Why is the damage output of Quad Lasers so inferior to Burst Laser ?

Mikla

Just to clarify I'm basing the question on my experience in the flash fire using tier 4 versions of quads and burst laser. The difference is chalk and cheese. Try it, a sustained burst with quads seems inconsequential compared to a sustained burst of the BLC.

But there are so many factors to consider:

range to target

evasion of target

armor of target (vs armor "pen" of gun)

tracking penalty/accuracy of gun

CDs used (both offensive AND defensive)

crit chance (extra surge from TT?)

If you are merely talking about the numbers that fly over the enemy when you score a hit the biggest factor is range for those 2 weapons. Lack of a testing environment is frustrating!

I actually wonder if the DPS numbers take accuracy into account for the changes to range.

I'd like to see something a little more basic in game terms instead. Like rate of fire listing the time delay between "attacks" and damage output listing the damage for a hit at that range. Sort of like Quads delay = .333 and damage at 3000m = 320, then I could say that at the most I could get 960 in 1 second, where as the burst is delay = 1.5 and damage = 1230 so the DPS is 820 but it is FRONT LOADED. (please note those numbers were totally made up for illustration only)

Burst Cannons are WAY OP...

I've tried all the laser cannons except ion and light laser. Maxed BLC can routinely kill scouts in 2-3 hits. In the same amount of time it takes me to get 3 hits with BLC, I've unloaded on them with other weapon types and barely gotten the hull down. I've 3 shot so many people with BLC in no time. While Rapid fire, Quads, and even heavies (at distance) take longer. I absolutely hate BLC because they are so OP, but I've finally swapped to them from quads because it isn't worth it. A person flying straight at the same distance should not take extraordinarily longer to kill people than with anything other than burst.

If I were to nerf them, I would swap the tracking penalty and firing arc with rapid. That would make rapids more useful and barely nerf BLC so that they aren't so OP in actual gameplay by experienced pilots.

Edited by sentawan

I'd like to see something a little more basic in game terms instead. Like rate of fire listing the time delay between "attacks" and damage output listing the damage for a hit at that range. Sort of like Quads delay = .333 and damage at 3000m = 320, then I could say that at the most I could get 960 in 1 second, where as the burst is delay = 1.5 and damage = 1230 so the DPS is 820 but it is FRONT LOADED. (please note those numbers were totally made up for illustration only)

Weapon fire delay (sec) = 60 / RPMS

I fly a mastered evasion Sting with Quads and camp sats a lot. Quads can get the job done quickly against anyone with overcharge and bypass. Burst does it much faster and seems to be much more forgiving on the aim as well but there is enough give and take in the range modifiers to make them both good choices in my book.

I find my self luring in the burst pilots because they are over confident and they don't fear quads. I shoot them from range and then when they get close I park on the sat and track them with my max turn radius. They fly to me and stop and I pop max evasion + over charge + bypass and we burn on each other. most of the time they think they will win till the fireball some times they do but only if they pop there evasion too and most don't cause in there minds burst beats quads.