The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why isn't Storm a VG class ability?

Jugg/Guardian's have Force Push and Force Leap as Advance CLASS abilities. No need to talent for it, they have it as a tank or dps. Why, oh why did they make VG's grapple a class ability but completely forget about their charge (Storm) ability? As a dps, you would think having a gap closer (like a Jugg/Guardian) would be helpful. Is there some history of the class I'm not aware of that prevented the standard charge gap closer from being standard for the class?

Very strange indeed.

Edited by CecilPaladin

"This is the sixth time we have created a thread about all Vanguards getting Storm, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it."

In PvE:

Knights need leaps because all of their big attacks are 4m range (except for Blade Storm and Dispatch). Vanguards only need to be within 4m for Stockstrike (and Gut for Tactics) and can DPS effectively from 10m out most of the time. The Knight leap also serves as a counter to knockback mechanics; Vanguards have Hold The Line instead, which can be used reactively to close gaps or proactively to avoid knockbacks entirely.

In PvP:

Being able to DPS from 10m out makes Vanguards excellent against pure-melee classes, since they can kite effectively, keeping enemies out of melee range but still being able to do heavy damage to them. The grapple is far more useful than a leap to this playstyle.

So TL DR, its because of PvP. Gotcha.

So many cool things games can have. . . all ruined because of pvp balance.

Did you read his post? How is anything ruined? He explained why in PVE it is in fact not necessary for DPS VG/PT to have the leap. It is only tanks that need the gap closer as they need to generate threat quickly.

I did, but hes talking necessity vs convenience. I'm sure most dps VG/PT's would love to have charge in their ability list. Guardians and Sent's have a charge ability. Sure they can saber throw and/or do some ranged type abilities while running up to the mob, but a charge is much more useful.

It's not like it's something they have to change, it's already part of the class via talent. Why not make it baseline?

I see the primary reason would be that giving VG/PT's a charge and a grapple might be OP in PvP. But that doesn't stop shield specs from doing that already.

I did, but hes talking necessity vs convenience. I'm sure most dps VG/PT's would love to have charge in their ability list. Guardians and Sent's have a charge ability. Sure they can saber throw and/or do some ranged type abilities while running up to the mob, but a charge is much more useful.

It's not like it's something they have to change, it's already part of the class via talent. Why not make it baseline?

I see the primary reason would be that giving VG/PT's a charge and a grapple might be OP in PvP. But that doesn't stop shield specs from doing that already.

As you said it would make them OP. Besides, the DPS specs already have grapple, so if you add a leap it is incredibly over powered.

Keep in mind that, due to their mechanic, Knights really can't do much at all unless they are in melee range, or have been in the last few seconds. Saber Throw is basically it. So it seems fair enough to me they get Leap as baseline.

I'd love to have baseline Storm, but I can live without it. Don't think I could say the same of Leap as a Knight/Warrior.

If it were me, instead of making Storm baseline, I'd add a HTL cooldown reduction to Into the Fray (Vanguard lv10 passive). Seems like it would be much less work.

Edited by OniGanon