"Cheap" Companion Bound Armor Mod Sets

MaximusRex

I would love to see at each Planetary Gear Vendor and on the Other Comms Vendors crates will full sets of Armor Mods (Armor, Mod, Enhancement) ear, implants, and weapons/offhand mods that are enough to fill all the slots on a companion, and would be sold as a significant discount because they are bound to the companion. This would make it a lot easier for to keep companions up to date with decent gear as a player levels (The 100 Planetary Comm Cap is barely enough to gear out your character, forget your companion, and at end game where better gear is slow to come by if a player isn't a serious raider.

no its not needed to have a comp in the best gear for there level and haveing it cost less than the same mods for a player makes no sense. if you alternate gearing your self and your comp you should be fine and you really dont need a follower in raid gear. Edited by Jrr_hypernova

I like the concept as a QoL...

I would like to have a "buy" button that says: Equip Companion. When pressed it automatically upgrades all their armor/blade/barrel; mods and enhancements with a cost of 95 planetary mods, which is what it cost today.

I do not think this would make sense for higher grade armors.

If you trying to upgrade a companion in a different alt, i recommend you equip the companion in full gegacy gear, ship the gar to the player that will pay the upgrade, equip the suitable companion with it, upgrade the gear, remove the legacy gear, ship it to the alt whoce companion is intended to have it and equip companion.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

My only grip with the companion system is that you are forced to use some of them on certain classes and that is so annoying, especially when you never want to use them at all, so they don't even have the gear, so you gotta spend alot of credits to gear them up for a single mission......really poor design in my opinion.

It would be better if the companion gear automatically leveled with the player, so the better gear the player gets, the better the companion's gear gets.....that would be vastly more better then the crap we have now.

I am sure someone will come up with a 'hell no, that is a bad idea because i will lose profit from it' statements.

I never had any issues gearing my companion... just use gear from crafting on your first 55 (preferably a Cybertech/Armormech/Synthweaver depending on what your next toon will be) to upgrade your next toon's gear then repeat the cycle, and make all your 55's that arent a specific crafting skill, or your raiding 55's Biochem for easy crafting stims and adrenals (dont use the Reusable ones, they give a slightly lower boost in exchange for reusability) use Planetary comms for gearing your companion. Edited by Kaos_KidSWTOR

Someone else already mentioned the correct total, but 100 comms IS enough for a full upgrade of your character.

You need 9 things that cost 7 comms each. (Mainhand barrel/hilt + offhand armoring/barrel/hilt + armorings for head, chest, legs, hands, feet, wrist, and waist.) That's 63 comms. You need 9 mods and 7 enhancements, all at 2 comms each. (Wrist and waist don't take enhancements.) That's 16 items for 32 comms. Then 63 + 32 = 95 comms total.

Getting up to 100 comms again consistently in time for a full upgrade every 4-8 levels though? That could use some help from flashpoints (5 comms daily for using group finder for KDY and 10 comms daily for using group finder for a regular leveling flashpoint, and there's also a flashpoint daily you can get from a terminal on fleet for another 10 comms on top of that) or from farming lower level heroics for the comms rewards. The comms from random drops and from class story / planet story / sidequest mission rewards won't add up that quick on their own. (Of course if you're playing that much of the content you're probably 10 levels over your class story anyway and out of date gear isn't going to keep you from pushing ahead through your story.)

And this is of course just below level 50 with the normal planet comm vendors for blue quality modifications. Once you reach 50 you're looking at purple quality stuff from the Makeb vendor for (if I remember correctly) 10 comms per armoring/barrel/hilt and 4 comms per mod/enhancement. (154 total for full upgrade.)

With all that said though... I would assume that a set built for a specific companion would come with green quality modifications in it, so the pricing would reflect that difference. Let's suppose a value of... 5 comms for green armoring/barrel/hilt and 1 comm for green mod/enhancement? (Green modifications that are purchased from vendors in the game actually cost credits, not planet comms. They're found on vendors actually on each planet, not on fleet. And I think they only have armorings, hilts, and barrels.) Gear pieces currently at the planet equipment vendors sell for (I think) 14 comms and contain 11 comms worth of blue quality modifications. So I think a single piece of gear (and each mainhand / offhand as well) meant for a companion might end up priced at 10 comms (maybe 8 comms for wrist/waist) for 7 (or 6) comms worth of green quality modifications. So our total for a green modded companion set package would be 90, or maybe 86, planet comms.

Of course earpieces and implants have not been covered at all in any of the pricing here. If you wanted to buy those with comms (which planets' vendors have them available?) that would increase your costs. But you can craft them or you can get those as drops or as mission rewards from time to time. (Cybertech crafts earpiece, Biochem crafts implants.) And let's not forget that crafting is always an option for armorings (Cybertech), mods (Cybertech), enhancements (Artifice), hilts (Artifice), and barrels (Armstech). You can cut your costs down by using those to make some of your own upgrades. Or, as someone else mentioned, you skip the modifications for most of your gear and just craft non-customizable gear pieces with Armormech or Synthweaving. That will cut down on your cost for modifications too.