Future of Quests

Sthorminator

So SWTOR managed to get virtually every quest voiced, not only NPCs but PCs as well. That is awesome, I have yet to find some company that put as much quality in voicing than Bioware. But is that good or bad for SWTOR? A MMO needs to expand, actively, and let's say this one last at least 10 years. That sure is glorious, but I suppose we would get increased level cap and more story...and what about the voices? It is merely a curiousity.

Sure we can get new NPCs but what about the PCs? Voices are very unique and when Bioware needs that voice actor to give life to an Agent again, they find out:

* Sorry I am busy in an other project.

* Sorry, the person you are looking for passed away.

* Sorry, I've actually changed gender.

How good or bad is SWTOR dependancy on Voices? Would you accept your character with a new voice?

So SWTOR managed to get virtually every quest voiced, not only NPCs but PCs as well. That is awesome, I have yet to find some company that put as much quality in voicing than Bioware. But is that good or bad for SWTOR? A MMO needs to expand, actively, and let's say this one last at least 10 years. That sure is glorious, but I suppose we would get increased level cap and more story...and what about the voices? It is merely a curiousity.

Sure we can get new NPCs but what about the PCs? Voices are very unique and when Bioware needs that voice actor to give life to an Agent again, they find out:

* Sorry I am busy in an other project.

* Sorry, the person you are looking for passed away.

* Sorry, I've actually changed gender.

How good or bad is SWTOR dependancy on Voices? Would you accept your character with a new voice?

Absolute worst case scenario, they get a sound-alike the same way countless cartoons do.

Not that likely to come to it though, given that with a video game like this there's plenty of lead time in the development cycle between when the dialogue would likely be scripted and when the final product is released. All of the voice actors are certainly under some form of retainer contract for at least a few years, and potentially for the life of the game.

Even without such a contract, a quick look at most voice actors' IMDB profiles or personal websites will show that they tend to work multiple gigs concurrently or back-to-back-to-back. Unless you're a main cast member on the Simpsons, you're probably not turning down work when it's offered.

Edited by DarthDymond

Absolute worst case scenario, they get a sound-alike the same way countless cartoons do.

Not that likely to come to it though, given that with a video game like this there's plenty of lead time in the development cycle between when the dialogue would likely be scripted and when the final product is released. All of the voice actors are certainly under some form of retainer contract for at least a few years, and potentially for the life of the game.

Even without such a contract, a quick look at most voice actors' IMDB profiles or personal websites will show that they tend to work multiple gigs concurrently or back-to-back-to-back. Unless you're a main cast member on the Simpsons, you're probably not turning down work when it's offered.

Both Dan Castellaneta, who voices Homer, his dad, the Mayor and countless others, as well as Hank Azaria, who voices Chief Wiggam, Moe and Apu among countless others too, have prolific careers outside the Simpsons.