Map Icons

Kaivers

The new map icons (arrows) for fighters. Does it balance things out by allowing other fighters to see where Gunships are directing their attention and vice versa OR does it heavily favor Gunship's by increasing their situational awareness, thereby allowing them to easily determine which attacks are incoming?

It increases the amount of tactical data available.

This data was already available in a sense -- you could tell which way someone was facing (relative to you) by selecting them and looking at your targeting computer.

The truly new information available on the map is the direction your allies are facing.

However, knowing which way people are facing is not the same as knowing which way they are going. This must be observed over a period of time, which has not changed since before the patch.

It increases the amount of tactical data available.

The truly new information available on the map is the direction your allies are facing.

I was extremely grateful for this until I realized the other side can see the exact same thing.

I was extremely grateful for this until I realized the other side can see the exact same thing.

Exactly. In short, it favors players who can most quickly absorb, analyze, and make use of this information. I'm not yet convinced this is any more advantageous in one ship class than it would be in another.

Exactly. In short, it favors players who can most quickly absorb, analyze, and make use of this information. I'm not yet convinced this is any more advantageous in one ship class than it would be in another.

IMO, it kind of takes away the element of surprise when its so obvious which direction your enemy is facing. I use Gunships as an example because their role/play style provides the pilot more opportunities to observe the map and process the information.