Low DPS / APM - suggestions?

Wanchope

I've been slinging for a while now. I've spent plenty of time on an Ops dummy and have played around with a few specs (hybrid and full DF). But I am really starting to wonder if I am just doing something wrong.

http://www.torparse.com/a/650247

That is a link to an Ops dummy fight and probably the highest parse I have (its from 3 months ago). Pretty sure I was in hybrid spec. My DPS should be higher than it is. I don't think my rotation is off (please tell me if I am wrong). My only guess is that I have really low APM. I've heard folks saying you should be at like 40AMP. But I don't get how you can increase it? I'm hitting buttons before the GCD finishes, so how do you raise you APM given the rotation?

Anyways, I'd appreciate any suggestions. BTW, gear wise I am in 180s or better (got a couple of NiM DF pieces), 100.5% accuracy, etc etc. so I really don't think its a gear thing.

Edited by Wanchope

Your DPS is fine and looks pretty accurate.

I see no issues with it at all. One scored 3400. More than enough for your gear. Sure a few tweaks and so may push it a little, but not by much.

Only 186 pieces would push it more. To put in context, people of your class in full 186, by full I mean every single slot, are doing just over 4k

What are people doing to get 40 APM? Or is that just a fantasy or something?

I know my DPS isn't that bad, I typically am at the high end in my raid group. I'm just trying to really take it to the next level (if there is one) and was wondering if there was some easy fix. I know there are people out there with parses that are so much higher than mine that it has to be something beyond just better gear. The APM thing seemed like it could be that thing....

The parses for Sniper/Slingers with over 40 APM are in the Marksman/Sharpshooter spec; Lethality/Dirty Fighting and Hybrid seems to have an APM in the low 30's range.

Also, just an FYI, it's generally accepted to use the 1,000,000 HP dummy to compare parses.

Yeah, your APM is a little bit low. But 40 APM is not realistic for DF/Hybrid. Around 30 is good.

If you want help for dummyparsing check out the second post in this thread where "Za'hik" is posting his rotation.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=745008

Since Za'hik has the highest parse with hybrid it's worth listening :)

Here is a parse aswell http://www.torparse.com/a/716690/29/0/Overview

I will try out the other rotation, it is certainly different than what I have been using, but I am still confused as to how people are getting more attacks off than others. If we all use the same rotation, shouldn't we all have the same APM? Or is lag an issue? I've heard about setting the timer on the abilities ques to some such setting.... but I don't recall which or know if that is even part of the issue? Or are there some abilities you should be clipping?

• 2 weeks later...

There are few things you need to consider:

- you are gunslinger and have offhand, It makes it harder for us to get "lucky" parse with high crit levels on main hand atacks then it is for snipers. Snipers do not have off hand hits so when their Wounding Shot (Cull) is critting 45% of times this means 45% of their big hits are crits. For us Gunslingers getting same 45% of crits means you could get 10% of those crits on your off hand hits which are so pathetic low that it will really screw your DPS. Main hand crit of Wounding Shot will do 1600-1800 damage (or there abouts) while off hand crit will do some silly damage but will count as one of your CRITS:

09:00:51.096 Wanchope's Wounding Shots critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 1674* energy damage, causing 1674 threat!

09:00:51.096 Wanchope's Wounding Shots critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 105* energy damage, causing 105 threat!

this is calculated in your total crit chance so more offhand cirts means less main hand crits.

Sniper dosn't have this issue - if he crits then he crits big:

23:29:29.963 Zah'ik's Cull critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 1555* internal damage, causing 1555 threat!

23:29:29.963 Zah'ik gains 2 energy.

23:29:29.963 Zah'ik's Cull critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 1555* internal damage, causing 1555 threat!

23:29:29.964 Zah'ik's Cull critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 1567* energy damage, causing 1567 threat!

23:29:30.862 Zah'ik's Poisoned (Tech) hits Operations Training Dummy for 816 internal damage, causing 816 threat.

23:29:30.962 Zah'ik gains 2 energy.

23:29:30.962 Zah'ik's Cull critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 1555* internal damage, causing 1555 threat!

23:29:30.963 Zah'ik's Cull hits Operations Training Dummy for 895 internal damage, causing 895 threat.

23:29:30.964 Zah'ik's Cull critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 1608* energy damage, causing 1608 threat!

So straight away you should see huge difference here. This goes for all our skills, Speed Shot Charged Burst and Aimed Shot. However In Hybrid Charged Burst should only be used when you have Lucky Shots buff so your RNG is removed from this skill. While Snipers main hand does lower damage they have less issues with RNG.

As a Gunslinger you not only have to deal with Crit Chance RNG but also offhand RNG. In order to get >3.5k prases you would have to do a lot of them and get:

a) 45%+ crit on most of your skills

b) most of your crits need to be on Main Hand hits

Now to your parses:

I would use Vital Shot last in your "dot application" part of rotation. This always gave me best up-time on dots on the target.

Also Illegal Mods Should be use exclusively after Sabo Charge (best to use macro for this). If your IM comes of cool down i would delay it until next Sabo Charge - helps a ton with energy management.

In the opening rotation after first wounding shots you used SC (good) then Speed Shoot (good) then Charged Burst. This delays your next wounding shot by around a second (lad and stuff). I usually just do SC (IM) +SS, then wait for almost a second and just use WS as soon as i can. Then reapply Sharp Bomb and Shock Charge, use Charged Burst here and then Vital Shot. After global cooldown from VS comes off your Wounding Shots are ready to be used. This way you are not delaying your WS (which is a massing DPS lose) and your APM will go up.

Between first and second Wounding shot you should always use SS+something (SC, or CB+LS or AS). You could use SC+CB(LS)+AS but not sure is this a DPS loss. if Anything I always delay CB with LS till dot application.

Hope this helps