The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Am I missing something? Threat generation is next to nothing.

Vizantir

Hello readers.

I recently got my powertech to 55 (finally) and geared her in 168 gear. Unfortunately I have a glaring problem...

I just ran Mandalorian Raiders and I seem to not be able to hold aggro on anything without being forced to blow taunts and overheat trying to take aggro back. I use rocket punch and rail shot on CD's and flame sweep/thrower when I receive their procs (Flame Engine and Flame Surge).

I'm due to tank a guild Dread Fortress SM alt quest run tonight on my PT too... and at this progress, it won't go so well.

I tank Hard/Nightmare mode content on my assassin and other raids on my Jugg, and I don't have any trouble with that.

Advice anyone?

Edited by Vizantir

Few things to consider:

- You're wearing 168 gear. While perfectly acceptable for tanking a hm fp, you will most likely meet people in 180 gear

- It's Mando Raiders:

1st Boss you hold aggro on the boss, dogs are not your concern. You will loose aggro everytime he stuns you, thats normal.

2nd one is 4 guys to keep on you - takes a bit of practise if dps isn't focussing on one

Last one: Again - multiple targets

You're using the abilities on cooldown / procc, that's fine so far but how often are you using flame burst ?

For me it's more or less standard filler along with rapid shots if the heat gets too high (and high heat is pretty much standard while I tank, just not too high)

Also remember to preload your shoulder cannon before a fight and use it as a means for additional threat. The healing part of it is nice but not worth saving the ability for it so use it as soon as its available.

You can more or less follow the guide here:

http://dulfy.net/2014/01/05/swtor-shield-tech-powertech-tanking-class-guide/

the things specific to the fights you will find out with some practice.

Hmm, unlike a Sin tank a PT tank almost needs to taunt in their opening rotation to ensure aggro. Granted I am not that experienced with PT tanking, but my cotank is a PT tank and has been since making his PT. And I know he throws in a taunt into his opening rotation, as for what his opener is I think he goes like so;

Explosive Fuel, DFA, Jet Charge, Rocket Punch, Rail Shot.

I can only theorize why he does it, but I know the threat gen it creates is less then that of my Sin and the two of us are equally geared.

Few things to consider:

- You're wearing 168 gear. While perfectly acceptable for tanking a hm fp, you will most likely meet people in 180 gear

- It's Mando Raiders:

1st Boss you hold aggro on the boss, dogs are not your concern. You will loose aggro everytime he stuns you, thats normal.

2nd one is 4 guys to keep on you - takes a bit of practise if dps isn't focussing on one

Last one: Again - multiple targets.

I've tanked Mando Raiders more times than I can count, however I was running it on my PT with the dps being in a mix of 156/162 gear.

@Everyone else who posted: Thanks for your advice. I guess I need to remap a lot of my skills to make it more fluid.