UI bug in AH - With a category + short word entered, search button is not disabled

Jerba

A friend of mine discovered a small interface bug with the Auction House. It is a very specific issue, but it is easily reproducible and I imagine it will confuse new players that do not know the game that well.

Unfortunately, I do not know how long this bug has been in the game; it has probably existed for a few months now.

I recorded a video to demonstrate the bug here: http://www.twitch.tv/theeho/c/4383371

Steps to reproduce:

• Open the GTN, select a category (e.g. Item modifications -> Mod), hit search.
  • The window will now display a list of items up for sale.
  • Now enter "34" in the "name" field and search again.

Expected behaviour:

• The "search" button should be greyed out since it is never possible to search for words with less than three characters, or
  • The "search" button stays clickable, but on clicking the list of items should be cleared since this type of search should not be allowed and there are no items fitting the search parameters.

Actual behaviour:

• The list of items stays visible even though they do not have a "34" in the name
  • When moving the mouse over an icon, the tooltip only shows the item name and description, but no longer any stats or the type of binding.
  • Clicking the "purchase item" button on the right has no effect; nothing is being bought
  • Only when using the arrows at the bottom to go to the second page does the list refresh and no items are being displayed.

Apparently, the client seems to think that whenever a category is selected, you are allowed to search for words with less than three characters, like "34"; that's why the search button stays clickable. However, the server never allows searches with words shorter than three characters, even when a category is selected. So it seems like there is a contradictory implementation on client and server side.

Possible solutions:

• Fix the client and disable the button when a word with less than three characters is entered, or
  • Fix the server and allow a search when a word with less than three characters is entered AND a category is selected, or
  • Leave it as it is, but clear the list of items when clicking search. They are not purchaseable anyway and only confuse the players.

Edited by Jerba