The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Spend less time making stuff for the Market and fix bugs.

be specific smarty pants. cartel market related bugs like the double hoods still on the investigators robe and pathfinders, calo nord and marka ragnos's helmet to small having peoples heads stick out.

Or do u mean non cartel market development team bugs?

-sighs- Why do people -refuse- to acknowledge the fact that the CM is a seperate team?

Bob is trained to make donuts. You want an iced latte and are mad bob doesn't stop making donuts and make that latte for you while jim who makes iced lattes is cleaning the latte machine.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Why dont they hire one of the CM devs to fix some bugs then. They must be smart they can make new items maybe they can fix some bugs.

Different coding skills.... You are assuming all developers who do X can do Y, Z, G, B, A.

So, you can do 2+2? can you proof read and check all of Steven Hawking's mathematics?

Frankly its not just about the skills, I am a Dev manager (not ea), many of my team can do different coding types. However businesses are not run like that, businesses are run to make money. You can hate that all you like, it will not change any time in the next few hundred years.

The game producer will be given a set of developers, and a list of work to do by the owner of SWTOR in BW. That owner is judged by how much money the game makes. He doesn't get any leeway, thats his job. He makes $Xm or he is out on his arse.

So they will put the bare minimum on fixes to keep the game working. This is because if you employ a developer you need to get a profit from his work, or some measurable value. The other developers will be put on the CM where that ROI (return on investment is highest). Sad fact of life.

If the Dev manager decides to move his developers to other work, like fixes, the ROI for his team goes down. Guess what happens next? the boss notices and first sacks the dev manager, and next moves those developers to a game that will give more ROI.

TL;DR

Making fixes doesn't make BW money.

The CM makes money.

Companies put resources where there is the greatest ROI.

If enough people left the game because there was a game breaking bug, then they would move resources to that bug. Currently there genuinely aren't any game breakers.

If you do not like this, I recommend you play another game from a company who maybe isn't run like that. Maybe Star CItizen will be the anti-SWTOR who knows. WoW, GW2, TESO are all based on the same principle.

Well thanks for being helpful. At least you guys have some answers. And basically they will let the game fall to ruin before "relocating a developer" to fix some issues here and there? I understand its a money game, and right now the CM is there biggest source of income, but how long will that last? Imagine you have a nice car, and one day you notice your check engine light is on. Instead of spending a little time and money on getting it checked out you decide to buy a new radio because its nice and people think its cool. Next year your car is broke down but your radio is still working although you cant drive your broken car around for people to hear it. And then again im just preaching to the choir here.

Yes but its not like your example at all. It is more like this:

1) I have 500 quid to spend on my bus.

2) I can either spend on some new video system so people can watch tv whilst travelling to work, or I can spend on upgrading my engine, adding new filters, etc. Neither is going to see the car go to rust, I might get some improvements in performance, but nothing to stop things working.

3) When my customers get onto my bus are they more likely to pay if they get the videos or an uprated engine?

Best value for money is in doing those upgrades that people are bothered about and actually make me money.

The fixes you speak of are not breaking the engine, they are annoying, really annoying. But the game will continue to work nonetheless, without a fix to them. You might also want to look up the term technical debt, its a coding term for the reason why they will never change the Hero engine, or go back on fundamental design decisions.

I am going to post a new thread in general tomorrow all about how we get what we want from BW

Yes but its not like your example at all. It is more like this:

1) I have 500 quid to spend on my bus.

2) I can either spend on some new video system so people can watch tv whilst travelling to work, or I can spend on upgrading my engine, adding new filters, etc. Neither is going to see the car go to rust, I might get some improvements in performance, but nothing to stop things working.

3) When my customers get onto my bus are they more likely to pay if they get the videos or an uprated engine?

Best value for money is in doing those upgrades that people are bothered about and actually make me money.

The fixes you speak of are not breaking the engine, they are annoying, really annoying. But the game will continue to work nonetheless, without a fix to them. You might also want to look up the term technical debt, its a coding term for the reason why they will never change the Hero engine, or go back on fundamental design decisions.

I am going to post a new thread in general tomorrow all about how we get what we want from BW

Yes it is really annoying. Such much so that i myself and several other handfuls of people do not spend the extra coin on the CM every month as normal. You can coat your buss in 24k gold and make it very appealing to people but underneath its still just a big ugly bus. So what good are cosmetics and toys if you cant fully enjoy them because some bug prohibits it? I would be willing to pay a little more on my sub every month if it meant they would maintain the game just a little better.

Edited by SupremeOverseer

That may be a different point and actually kind of addresses the issue. The subscription you pay, is I expect to keep the game "going", adding a 10% increase to the sub potentially offers the option to upgrade that capability. If all users would just accept that without any loss of subs BW might consider it. However the uproar on the forums would be deafening I expect. not everyone is as rational.

I am not sure what the yearly sub income but a 10% increase would minimum allow them to bring onboard a couple of developers I expect. I think the figure was something like 200-400k subs? Yearly that probably equates to an income of 30m (with drop offs, etc). Therefore an additional $3m would probably allow them to do significantly more. The community may well be willing to pay this if it could be guaranteed what the improvement would be, most people would rightly be concerned it was a quick cash out..