The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Additional surname

LEGACY RANT AHOY, LOOK OUT LANDLUBBERS

I keep my Legacy name permanently disabled because it's useless to me, because all my characters are not related, because it's really not possible to create rich and compelling stories for an inexplicable cosmic dynasty spread out over a bunch of different species, time periods, and cultures.

Like... that's a cute idea? And totally, if someone has a great idea for how to tell their story that way, go for it.

But I don't want all my characters to have the same surname, because each one has their own complex backstory, and they're NOT RELATED.

So, I just turn my Legacy name off, since it's useless. Whoo hoo.

Seriously, even games as ancient and mummified as EQ and LOTRO let you have individual character surnames. :mad:

It's a step up from WoW, which after 10 years still doesn't even give you a second name option, but it's more of a tease than a real feature.

And the whole Family Tree? OK? This has no purpose. Can we just delete it? It pollutes the Legacy panel and confuses new players into thinking it matters. Again, it's the devs forcing a cute idea onto everyone even though it's not appropriate for everyone.

I really, really wish they would scrap the whole "dynasty" aspect of the Legacy system and just let each character be their own character. We can be "related" through history, deeds, or actions without all inexplicably being blood relatives and sharing the same surname.

I understand why they thought it would be cool, and I'm totally OK with them trying this experiment. But it's a failed experiment IMO, and I wish we could move on past it.

TL;DR SHUT UP SW:

Yes. I would very much like a way to give each individual character their own surname. Even if it cost CC.

LEGACY RANT AHOY, LOOK OUT LANDLUBBERS

I keep my Legacy name permanently disabled because it's useless to me, because all my characters are not related, because it's really not possible to create rich and compelling stories for an inexplicable cosmic dynasty spread out over a bunch of different species, time periods, and cultures.

Like... that's a cute idea? And totally, if someone has a great idea for how to tell their story that way, go for it.

But I don't want all my characters to have the same surname, because each one has their own complex backstory, and they're NOT RELATED.

So, I just turn my Legacy name off, since it's useless. Whoo hoo.

Seriously, even games as ancient and mummified as EQ and LOTRO let you have individual character surnames. :mad:

It's a step up from WoW, which after 10 years still doesn't even give you a second name option, but it's more of a tease than a real feature.

And the whole Family Tree? OK? This has no purpose. Can we just delete it? It pollutes the Legacy panel and confuses new players into thinking it matters. Again, it's the devs forcing a cute idea onto everyone even though it's not appropriate for everyone.

I really, really wish they would scrap the whole "dynasty" aspect of the Legacy system and just let each character be their own character. We can be "related" through history, deeds, or actions without all inexplicably being blood relatives and sharing the same surname.

I understand why they thought it would be cool, and I'm totally OK with them trying this experiment. But it's a failed experiment IMO, and I wish we could move on past it.

TL;DR SHUT UP SW:

Yes. I would very much like a way to give each individual character their own surname. Even if it cost CC.

This, this and more this.

The original dev team obviously had the foundations of an idea but once that dev team left and the game went free to play, the Legacy system was left hanging.

It really just needs to be scrapped. I honestly would pay CC to be able to give my Mirialan smuggler her own surname that isn't related to my human's. And that's really sad because it's something I should have been able to do in the first place.

Legacy title? Okay I get that. But please don't make me keep trying to make my Pureblood related to my Miraluka.

You guys are actually missing the point of the Legacy name. Despite how it's framed as some kind of role-play thing to set up a family tree (that doesn't actually matter or seen by anyone else), it's actually meant to be a way for other players to tell it's still "you" when you switch to an alt, if you so choose. .

You guys are actually missing the point of the Legacy name. Despite how it's framed as some kind of role-play thing to set up a family tree (that doesn't actually matter or seen by anyone else), it's actually meant to be a way for other players to tell it's still "you" when you switch to an alt, if you so choose. .
Well, I'd rather have my characters' actual RP names than the useless ability to save 1.2 microseconds typing: "Hi, it's my alt". Edited by SW_display_name

That logic fell apart the day they allowed for multiple accounts to have the same Legacy name. They aren't unique anymore.