The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sith "Saber" Rank Origin?

DarthDymond

The Lost Tribe of the Sith from the "Fate of the Jedi" series was a society formed by survivors of a crashed Sith Empire warship from the Great Hyperspace War - so they originated from the same civilization that the Empire in SWTOR did: the original Sith Empire.

I haven't had a chance to read the actual "Lost Tribe" e-books or the "Spiral" comic series, so I'm wondering if anyone who has can answer a question for me: Do they establish whether the rank of Sith "Saber", which in FotJ is treated as basically the Sith equivalent of Jedi Knight, is a term that originated on Kesh or whether it seems to have been a preexisting term from the Sith Empire?

Edited by DarthDymond

The Lost Tribe of the Sith from the "Fate of the Jedi" series was a society formed by survivors of a crashed Sith Empire warship from the Great Hyperspace War - so they originated from the same civilization that the Empire in SWTOR did: the original Sith Empire.

I haven't had a chance to read the actual "Lost Tribe" e-books or the "Spiral" comic series, so I'm wondering if anyone who has can answer a question for me: Do they establish whether the rank of Sith "Saber", which in FotJ is treated as basically the Sith equivalent of Jedi Knight, is a term that originated on Kesh or whether it seems to have been a preexisting term from the Sith Empire?

It was a term established on Keshiri and would be the equivalent of a high level apprentice or Lord in the SWTOR era.

I guess a Jedi Knight would be a correct comparison, though the Jedi of Luke's era appeared very often to be superior to the Sabers...

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking the SWTOR empire is the same as the Hyperspace War eras Sith Empire. There is a major distinction in political, military, technological, and cultural life between the two. The SWTOR Empire formed from the remains of that empire, but it changed considerably and Vitiate's claim to power was not official. The Old Sith Empire died with Naga Sadow, Vitiate made his own, newer Sith Empire in the image of the old.

It was a term established on Keshiri and would be the equivalent of a high level apprentice or Lord in the SWTOR era.

I guess a Jedi Knight would be a correct comparison, though the Jedi of Luke's era appeared very often to be superior to the Sabers...

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking the SWTOR empire is the same as the Hyperspace War eras Sith Empire. There is a major distinction in political, military, technological, and cultural life between the two. The SWTOR Empire formed from the remains of that empire, but it changed considerably and Vitiate's claim to power was not official. The Old Sith Empire died with Naga Sadow, Vitiate made his own, newer Sith Empire in the image of the old.

Agreed, that's why I specifically said that they both "originated from the same civilization", not that the SWTOR Empire was the same empire.

Also, do you happen to remember in which e-book or comic they establish that the rank originated on Kesh?

Edited by DarthDymond

Agreed, that's why I specifically said that they both "originated from the same civilization", not that the SWTOR Empire was the same empire.

Also, do you happen to remember in which e-book or comic they establish that the rank originated on Kesh?

Apparently Wooki says that Saber is mentioned in "Savior" but I don't really remember that. I more remember that rank being discussed in "Purgatory" because the main character of that was a Sith Saber. "Purgatory" and "Sentinel" were my favorite.

I liked the Lost Tribe of the Sith novels and don't know much of the Tribe during Luke's era, but in my opinion the Sith Sabers were kind of scrubs. They had problems deflecting blaster bolts and made a certain ancient Dark Lord of the Sith look like Sidious in terms of how quickly/easily he established power.

Lost Tribe of Sith have over a half dozen ranks. If Sith Saber is equivalent to SWTOR's Lord, then what about their- Sith Master, Lord/Lady, High Lord/Lady, Grand Consort, Grand Lord, etc. Edited by Sadishist