Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So I'm unsubbing now, will I miss the sub rewards?

Jduensing

Hey, i kinda ran out of stuff to do awhile ago, and my initial plan had been to wait it out for info on 3.0 before i cancelled my sub (it renews on the third of october) and now that staying subbed for the announcement would require forking over 15 bucks just to stay subbed for the info. so my question is, do you think i will be able to resub and still get the rewards if they are worthwhile, or will i have to stay subbed until the announcement to get them?

They'll probably be pre-order rewards for a paid expansion.

As long as you pre-order by whatever date, you'll get them.

If, on the other hand, they turn out to be subscriber rewards, the announcement will include a future cutoff date for being a subscriber.

Either way, you'll almost certainly safe to let your subscription run out.

Yes most likely will but would be the case whenever you unrubbed, there's always another reward just round the corner. You got the ones when you were a sub so see little room for any complaints. At the end of the day whatever the reward is its probably not worth 15 bucks, so keep the sub if you still enjoy the game itself but just for the reward Edited by DreadtechSavant

You'll be able to get it.

Half the reason for giving these sub rewards is to tempt preferred and F2P players into subbing. :p

Good, much better incentive than some of the worst in-your-face F2P 'punishements' in the game. It's one of the worst aspect of their model, making F2P feel like they're punished instead of attracting them to sub. ROTHC free with sub was a good one, as are early-accesses. Game needs more of this kind of appraoch though

If it is a paid expansion, then just wait until they do like they did with Makeb after everyone already paid for it lol....just chill and wait until it is given for free to all hehe.

Edit: Almost forgot...you can wait a bit longer even and then they can add bolster to it negating any rewards the planet offers el oh el.

Most likely, you'll get; pre-order before this date and get X, and not related to pre-orders at all, you'll get; subscribe by this date and get early access and Y.

Two different promotions with two seperate rewards. You can qualify seperately for each, or for both.

Good, much better incentive than some of the worst in-your-face F2P 'punishements' in the game. It's one of the worst aspect of their model, making F2P feel like they're punished instead of attracting them to sub. ROTHC free with sub was a good one, as are early-accesses. Game needs more of this kind of appraoch though

I like how you consider the limitations on F2P to be "punishments." Because, yeah, people should have access to everything at no cost. :rolleyes:

Freeloaders know that they will have a better experience and get rewards from time to time if they sub. They just don't want to fork over the cash for whatever reason. Working as intended.

:eek: what punishement?

it's another plan to make you Sub, nothing more, like everything locked in the game^^ they never ever said it was F2p

it's like DL WoW f2p, it's just the 20 st lvl to test the game and....sub^^

I like how you consider the limitations on F2P to be "punishments." Because, yeah, people should have access to everything at no cost. :rolleyes:.

Are you kidding me ?. We aren't speaking of "getting access to everything" here, we speak of "getting the bare minimum". It's not "comfort" things like speeder, XP bonus ou credit cap the problem. It's all the thing that prevent you to play normally. The fact that F2P cannot have access to all the quick-access shortcut bar to play properly was already kind of ridiculous, but the award goes to the epic gear restriction. F2P player cannot use the purple loot they looted (barely sweating but still). How the hell is it fair or is it not a punishment ? You cannot equip the best item in game because you didn't pay ? It quite frankly borderline pay to win, only saved thanks to the easy excuse "yes but you can buy the unlock with in-game credit". Honelty, restriction like this (HUD or Gear restriction) shouldn't even be there in the first place.

Yes, SWTOR F2P model is incredibly restrictive compared to other game F2P model. It need to be more focused on incentive rewards for the subbers and less punishement for the F2P player. Comfort restriction like limited rez or limited speeder acces are more fine, tho.

So I'm unsubbing now, will I miss the sub rewards?

I hope so. I'm staying subbed, so hopefully if there are rewards they should be directed towards the loyalists.

In all likelihood, they will probably give people some time to resub ("or you'll miss out on these fantastical rewards").

Seriously, should the people who have been continually subbed since day 1 get something you don't?

- Arcada

I hope so. I'm staying subbed, so hopefully if there are rewards they should be directed towards the loyalists.

In all likelihood, they will probably give people some time to resub ("or you'll miss out on these fantastical rewards").

Seriously, should the people who have been continually subbed since day 1 get something you don't?

- Arcada

From a business perspective? Absolutely not. $15 per month doesn't even compare to what some players are dropping in a day in CM junk. Not to mention you clearly aren't going anywhere if you've been subbed with no breaks for 3 years while they have been extremely slow in releasing content. Are you planning to unsub in the forseeable future? If not, then you know why they aren't rewarding people who have been here forever. The same way a long term cable customer gets no advantages until they call up to cancel and all the sudden your bill can be cut in half!

From a business perspective? Absolutely not. $15 per month doesn't even compare to what some players are dropping in a day in CM junk.

I guarantee you that the business (i.e. EA) is keeping an eye on the predictable, long-term revenue that the subscribers add to the game. That is not irrelevant to them. For every person who is dropping money on the CM, there are players who aren't dropping anything on the CM. Sans the subscribers, all it takes is a few bad months on the CM and the game is toast. But herein lies the rub:

Not to mention you clearly aren't going anywhere if you've been subbed with no breaks for 3 years while they have been extremely slow in releasing content.

There is definitely truth to this. And you'll note from my earlier post I was iterating what I wanted, not what I expected. The reality is that people who stuck with the game for that first year are probably not going anywhere anytime *soon*.

Are you planning to unsub in the forseeable future? If not, then you know why they aren't rewarding people who have been here forever. The same way a long term cable customer gets no advantages until they call up to cancel and all the sudden your bill can be cut in half!

Well, I've had better experiences with BW customer service than my cable company ;). They are aware, again, that subscribers need to have a few advantages thrown their way (hence the availability of the various expansions in advance, etc.). It seems apparent they aren't really that concerned about length of subscription (and that make sense for the reasons you outlined), just to always have some sort of hook so that the current subscribers delay unsubscribing just a little longer...

I'll leave eventually. Perhaps when Star Citizen comes out. Other than that, I'm not really impressed with the other MMO offerings.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

They have always given advance notice of the day(s) you need to be subbed on, or whatever else you have to do, to get the rewards. Just keep watching so you don't inadvertently miss it. The window between announcement and the first bonus sub date might be brief. Edited by DarthTHC

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.