[Bug] Inconsistent Phasewalk Physics

naldoran

After a bit of experimentation with the teleport functionality of phasewalk, I've discovered some weirdness about how it interacts with fall damage. I had always assumed that the teleport animation involved zeroing your velocity (i.e. if you're moving before the teleport, you're not moving afterwards) but that only happens sometimes.

Scenario 1: Phasewalk planted on the upper part of the VIP lounge.

1. Jump off the edge.

2. Reach terminal velocity while falling.

3. Activate phasewalk after falling about halfway to the ground.

4. Re-appear on the upper level, zero movement, zero fall damage.

Scenario 2: Phasewalk planted in the cantina below VIP lounge

1. Jump off the edge.

2. Reach terminal velocity while falling.

3. Activate phasewalk after falling about halfway to the ground.

4. Appear on the ground, dead, having taken full fall damage despite.

In one scenario phasewalk serves to kill my momentum (thus no fall damage) in the other it does not. Either there's something wrong with the way fall damage is calculated (most likely) or phasewalk does not behave consistently in all circumstances.

I can understand if it 'saves' you from falling when getting 'pulled' back, but trying to use it in order to fall and still end up alive at the bottom feels almost a bit like something that could perhaps be considered as abuse of a game mechanic if that had actually worked.

Maybe it has something to do with the height difference. Or not being within reach of the phasewalk target from the point where you jumped. Since when you phasewalk back up to where you jumped from, you were at all times within the required max distance but when phasewalking down, you might have started beyond the maximum phasewalk distance. Could you have used phasewalk to get down without the jump?

Edited by LeJarC