The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My idea for faction change

So, here's my idea. Make it a Cartel unlocked quest chain, maybe along the same cost of a server change, but make the quest line something fairly intensive -- that way someone just isn't doing it over and over. Something as involved like the HK quests or something like that..... Make it difficult but attainable. Perhaps the storyline could be how someone went from Good to Bad (Jedi to the dark side) or a Bad to good (Sith to light side), etc..

So, here's my idea. Make it a Cartel unlocked quest chain, maybe along the same cost of a server change, but make the quest line something fairly intensive -- that way someone just isn't doing it over and over. Something as involved like the HK quests or something like that..... Make it difficult but attainable. Perhaps the storyline could be how someone went from Good to Bad (Jedi to the dark side) or a Bad to good (Sith to light side), etc..

They already said they can't let it happen. Too much code, scripting items that change graphic via factions, ability animations. (aoes droping imp glowing circle) group coding and unlocking. etc etc. then quest story complications as cinimatics for old content and new refer to a person for X story deeds etc. and they would have to rescript a lot of old content to be applicable to "defected players" COMPANIONS. etc. datacron imbalancing.

Same reason why can't have sex changes either. too much core level scripting done to the player characters to go around it.

Edited by Magnusheart

This is one of those things that would have to have been planned from the beginning to be possible in the code.

It's also a god awful idea. The Pub population on many servers would probably dry up almost immediately. Faction population would swing wildly in either direction. It would wreak havoc on the servers pops.

I must have missed the explanation earlier -- thanks for that.

And you're right -- it WOULD probably be a bad idea.. If it were possible, it would have to be very well thought out. Maybe one per account, etc... Who knows.. But it sounds like this is all moot anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a couple of classes that would work for changing sides, or even playing both sides. For example, Imperial Agent already has run missions for SIS. And the Smuggler and Bounty Hunter could theoretically take jobs from either side. Other classes would be harder to do.

I would say that the class stories would be too much to change to make this possible. So I agree that is probably not feasible.

However, the missions that you can do over and over again daily, and some of the heroics could easily be modified to allow additional classes to play them. Some might not even need to be modified, other than allowing additional classes, since the dialog is already pretty generic.

So you could theoretically open up select Republic dailies to an Imperial Agent without much fuss. The agent is acting as an SIS operative at that point anyway. Or open up select Imperial dailies to Republic players.

You could make the triangle above these NPCs a different color (red for Imperial or blue for Republic) so it is obvious that you are playing for the other side. Your companions may or may not like that. And there probably should be an unlock before this becomes available to you.

So it can be done, just not on a grand scale.