The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Utility Decoration: Vending Machine

Nichos_Ketra

After picking up one of the vending machine rest and recharge items for myself and trying it out, I'm really finding myself liking it and wanting to be able to display it in my strongholds. After thinking about it a little, I came up with this.

Vending machines using the same models and animations (to an extent explained later) as the vending machine rest and recharge item can be acquired as decorations for display and use in player or guild strongholds.

Acquiring the vending machine decoration can be accomplished in two ways. Either by purchasing or crafting (if possible) the decoration directly, or receiving a complementary copy via the first use of a vending machine R&R item on either a character or a faction/server/account. This means that owners of the R&R item would not be shafted in having to acquire the thing all over again just to get the ability to place it in their strongholds.

On being placed and interacted with, a decoration vending machine will display a menu for purchasable consumable items. These will be a selection of food and drink that one would normally associate with vending machines, such as pop and energy drinks, snacks, and candies, which can give heals and buffs similar to existing consumables. Ideally, these would either scale to a character's level for their effect, or have scaling versions available.

The menu would be a list of icons, similar to a character's inventory but functioning like a shop. Icons would be arranged in a 4x4 grid, with options to purchase. There could potentially be an option to place an order of multiple of one or more item types in the selection before "checkout" and vending begins. On checkout, the vending machine would play the vending animation from the R&R item, with the item(s) being deposited into the player's inventory instead of immediately being consumed.

If the user of a vending machine happens to be someone with rights to object placement/manipulation in the stronghold it was placed in, they will also receive some extra options for managing the vending machine's stock. They will see options to restock current items and stock empty slots in the machine. Further options are available for filling empty stock, being to either restock with default stock, or fill manually with appropriate consumable items from the player's inventory. Due to this, there would be an option for "vending system admins" to lock or unlock vending machines slots for "default orders", allowing for things such as a half-and-half stock of normal vending machine items and other consumables.

Restocking default vending machine items will charge a fair cost in credits based on the number and type of items being restocked, while restocking from character inventory will not cost anything aside from any previous purchase or crafting costs to acquire or make the items.

Ideally, items loaded into the machine would visually display in the corresponding slots in the vending machine decoration, emptying as they are ordered.

EDIT: Moving the thread to the Strongholds section, although I could see the decoration being available in the Cartel Market. Would be willing to purchase it there if it had a fair price.

Edited by Nichos_Ketra