The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Does the light side of the Force *really* use positive emotions?

Beniboybling

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, looks fine to me.

Ok, now I understand what you meant. Truthfully I don't know why Tython no longer responds the way it did. Its possible the introduction of the Flesh raiders balanced out the Light Jedi. Its also possible that with the arrival of the Sith back onto Korriban, Tython no longer needed to be balanced out; as Korriban and Tython balanced each other. Finally its possible that Tython simply adjusted to having a heavy Light side presence.

Ok, now I understand what you meant. Truthfully I don't know why Tython no longer responds the way it did. Its possible the introduction of the Flesh raiders balanced out the Light Jedi. Its also possible that with the arrival of the Sith back onto Korriban, Tython no longer needed to be balanced out; as Korriban and Tython balanced each other. Finally its possible that Tython simply adjusted to having a heavy Light side presence.

Who knows? Honestly, I always thought of that (imbalance causing chaos) to be stupid (a bit harsh, more like odd), especially considering that no other planet I know of has this issue.

Who knows? Honestly, I always thought of that (imbalance causing chaos) to be stupid (a bit harsh, more like odd), especially considering that no other planet I know of has this issue.

The whole floating pyramid thing was a bit sketchy as well. Tython might have special significance as that was where the original Je'Daii order first arrived.

The whole floating pyramid thing was a bit sketchy as well. Tython might have special significance as that was where the original Je'Daii order first arrived.

Perhaps. It is peculiar. It could have special significance, but I don't know. I rarely, if ever, explore that time.

Anyway, I think I'll answer the question in the OP. No, I don't it does. One could say that they are apart of the Light Side, but "use" is a different matter entirely.

Tython is a Force Nexus close the center of the galaxy where is would seem the Force itself (or at least midichlorians) was "born" and as such seems to be extremely sensitive not only to the Force itself, but to its cosmic balance.

Given that the Force is now "in balance" - what with the light and dark sides clashing with seeming no end - Tython is seems to be stable. But lets not forget that by the time of Bane the planet is a wasteland steeped in the dark side.

Tython is a Force Nexus close the center of the galaxy where is would seem the Force itself (or at least midichlorians) was "born" and as such seems to be extremely sensitive not only to the Force itself, but to its cosmic balance.

Given that the Force is now "in balance" - what with the light and dark sides clashing with seeming no end - Tython is seems to be stable. But lets not forget that by the time of Bane the planet is a wasteland steeped in the dark side.

Still odd...

I'm gonna pioint out that the problem with wookiepedia is the problem with any Wiki.

It's alterable by anyone and doesn't nesscarily require truth.

Well that is partly the point, its an assumption made by the fans, but not necessarily true.

But I feel it sums up the position fairly well.

Ok going to say my opinion on this, just a note i have not read this entire post so bear with me and i apologize if this was already stated or not what you are looking for.

My understanding of the lightside is it drawns on calmness and compassion. A person surrounded in light will feel a weight lifted off them and that alone can make some one very happy.

What it is NOT pulling on is Passion. In any shape or form. Does the light pull on Love?..... yes, but not PASSIONATE love, they pull on compationate love.

So in short, yes it pulls on Positive emotions, if the emotion is Passionate it is dark, not light.

My understanding of the lightside is it drawns on calmness and compassion. A person surrounded in light will feel a weight lifted off them and that alone can make some one very happy.
This is very interesting, personally I would say that the calm and serene feelings the light side encourages allows for a compassionate, kind, benevolent perspective - as opposed to requiring it to draw on the light in the first place. Its a result of drawing on the light side, as opposed to a cause.

After all you can't be universally compassionate, benevolent, selfless or even just plain kind without being calm.

This is very interesting, personally I would say that the calm and serene feelings the light side encourages allows for a compassionate, kind, benevolent perspective - as opposed to requiring it to draw on the light in the first place. Its a result of drawing on the light side, as opposed to a cause.

After all you can't be universally compassionate, benevolent, selfless or even just plain kind without being calm.

Ya i always felt it was more a result then a requirement. The requirement being the whole "passive" almost, but even that doesnt sound about right. I mean think about it obi-wans first lesson to Luke was "stretch out with your feelings"

Qui-gon "feel don't think"

Ya i always felt it was more a result then a requirement. The requirement being the whole "passive" almost, but even that doesnt sound about right. I mean think about it obi-wans first lesson to Luke was "stretch out with your feelings"

Qui-gon "feel don't think"

Passive implies inaction, so yeah it doesn't quite fit. Its more of a case of opening yourself up, not being narrowed down by attachments and in that way you can see things for what they really are, rather than what you want them to be.

Clarity effectively, you can't be compassionate and truly kind without clarity.

Edited by Beniboybling

Passive implies inaction, so yeah it doesn't quite fit. Its more of a case of opening yourself up, not being narrowed down by attachments and in that way you can see things for what they really are, rather than what you want them to be.

Clarity effectively, you can't be compassionate and truly kind without clarity.

ya that sounds about right

Ok, im going to play devils advocate for the Dark side. Yes the dark side uses such emotions as hate and anger, but are those two emotions necessarily bad? Humans get angry, it happens, there is nothing unnatural or bad about it. Why then, in the context of the force, does anger get a bad rep? I can understand not letting it control you, but if you control it whats the harm?

Yes the dark side uses such emotions as hate and anger, but are those two emotions necessarily bad?

Yoda thinks so...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Yoda thinks so...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Only if you let the anger consume you. Oddly enough, the Jedi as a whole have more fears than the Sith. (Dark side, Romance, love ect.)

Yoda thinks so...

But a true Sith masters his fear.

Jedi like to avoid and suppress their emotion, the Sith like to face it, use it and dominate it.

Only if you let the anger consume you. Oddly enough, the Jedi as a whole have more fears than the Sith. (Dark side, Romance, love ect.)

Sith do not get consumed by fear, they face their fear and use it as weapon.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Well, in some conflict resolution seminars I've attended, during meditation exercises, we would be instructed to recollect a happy memory or an event that filled us with joy or hope (eg. the day you married the love of your life, the day you were baptized or confirmed if you're religious, or some other happy occasion) and think of that, and by doing that, it actually allowed us to center ourselves and find inner peace. I'd imagine the same can apply to the Jedi; by focusing on things that bring them joy, it could help them find that serenity that they need to function.

On the exterior, inside they are filled with raging emotions.

That's what separates Sith from just the average darkside user. An average darkside user lets themselves be driven and controlled by their anger, hate, and passions, while the Sith--at least the good ones--become masters of their passions and use them as fuel. That's the difference between Malgus, who knew how to effectively harness his rage almost all the time, and Luke, who lost all control over himself and let his rage drive him during his duel with Vader on the Death Star.

Edited by Sanguiluna

Well, in some conflict resolution seminars I've attended, during meditation exercises, we would be instructed to recollect a happy memory or an event that filled us with joy or hope (eg. the day you married the love of your life, the day you were baptized or confirmed if you're religious, or some other happy occasion) and think of that, and by doing that, it actually allowed us to center ourselves and find inner peace. I'd imagine the same can apply to the Jedi; by focusing on things that bring them joy, it could help them find that serenity that they need to function.

I'd imagine methods like this to be something of a lower tier meditative practice - something taught to apprentices and Padawans as they discover their connection to the Force. Eventually a Jedi would learn to do this almost subconsciously, connecting with the Force through a tranquil state that they carry with them (several sources seemingly indicating that the stronger the connection to the Light Side, the greater the sensation of inner peace - think of a Jedi Master as a still pond, compared to a Sith Lord as a simmering pool on the verge of boiling)

This is different to other fantasy depictions of inner power or magic, where those positive emotions evoke the inner power/magic to create a positive effect - a Jedi isn't filled with love or joy when they use the Force, it's a state of calm and inner peace - which, at least in my own headcanon, is why a Jedi doesn't lose their ability to use the Force in times of stress - while a Sith continuously battles with themselves to keep their anger and hatred under control, a Jedi's inner peace permeates through their entire being, even in times of stress - hence the expression 'Let the Force flow through you' - a Jedi can be stressed, or worried, or even angry at times. But when they stop, and let the Force flow, then the Light Side will bring them back to that state of calm. Emotion, yet peace.

Edited by GrimAce