confirmation of a truth he suspected and could not ignore.

Darth Marr eschewed his usual battle armour in favour of a tailored black cassock. A single line of buttons adorned the robe, twenty to be precise, from the upright collar to the hem that grazed the floor. He fastened only half of them, and knotted the wide matching sash about his waist. He tugged it askew until the ends skimmed his boot.

The one detail he would not forego was his face. His lip edged up at the corner. The mask had been a part of him for so long, he considered it his true face. Each line and groove whispered of his survival against grief and longing, fury and passion. For any but him, a mask is a lie forged for the face, but for him it was a billboard, speaking his deepest truth.

After clipping his lightsaber into his wrist holster, he tugged his sleeve over it. He collected a small metallic case and pulled up his hood. With nary a spoken word to his guardsmen, he stepped out into the night and fog in search of illumination.

“Oh, Master, you’re awake. Good.” Kira chirped. “Any pleasant dreams?”

“I wish. What about you?” Liatrix rubbed circles into the center of her forehead.

Kira grinned. “One…but when it’s good, one is all you need.”

“At least one of us got our wish. Urgh. I need caf. Dark hot caf. A tub full, so I can swim in it.”

“On it, Boss. When you’re ready, there’s a holo call for you in the ready room.”

“Who is it?”

“Derrin Weller. He’s on Coruscant.”

“Okay, I’ll be right there.” Liatrix eyed the drawer with the Korriban spike. Damnit. You’ll have to wait.

She trudged out to the ready room, yawned and initiated the holo message.

“Derrin, what can I do for you?”

“Master Liatrix, my apologies for contacting you so early, but I hoped to reach you while you were still in the sector.”

“Sounds serious.”

“It is. It’s Master Relnex. I’m deeply concerned.”

“He hasn’t taken a turn for the worse has he?” Liatrix’s eyes widened.

“Physically, he’s doing about as well as can be expected under the circumstances, but mentally, spiritually…he’s suffering.”

Liatrix nodded. “I know he cared deeply for the younglings…and paired with the surgeries, his strain must be nearly unbearable. Is he still at the hospital?”

Derrin nodded. “We felt it best he stay there. He needs time and the Temple is still in shambles and—

“Say no more Derrin. He won’t be ready for Tython, any more than its ready for him. I’ll head over to the hospital now. Maybe seeing another familiar face will help.”

“That’s what I hoped you’d say. Derrin out.”

Kira set a large cup of dark caf into Liatrix’s hands. “To Coruscant? I couldn’t help over hearing.”

“Please.” Liatrix blew at the wisps of steam rising off the cup and sipped cautiously, grateful for its mind clarifying bitterness.

What he needs, is something to take his mind off things, she thought. An idea struck her, and she headed back to her room.

“Well hunter, ain’t you a sight for sore eyes! Nice to see you haven’t forgotten your friends, now that you’re big time.”

“You know I could never forget you Crysta.”

“Ahh,” She waved him off. “You always bin a charmer. Say, you still runnin’ with that scrawny bit of a thing?”

“Oh, you mean Mako. Yeah, you could say that. I, uh, married ‘er.”

“I swear all the good ones are gettin’ snapped up! Well, good on you sugar. Congrats. Tell ‘er she’s damn lucky. I haven’t seen a finer catch, well, since…I can’t remember when.” Crysta laughed.

“You’re makin’ me blush.”

“Well shucks, gotta turn ya purple somehow.” She favoured him with a naughty wink. “Now what can I do you for hun?”

“I need some info. You know anything about a Ubesian hunter named Zee?”

“Hmm,” Crysta tapped her index finger against the swell of her chin. “Can’t say that I do. Name don’t ring a bell. Why?”

“Let’s just say it’s a big score. The kind you could retire on. And you know me, I don’t mind spreadin’ it around.”

“You’re a class act sugar. I wouldn’t mind givin’ up this racket m’self.”

“You? Give up? Everything a’right over there?”

“Yeah, more or less. Nuthin’ to be worryin’ your handsome self over. Things just feel a bit sticky. Might be time to move on, y’know?”

“I hear ya. You ever need me, you call. Got it?”

“Damn, that girl o’ yours is lucky.” She looked at him meaningfully and smiled. “I got a couple o’ contacts I can try. I wish I had somethin’ more for ya sugar. Pains me that I’ve got squat.”

“Well, it’s much appreciated, whatever you can do. And I wasn’t kiddin’ if you need us to come round.”

“I’ll be in touch either way. You take care hun.”

“You too Crysta.”

He watched her vanish and sighed. Mako crept up behind him, and wrapped her arms about his waist and pressed her cheek to his back. “Anything?”

“Nah. We might have to get creative.”

Hospital admissions directed Liatrix to Coruscant General’s private wing. Unlike the rest of the building, the corridors in the private wing were made of glass, framing serene gardens made of stone, sand and evergreens. Despite their tranquility, they were a poor substitute for Tython.

The décor inside was comfortably spare and similar in finish to the Jedi temple. She suspected the private wing was dedicated solely to the rehabilitation of Jedi. The rooms she peeked into contained state of the art equipment and droids—nothing but the finest, a fact she was grateful for. Master Relnex deserved the best care.

She paused outside his room, and tapped gingerly against the woodgrain door. When no response came, she edged the door ajar and peered inside. Relnex sat in a reclining hoverchair, positioned next to the window facing the courtyard gardens.

He was dressed simply in a plain cream shirt with wooden toggles and beige trousers. The left pant leg was rolled up to where the knee should be. His new cybernetic leg was made of brushed durasteel, with all of the tricky components caged inside the metal housing.

He remained still and silent, and gave no indication that he sensed her presence. She frowned and tucked the parcel she’d brought under her arm and approached him.

“Relnex…” She murmured.

“I told them I didn’t want to see anyone.”

“Do you think that would have stopped me?”

He snorted. “No, I suppose not.”

“I guess I don’t have to ask how you’re feeling.”

“I should’ve died with them Liatrix. Why didn’t you just let me die?”

She pulled up a small stool and sat at his feet. “I couldn’t do that…we’re friends.”

“Jedi aren’t supposed to have attachments.”

“So I keep hearing. Jedi aren’t supposed to be angry either…but look at us. We’ve got good reason to be angry.”

He looked down at her, the green eyes listless and lacking the gentle spark she’d come to count on.

“But there are reasons to be grateful too. Timron, Nimso and Kala are alive, and they miss you. You’ve taught them so much. You can still continue, doing what you’ve always loved.” Liatrix added.

“How?” He glared at her, his eyes flashing. “I can barely stand…or move. I couldn’t protect them when I was whole…how am I supposed to now?”

“It’ll take time. You need physio, training, and meditation. But it’s not impossible. You’re a Jedi, the Force will help you compensate.”

“I’m not a Jedi anymore. How can I be? I’m useless.”

Liatrix’s mouth tightened and her nostrils flared. “Well, then you’re not the man I thought you were. You disappoint me. If all of your value comes down to a leg…what good were you really? A Jedi is more than a body part. Did you teach with your leg? Was all your wisdom and patience stored up in it? Did your leg have anything to do with inspiring those younglings?” She stood and crossed her arms, the wooden stool skittering away from her haste.

You inspired them, not me.” Relnex hissed.

“Teaching younglings is more than just showing them a few cool duelling moves. Sure, I helped with working off their energy, but when it came to the important stuff, you were the one they went running to. You were the one they wanted to impress. You were their whole world.”

“Not anymore. I couldn’t stop the Sith.”

“But you did stop him. Those younglings are alive, because of your sacrifice. I know you brought that beam down on yourself to save them.”

Relnex looked down at his hands. “I should’ve been able to save them all.”

“Do you regret it? Because that’s the same as regretting they’re still alive.”

“No of course not! I’d do it again.”

“I know you would, but you can’t save everybody. I understand your anger. If they had all survived, you’d think it was worth it, but you feel like your sacrifice was wasted. That’s the trouble here. Your leg was worth more to you than three lives.”

“That’s not true! I would have given my life.”

“You did give your life. Doc gave it back to you.”

“No…you gave it back to me.” He whispered.

“So what you’re saying then, is that I made a bad call.”

“No.” He slapped his hands against the hover chair’s armrests.

“If you’re going to sit here and wallow in self-pity, I’m leaving.” She shook her head and turned on her heel to leave.

“Wait. Don’t go. Please.” He turned the hover chair and followed her.

“Why should I stay?” Liatrix arched a brow.

“What would you have me do?”

“I’m not the one to tell you what to do. Deep down you know what that is yourself. You have to let go of your grief and self-pity and loathing. That won’t be easy, but it’s a start.”

“Please…sit awhile. I’ve missed our talks.”

“All right.” She returned to his side and sat. Her gaze slid down to the cybernetic leg. “You know…it’s really pretty impressive looking. I bet the younglings will be all over you, to look at it.”

Relnex smiled slightly for the first time during their visit.

“It is a marvel…truly. I only wish I had an easier time working it. So far, all I’ve managed to do is fall on my face.”

“You’ll learn. One day you’ll be so good at it, you won’t even think about it anymore.”

“I hope you’re right.”

“Does it hurt?”

“Sometimes…when I wake up at night, I’d swear my real leg is still there. It aches, but goes away after a while.”

“I hear that’s a normal thing. May I?” She leaned forward to examine it.

“Sure.”

“I haven’t seen one this close before. Doc says that they’re coming out with coverings for them soon. I’ll bet in the future, they’ll look so real no one will be able to tell the difference.” She traced the metal cage and the inner workings clicked to life in response and she gasped at the sudden movement.

“It’s like you felt that.”

“I did, in a way. The sensors are grafted into my nervous system.”

“What’s that like?”

“It just registers as pressure…no pleasure or pain…”

“Speaking of pleasure…” Liatrix smirked. “I brought something to entertain you. Rather I hoped it would.” She summoned the parcel with an upturned palm. “Open it.”

Relnex shucked the brown paper and ribbon away. “The Art of Avamarivash, Warrior Poet of Kaleth. Not every day you see an actual book anymore…thank you.”

“Glad you like it.” She giggled.

Relnex opened the book and blinked. His cheeks flushed and after a moment he turned the book on an angle and tilted his head, his eyebrows quivering.

“He apparently had quite a way with the ladies.” Liatrix chuckled.

“So I see.” Relnex gulped.

“They say if you look at the pictures long enough, something in the ink and the way they’re drawn, they’ll actually seem to move…like an optical illusion.”

“Indeed.” Relnex’s face deepened from pink to florid. “I’m sure it will be very entertaining when I’m alone.”

Liatrix leaned in and whispered against his earlobe. “I’d perform page three hundred and forty-seven…right here…right now. I’d just have to snap the lock on the door.”

Relnex flipped the pages and gasped when he landed on the image. “Oh my. It just got a bit warmer in here didn’t it?” His eyes widened, and he ran his hand over his jaw, his beard rough against his fingers.

She snickered and folded her arms.

“Oh Liatrix,” he chuckled low. “The thought that I could be so desired by someone like you, buoys me in ways I can’t even understand or describe…but I couldn’t…It’s not the Jedi—”

“—Way. See? You’re still a Jedi after all. My work here is done.” Liatrix brushed her palms together in a gesture of completion and laughed.

“Thank you for reminding me…and for the insight and humor.”

“I’ll be checking up on you. Next time, we’re going to tour those gardens. I’d like you to show me around.”

“I promise.” He squeezed her hand. “I’m glad you came, even if it didn’t seem that way at first. Your presence, was just what I needed.”

“You’re welcome. Remember, I’ll be watching, so get to work.” She wagged her finger and started for the door.

Outside she tilted her head to the door and eavesdropped. She heard him chuckle to himself and smiled.

Kira met Liatrix at the top of the stairs when she returned. “So? How’d it go?”

“Good I think. But we’ll have to keep watch, make sure his spirits stay up.”

“That’s a good idea Master. Looks like we have a holo call.”

“I’ll take care of it, then I’m going to meditate. I need to be alone for a while.”

“Sure thing. Rusk and I need to run another set of diagnostics anyway. Gotta make sure that thruster is still okay.”

“What about the others?”

“Last I checked, Doc was looking a little too closely at one of his ‘anatomy books’, and Lord Scourge was doing something on his database. T-7 was helping.”

“Okay.” Liatrix nodded and stood before the holo console. “Liatrix here, go ahead Derrin.”

“I just wanted to convey my thanks. Don’t know what you said, but it’s sure made a difference.”

“Glad to have helped, he’s a good friend. I’ll be checking back in a few days. He’s struggling. You’ll have to keep him busy with training. I think he’ll be all right, he just needs his confidence back.”

“I think you might be right. Again, you have my thanks. Derrin out.”

Liatrix nodded and smiled as he faded from sight. She tapped her fingertips against the console and sighed.

Now…time to dig, she thought.

Inside her room, she locked the sliding door behind her and dove for the drawer containing the spike.

“Here goes nothing…” She muttered and jabbed the spike into her console. “Use voice command, display in basic and vocalize.”

~Request accepted.~

“Search name…Liaseph. Display all instances.”

~Scan initiated.~

Liatrix drew a deep breath. She balled her hands into fists and then splayed her fingers as she waited through the search. The image of a pale pretty brunette appeared.

“Stars…” She hissed under her breath and leaned closer to the display. She patted her own cheek, nose and lips, as she compared herself to the image before her. “I look like her…only her eyes were brown.”

“Copy image to personal database. Display all information.”

~Working… Request complete.~

She poured over the details and committed them to memory. Her mother’s date of birth and death, the fact that she was genetically altered to produce adaptive pheromones and that she was a non-force user and mother of one biological female child, who died at age four.

“How did they die?”

~The subject and child were casualties of failed SIS mission Operation Cornerstone. Mission goal, assassination. Agent in charge: SIS Agent Aruna Var.~

“Show me Aruna Var.”

The face and profile of a female blue Twi’lek appeared.

Liatrix’s eyes widened. “Nanny Una…” She shivered and clasped her elbows.

~SIS Agent Aruna Var was captured, interrogated and executed by Imperial Intelligence one month after the failed operation. Genetic testing confirms the target as a paternal match to the deceased child.~

“Who was the target in Operation Cornerstone?”

~Classified.~

Liatrix scowled. “Okay, let’s try another way.”

“Cross reference my genetic markers with those saved in the Sith medical data base.”

A progress bar appeared at the bottom of the screen. Liatrix rubbed at her hands, to work the nervous cold and stiffness out of them. A trembling rose up from the pit of her stomach and fanned higher until it shook her shoulders.

~Cross reference complete.~

“Show me the match…”

She watched as sets of genetic helixes super imposed to indicate the matching markers.

“Show image.”

A powerful hooded and masked Sith lord appeared before her. “The man in my dreams.”

“Identify.”

~Darth Marr, Dark Council, Sphere of Defense of the Empire.~

“Image without mask.”

~Unavailable.~

Liatrix sat back on her hunches and shivered.

“Save data to my personal database. Download all information pertaining to Darth Marr. Encryption code, Besh, Leth, Osk, Osk, Dora.”

~Save complete~

She steepled her hands against her lips and swallowed.

The Republic murdered my mother to get to my father…and lied about me. I'm Sith. She squeezed her eyes shut.

With barely an upwards glance, Darth Marr found himself in the Kaas City Cemetery on the West side. The burial grounds were an informal boundary between the city of old, its new expansion and the jungle beyond the walls. The air was redolent of ozone and wet soil. The storms would return with the morning.

Over two decades had passed since he last visited the cemetery, but the processional path, was forever inked into his memory. He had watched the burial from afar, as if distance might somehow quell the ache he felt.

The day of the burial, the sun made a rare appearance, a fact that he had resented. Thick shafts of sunlight cut through the clouds, creating ethereal ramps to the heavens. The skies mourned every day with their rain tears, but they did not mourn with him.

The beams only served to illuminate his loss and it cut him like shards of swallowed glass.

The pain awakened a vicious streak, one that could only be subdued with more death. If he had to grieve, he would not do so alone.

For years the madness drove him, fueling his victories and triumphs. He was a conquering hero, feasting on triumph and adulation, but it was a meal that left him unsatisfied.

He looked upon the faces of the grief stricken, lining the parade routes and realized that he didn’t want his people to suffer as he had. Instead, he wanted to shield them from it. At that moment he cast aside the conqueror and became the defender. It was then he realized that the sky hadn’t dishonoured his loss, but instead, had paid him a rare tribute.

A distant cawing from the jungle brought him out of his reverie. The graves were framed by a granitite half wall, most of it smothered by knotty tangles of vine. A few moldering bouquets littered the surface of the burial plot. Using the force, he flicked them aside with a gentle backhanded swoosh.

Night would lift in a matter of hours. He set to work. Unsnapping the case, Darth Marr initiated a seeker droid, and programmed the directive. The cymbal shaped droid hovered over the grave, its spindly appendages rooting through the surface until it clamped on its target. The droid clattered and rotated as its metallic claw produced a blackened bone fragment, encased in a shielded phial.

Marr snatched the sample from the droid and set about testing it against his blood. The data pad flickered as it compared genetic markers and issued the result.

He ran the test twice more to be certain. He strangled the phial until it splintered against his glove. He felt a swell of anger build under his collar. It rose until it became a heated cushion between his flesh and his mask.

For over two decades he had believed a lie.

He packed his equipment and straightened. Turning his back on the graves, he felt lines of wet heat under his mask, and the dark side roiled around him.

The fire had not misled him. There was a child interred there, but it was not his child.

She was alive, but a Jedi.

A Jedi. He exhaled a deep breath and closed his eyes, his saber hand splaying open and then closing into a fist.

((to be continued...))

Author's Note:

Many thanks to Kitar for suggesting the works of Avamarivash, Warrior Poet of Kaleth, from the Heroic Chamber of Speech, for Relnex's gift. Ty! ^^

Nice addition, though I can't see them keeping it secret for long that they executed all of the prisoners, there would have been some Republic Troops who wouldn't just keep their mouths shut about that sort of thing. I have to admit I was a bit surprised by how easily you had Kira and company (Scourge aside) not apparently blink an eye at that.