New to GSF; tips tricks and general help

ahnialatorg

So ive been playing for a while (ive got the two starter ships, the strike fighter and the scout, and bought the first gunship) and ive gotten to the point where i'm noticing people with ridiculously overpowered scout fighters. For example, im just cruising along, gunning people down when all of the sudden PEWPEW black lasers come out of nowhere and kill me with two hits. first, what ship is this and second, where can i get me some of this?

It's upgrades. You can use blaster overcharge along with burst lasers to really do some exquisite damage up close. There are other copilot abilities that really help your offensive capabilities. Hit ctrl-P, Starfighter tab and click to enable the detailed tooltips. Go look around your hangar at both the components as well as copilots. If you take some time, you can figure out which will be best for what you want to do and you can get to building your ship the way you like.

There are a lot of combinations for each ship type, and different ships do different things in each type. Look around there and you'll start getting a better feel for what stuff does as it levels and how you want to build. The most-important thing is to build something you'll be effective flying, not something someone else has made their living on.

Edited by Degarmo

The scout is probably the Flashfire (5000 fleet req) using burst cannons at close range. Blaster Overcharge will increase your rate of fire which gives you more burst. I personally like using Targeting Telemetry in death match for the extra accuracy and evasion debuff. I believe every ship has the weaponry to burst someone down. You just need to know what the optimal situation is for each weapon and find what fits your play style. Edited by okiobe