Tier Galactic Conquest by Guild Size

EPCOT

I searched the forum and couldn't find any discussions about balancing Conquests based on Guild Size much the same way that PvP is tiered based on levels.

As far as I understand it, the Galactic Conflicts will be unavoidably monopolized by the Mega Guilds just by shear volume of players. In my view it is not desirable to have smaller social Guilds disappear to become part of a 300 account Mega Guild. That would cause a very large segment of the population to lose interest in the game. But if they don't join the Mega Guilds, then participating in Conquests is meaningless.

The way the objectives are defined in Conquests, it would seem that the whole point is to get people to play all of the content in the game, not just the new stuff. You suddenly have a reason to go back and run False Emporer, and Kaon Under Siege again. You might decide to take up crafting to achieve more objectives. This is actually quite brilliant of Bioware to engineer it this way. So it would seem that they would want as much of the player population as possible to WANT to compete and do the objectives. That's great.

Putting the 50 Million credit price for the Guild Ship aside, let's assume a Guild has earned that amount over time and bought their ship. It won't take long to realize that their <50 account Guild has absolutely NO SHOT at ever being on the leaderboard. A mega guild just has too much of an edge, even with casual players. This will cause Guilds to just abandon even trying to compete. So here is a solution. Use the same approach as they did in ground PvP. Break the competition into categories for SMALL (<60 Accounts), MEDIUM (60-125 Accounts), LARGE (126-225 Accounts) and MEGA (225+ Accounts). Each category would have its own Leaderboards, and the competition would at least be much better balanced.

The number of Guild Accounts would be determined a few hours before the start of the Conquest period. Any accounts added during the conquest period would not be able to contribute until the beginning of the next Conquest. That would prevent a Guild from booting 50 members and reinviting them right after the Conquest starts. (Thus enabling them to compete unfairly in a lower tier with more members.

Some kind of system like this would go a long way to keeping player interest in Guilds of all sizes. Our Guild is a Social Guild with 33 accounts. I was truly amazed when I ran an OPS with another Guild yesterday that had 300 accounts and 800 toons total. :eek: There is no way any Guild with even half that number could compete, much less one with 33 accounts.

Come on Bioware! Show some love to the Guilds that don't have 300 accounts. :)

I searched the forum and couldn't find any discussions about balancing Conquests based on Guild Size much the same way that PvP is tiered based on levels.

As far as I understand it, the Galactic Conflicts will be unavoidably monopolized by the Mega Guilds just by shear volume of players. In my view it is not desirable to have smaller social Guilds disappear to become part of a 300 account Mega Guild. That would cause a very large segment of the population to lose interest in the game. But if they don't join the Mega Guilds, then participating in Conquests is meaningless.

The way the objectives are defined in Conquests, it would seem that the whole point is to get people to play all of the content in the game, not just the new stuff. You suddenly have a reason to go back and run False Emporer, and Kaon Under Siege again. You might decide to take up crafting to achieve more objectives. This is actually quite brilliant of Bioware to engineer it this way. So it would seem that they would want as much of the player population as possible to WANT to compete and do the objectives. That's great.

Putting the 50 Million credit price for the Guild Ship aside, let's assume a Guild has earned that amount over time and bought their ship. It won't take long to realize that their <50 account Guild has absolutely NO SHOT at ever being on the leaderboard. A mega guild just has too much of an edge, even with casual players. This will cause Guilds to just abandon even trying to compete. So here is a solution. Use the same approach as they did in ground PvP. Break the competition into categories for SMALL (<60 Accounts), MEDIUM (60-125 Accounts), LARGE (126-225 Accounts) and MEGA (225+ Accounts). Each category would have its own Leaderboards, and the competition would at least be much better balanced.

The number of Guild Accounts would be determined a few hours before the start of the Conquest period. Any accounts added during the conquest period would not be able to contribute until the beginning of the next Conquest. That would prevent a Guild from booting 50 members and reinviting them right after the Conquest starts. (Thus enabling them to compete unfairly in a lower tier with more members.

Some kind of system like this would go a long way to keeping player interest in Guilds of all sizes. Our Guild is a Social Guild with 33 accounts. I was truly amazed when I ran an OPS with another Guild yesterday that had 300 accounts and 800 toons total. :eek: There is no way any Guild with even half that number could compete, much less one with 33 accounts.

If they were claiming that their guild had 800 toons, they lied to you. Guild max is 500.

post 2 is correct guild size is a max of 500.

I'm not happy about costs of well just about anything related to guild ships, strongholds or legacy banks. However I see no use in the Op's complaint until we see how it will work. its not even out yet. Note the costs have been given out.

STOP MISSUSING THE WORD MEGA!!!

mega=million

there are no guild with a million toons

THERE ARE NO MEGA GUILDS!!!!

Bad spelling, bad punctuation and bad capitalization in a post correcting someone. That, good sir, is the irony trifecta.

OP there's discussion of scaling conquests in this topic:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=756014&page=3

This makes sense and seems to balance things a bit.

Would like to see the guild flag ships have 2 versions, one with the full Monte costing the 50 million and a scaled down version with NO conquest options for considerable ( BUT could be upgraded if the difference were paid ) less for guild who have no interest in the conquest / leader boards .