Question on Distortion Shield on Gunship

tintin_milou

Hi everyone, I have played a few matches in GSF, on a gunship, and still a noob! :p

I fully upgraded the Distortion Shield on my Gunship and thought that when activated the Distortion Shield would prevent enemy having a missile lock on me. But in several battles, when I activated the Distortion Shield, the missile lock warning still flashed on my screen.

So, am I interpreting the Distortion Shield upgrade incorrectly? Or did the enemy fighter upgrade its ability to negate my Distortion Shield? Thanks for your help! :D

Oh here is a related question: if I now acquire and upgrade Fortress Shield, what will happen to my Distortion Shield? Will my Distortion Shield upgrades be wasted then? :confused:

I fully upgraded the Distortion Shield on my Gunship and thought that when activated the Distortion Shield would prevent enemy having a missile lock on me. But in several battles, when I activated the Distortion Shield, the missile lock warning still flashed on my screen.

It does break lock, but only for 3 seconds. If there is a missile warning, you use distortion, and the warning doesn't go away, its probably because of lag, it did happen to me a few times.

However, make sure you actually have the missile-lock-break enabled. The final upgrade of distortion field gives two abilities: increases distortion field duration from 3 seconds to 6, OR breaks missile lock on activation. You have to choose one or the other, not both at once(you can switch freely between them outside of a match).

Oh here is a related question: if I now acquire and upgrade Fortress Shield, what will happen to my Distortion Shield? Will my Distortion Shield upgrades be wasted then? :confused:

You can switch between components at will while outside of a match. You can choose fortress, but then your upgraded distortion shield will have no effect until you re-equip it again.

Edited by Sharee

I think I read on the forums somewhere that lock-breaking abilities let the animation continue, the missile will actually hit you but it won't do any damage. I haven't noticed this in the heat of combat TBH but maybe it's the case for short range missile strikes...

Regarding your related question, your upgrades aren't wasted as you can always switch back to your upgraded Distortion Field if you don't like your new shield. You will merely need to "grind" out the upgrades for the new shield as well (and you could easily do this by continuing to use your fully upgraded Distortion Field until your shield of choice is upgraded enough)!

Also... If you're close to objects try breaking LoS by weaving between them and save your evasive maneuver if possible! :D

It does break lock, but only for 3 seconds. If there is a missile warning, you use distortion, and the warning doesn't go away, its probably because of lag, it did happen to me a few times.

However, make sure you actually have the missile-lock-break enabled. The final upgrade of distortion field gives two abilities: increases distortion field duration from 3 seconds to 6, OR breaks missile lock on activation. You have to choose one or the other, not both at once(you can switch freely between them outside of a match).

You can switch between components at will while outside of a match. You can choose fortress, but then your upgraded distortion shield will have no effect until you re-equip it again.

Wow thanks so much for your clarification! :D I am such a noob, thinking I would get both the duration and missile lock upgrades! :p

Also, much thanks to Kuciwalker for recommending the duration choice for the Distortion Shield upgrade! :)

Edited by tintin_milou