Need help with windows 8

I have recently had a new laptop which uses windows 8, The laptop is one for HD gaming. The problem is that when I play SW :TOR the laptop keep returning to the desktop. I have looked online and found that many others are having this same issue and some say how to fix it, but only if using windows 7. So has anyone using window 8 had this issue and found out how to fix it.

Please note this is for windows 8 and not 7. though I am sure some would be happy to have the fix for windows 7 posted as well.

So can anyone help me on this issue? Not good with tech by any means so if you have the solution please give step by step instructions.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

Edited by DreadtechSavant

I ran into this issue after I (regretfully) 'upgraded' to Windows 8.

If like me somewhere on the edge of your screen (mine was in the top left corner) you may see a small sliver of the game when its running. My resolution in Windows was also screwed up.

To fix this I went to C:/Users/<My Username>/AppData/SWTOR/ ... a text file that is something like settings.

Open it and look for resolution X and resolution Y.

Change it so its 1024x980 (I think its 980, you can double check by editing the interface settings in Windows.

Once it launches you can edit the resolution again.

I use Windows 8.1, but have never had this issue. Need more information, such as:

• By "desktop" do you mean the Start Screen where your apps appear?

• Does SWTOR quit running altogether, or is it only minimized?

• Does the PC revert to desktop automatically or after you click on some part of the screen?

I have recently had a new laptop which uses windows 8, The laptop is one for HD gaming. The problem is that when I play SW :TOR the laptop keep returning to the desktop. I have looked online and found that many others are having this same issue and some say how to fix it, but only if using windows 7. So has anyone using window 8 had this issue and found out how to fix it.

Please note this is for windows 8 and not 7. though I am sure some would be happy to have the fix for windows 7 posted as well.

So can anyone help me on this issue? Not good with tech by any means so if you have the solution please give step by step instructions.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

I've actually had the same problem. While I've found a solution that does seem to work it probably isn't what you're expecting. :)

I noticed it seeming to happen when, as I played, I would brush my palm on the corner of the touch pad. What I assumed was happening was windows 8 was attempting to pull up the menu that appears whenever you drag the cursor to the corner of the screen. I'm assuming my palm touching the corner of the pad causes the cursor to move to that corner causing the menu to attempt to pull up causing the desktop to overtake the game.

What I do is take a small dish towel & place it over the space below my keyboard. This prevents me from hitting the touchpad plus provides a cushion for my palms :) Again I'm sure that's not what you were after, but since I've started doing it I never end up at the desktop. Every once in a while I'll forget to put it there & within 15 minutes I'm back at the desktop again. (amazingly always when I'm in a fight)

I've actually had the same problem. While I've found a solution that does seem to work it probably isn't what you're expecting. :)

I noticed it seeming to happen when, as I played, I would brush my palm on the corner of the touch pad. What I assumed was happening was windows 8 was attempting to pull up the menu that appears whenever you drag the cursor to the corner of the screen. I'm assuming my palm touching the corner of the pad causes the cursor to move to that corner causing the menu to attempt to pull up causing the desktop to overtake the game.

What I do is take a small dish towel & place it over the space below my keyboard. This prevents me from hitting the touchpad plus provides a cushion for my palms :) Again I'm sure that's not what you were after, but since I've started doing it I never end up at the desktop. Every once in a while I'll forget to put it there & within 15 minutes I'm back at the desktop again. (amazingly always when I'm in a fight)

Had that problem on a laptop once. I disabled the touchpad. :cool:

Edited by scratcha
grammar

I use Windows 8.1, but have never had this issue. Need more information, such as:

• Does the PC revert to desktop automatically or after you click on some part of the screen?

It only gets minimized so can just open it again but keeps happening, sometime every few minutes, other times maybe every 20-30 mins. longest I have managed is about 45 mins but only once.

Reverts to desktop automatically even if not touching the laptop such as this morning went to make a cup of coffee and got back to see the desktop and not the game. As for what I mean by desktop it be same as nothing other than the game been used then minimized as in your second question.

As for post 2, I did change screen size in game. once I work out how to do what you said, I will try that as well. Really I know nothing about computers it amazing I got the game on it without been shown how to do it, lol but joking aside computers are not my thing. Can make you all sort of stuff out of sheet metal though)

It only gets minimized so can just open it again but keeps happening, sometime every few minutes, other times maybe every 20-30 mins. longest I have managed is about 45 mins but only once.

Reverts to desktop automatically even if not touching the laptop such as this morning went to make a cup of coffee and got back to see the desktop and not the game. As for what I mean by desktop it be same as nothing other than the game been used then minimized as in your second question.

As for post 2, I did change screen size in game. once I work out how to do what you said, I will try that as well. Really I know nothing about computers it amazing I got the game on it without been shown how to do it, lol but joking aside computers are not my thing. Can make you all sort of stuff out of sheet metal though)

I should be home from work in a couple hours and I can give specifics then (sorry for the vagueness).

However it seems you are having a different issue then I was. The issue I was having was that I couldn't even see the game (Except for the small sliver) and saw and could interact with my desktop instead.

I know you weren't talking to me, but I am having the same issue.

Yes it goes to the start screen not the desktop if I'm remembering correctly

It is only minimized

I've noticed it happens when my palm would brush against the touchpad, covering the pad with a towell seems to stop the problem completely.

I should be home from work in a couple hours and I can give specifics then (sorry for the vagueness).

However it seems you are having a different issue then I was. The issue I was having was that I couldn't even see the game (Except for the small sliver) and saw and could interact with my desktop instead.

Thanks I will be online trying to play the game as it endlessly keep returning to desktop but will look here every 20 mins, but its already 9.40 pm here so probably only be on for about 3 hours.

I'm not using it either, however as I use the keys my palm brushes the touchpad, I think this is the issue.

thanks again for the suggestion as all helps even if its only to elimination what it could and could not be. However I am using a mouse as well as key board but not touching the screen at all, I could be wrong here as I have never used the touchpad but thought it would be on the screen? but also as mentioned before I could go out of the room with game up and come back in with desktop showing as this happened today when I went to make coffee, so could not even touch anything on the pc. but as I said it still helps by eliminating that as the cause. Also your suggestion might help others, if that worked for you its sure to work for some else.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

I appreciate the effort but that doesn't really cover what I'm looking for. It lists 4 ways, the first is "some laptops have a 'touchpad off' button. To my knowledge my laptop has no such button, so that doesn't help.

Second method it suggest going into mouse settings & disable the buttons, however at the bottom it says "Following this method you can disable only touchpad buttons but your track pad will be still in active mode" Being that my problem is with the "trackpad" as they're calling it this doesn't help either.

Next it suggests a program, but that program only disables the trackpad when typing, so if I happen to bump the pad while not typing I still have the same problem.

Finally it suggests donwloading new drivers & hoping the third party that made the trackpad has that feature in their newest drivers.

So if anyone actually knows how to disable the trackpad I'd appreciate it.

Try this to disable your touchpad :

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Select Mice and other pointing devices.

3. Right-click Touchpad. In the popup select Disable.

Hope this helps.

As for OP's problem, I've done a bit of research, finding this is a common problem. Regrettably, I've yet to locate a reliable solution. Most likely an app (or malware) is causing a loss of focus. So, you might investigate to see if one of your startup apps is the culprit. Alternatively, you might do a scan with something like Malwarebytes to see if you've picked up a virus.

I'm sorry I cannot be more help, but I'm just a very technologically challenged former history teacher.

Edited by scratcha
grammar

thanks again for the suggestion as all helps even if its only to elimination what it could and could not be. However I am using a mouse as well as key board but not touching the screen at all, I could be wrong here as I have never used the touchpad but thought it would be on the screen? but also as mentioned before I could go out of the room with game up and come back in with desktop showing as this happened today when I went to make coffee, so could not even touch anything on the pc. but as I said it still helps by eliminating that as the cause. Also your suggestion might help others, if that worked for you its sure to work for some else.

The touchpad isn't on the screen, it's the little square with two buttons below it people use as a mouse. Here's a picture.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/alienware-m14x-review-laptop-touchpad.jpg

As you can see it's right below the keyboard so easy to brush as you're typing despite the fact you may not be actually attempting to use it.

However if it's happening while you're away from the machine then I don't know :(

Edited by scottythebod

Kinda OT but since we're doing tech support in here I figured I'd throw it out there & see if someone can answer.

Since getting my new laptop I've had a weird issue with my wireless router. When I start my laptop & attempt to open internet explorer it tells me I have no internet access. After checking the other devices on the network everything else is maintaining a connection to the internet. After about 5 minutes I close IE, reopen it & it connects. It will stay connected as long as I actively use the computer.

However as soon as it shuts down (either due to me turning it off or just inactivity) when I restart I have the same problem. It's not unusable, but it's just a pain having to plan 5 minutes ahead whenever I want to do something online (I know 1st world problem :D)

So my question is could it have anything to do with settings? Possibly the old router (it's about 5 years old, maybe a little older) not communicating well with the newer laptop? Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

It's remotely possible your router is the issue, but before you go about changing channels, try this:

• From your Start screen, open PC Settings
  • Click on Network
  • An icon for current network will appear at right, click on that icon
  • Directly under "Find devices and content" a slider will be shown, make sure ON is indicated (if and when you access public networks you should switch this to OFF)

Good luck

This is only for Windows 8 and 8.1