Nefra with 3 tanks

Nope, a SM run revealed this a while back. Nefra targets the two closest for the damage splitting, and in SM you get an icon around your character as one of our marauders learned the hard way after avoiding a droid and wandering in front of Nefra. These icons are not present in HM but the functionality remains.

I don't know if you are having issues with him or were just curious, but if you are having issues you can use three healers(2 healers and an off healer) to fight him. Makes it so much easier and as long as the dps do their stuff you'll be fine. He goes down quick.

We love changing up composition for odd solutions to bosses too and considered this. While we never tried it, we estimated it would probably be possible to have a triangle taunt move keeping Nefra moving a lot. However, without actually seeing it we don't know the repercussions of that change. If you try it I'd love to hear from you.

Does using 3 tanks reduce the damage taken further?

Having three will not split the damage between them, but, having three does allow for more defensive cooldowns in the duration of the fight. Unless this is 16-man though, I really don't recommend that you play with your group composition that like. Tanks use defensives intelligently, DPS kill it as quickly as possible to not strain the healers, healers... well, heal.