The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Does the light side of the Force *really* use positive emotions?

Beniboybling

Well, in some conflict resolution seminars I've attended, during meditation exercises, we would be instructed to recollect a happy memory or an event that filled us with joy or hope (eg. the day you married the love of your life, the day you were baptized or confirmed if you're religious, or some other happy occasion) and think of that, and by doing that, it actually allowed us to center ourselves and find inner peace. I'd imagine the same can apply to the Jedi; by focusing on things that bring them joy, it could help them find that serenity that they need to function.
This seems the most likely case, benevolent emotions being a means to an end as opposed to an end it itself. The end being a state of calm. Emotion, yet peace makes a lot more sense from this perspective.
That's what separates Sith from just the average darkside user. An average darkside user lets themselves be driven and controlled by their anger, hate, and passions, while the Sith--at least the good ones--become masters of their passions and use them as fuel. That's the difference between Malgus, who knew how to effectively harness his rage almost all the time, and Luke, who lost all control over himself and let his rage drive him during his duel with Vader on the Death Star.
While true, Sith will always be driven by their emotions. After all the primary goal of almost all Sith Lords is the same, a lust for power - and it's there emotions that drive that. A Sith would likely assume and tell you otherwise but ultimately that is what makes them so misguided, they don't realise that they are being manipulated and forging their own chains.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I understand it, it's the strongest, the most refined emotion of all - the unconditional love of each and every sentient equally. Because a Jedi does not focus love on one creature above the other, that is why s/he can come across as lacking emotion to a regular person, and will win either admiration or fear.

I read Jedi codex as not a BUT statement, but AND statement. There is no emotion and there is peace.

Edited by DomiSotto