The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The BattleZone Winner's Bracket Match 1: Asajj Ventress vs. Shaak Ti

Aurbere

I'm really starting to doubt this whole "Really calm, impenetrable to Dun Moch" thing.

Something that is canonically stated to be something she controls a lot better later on in life, which is why she went from headstrong Jedi Knight to a wise Jedi Master.

Those bouts of depression didn't last for long in her life.

Also as far as her unique saber shape goes, that is precisely where the idea of them both getting cut in the abdomen came from in my scenario, because the angles were off, neither of them could correctly anticipate the angles of the blades and both took injuries from it.

Also, I think this idea that she was heavily drawing on Felucia is being pretty over-blown, not once in the novel does it state that she directly draws off of the planet for power nor does it even act like an actual Force Nexus.

Unless something specifically states that she was heavily drawing on Felucia in her battle then I think that is nothing more than speculation, would it add to her Force reserves? certainly, but to make the claim that she was actually empowered by the planet is a very different ball game.

Adding to her Force Energy reserves is certainly a possibility, but there is only one ability she uses that drastically drains on her Force Power in the first place and that is Kinetite, all the rest is something that doesn't tire her out drastically by any means.

Oh and just to make the General Grievous comparison quite clear, it is stated emphatically in his profiles in numerous sources that the reason he proves less effective in combat against others later on is because he was basically figured out, when he first arrived on the scene he bull-dozed everyone and could practically stomp almost anybody because he was unpredictable and his style was like nothing ever seen.

However once the war dragged on this proved less and less effective as others realised how and in what way he fought others, this is something they could adapt to whereas he could only carry on using what Dooku taught him so long ago.

Shaak Ti herself shows a marked improvement in her attempts to beat the Cyborg Kaleesh during the Battle of Coruscant compared to the first time she engages him after fighting for days on end.

So that comparison is quite flawed.

Edited by LadyKulvax

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that is canonically stated to be something she controls a lot better later on in life, which is why she went from headstrong Jedi Knight to a wise Jedi Master.

Those bouts of depression didn't last for long in her life.

Got any quotes? The words "Throughout her life" make me doubt that.

Also as far as her unique saber shape goes, that is precisely where the idea of them both getting cut in the abdomen came from in my scenario, because the angles were off, neither of them could correctly anticipate the angles of the blades and both took injuries from it.

Ventress wouldn't be caught off guard though, she'd be used to it.

Also, I think this idea that she was heavily drawing on Felucia is being pretty over-blown, not once in the novel does it state that she directly draws off of the planet for power nor does it even act like an actual Force Nexus.

Graphic Novel "Even with an entire planet at her disposal"

Directly saying she's drawing on felucia.

Adding to her Force Energy reserves is certainly a possibility, but there is only one ability she uses that drastically drains on her Force Power in the first place and that is Kinetite, all the rest is something that doesn't tire her out drastically by any means.

She used the force to make her faster, more agile, and more durable. The more force she has, the more she can do that.

Shaak Ti herself shows a marked improvement in her attempts to beat the Cyborg Kaleesh during the Battle of Coruscant compared to the first time she engages him after fighting for days on end.

So that comparison is quite flawed.

She still did pretty bad during the battle of Coruscant.

I'd also say, Ti lost to General Grevious, barely survived... Ventress beat him... Now people say Grevious wasn't trying, but lol no, he tried. He'd fought Ventress before, and the only way he beat her was power strikes, however by the end of her days, like I've said, she'd grown too strong to be overwhelmed by power strikes, which I why I don't think Ti's power strikes will make any difference here.
Got a source for that? I don't recall Grievous ever beating anyone purely through power strikes, it does not play well into his style. On the other hand I think its quite clear Grievous was not fighting effectively.

Taken from my in-depth on Grievous:

==================================================

For those who are interested, I'd like to elaborate on the effects of overconfidence on Grievous' style.

To do so we should observe the following videos:

Here, in his duel against Jedi Master and Council Member Eeth Koth he uses a series of intricate attacks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VHkNU8whzc&t=1m25s

And here against Kit Fisto he does the same:

Yet here, against Sith Acolyte and 'underling' Asajj Ventress his attacks are notably more sloppy, to the point where he forgoes all aspects of his refined technique and engages in an all-out slugging match:

And of course, the infamous Gungan Encounter... just look at those arms:

The contrast is nothing short of shocking. Notice how in the first two Grievous not only constantly rotates his body and limbs and altogether applies his full capabilities, and attacks multiple zones in rapid succession, yet in the second two applies the same slashing attacks again and again, making no effort to utitlise the advantage of unorthodoxy and willing castrating himself purely out of arrogance. Heck, even his whirly blade of doom move looks notably more sloppy when applied against Ventress in comparison to Fisto. And it is clear that he underestimated both Ventress and the Gungans:

"I've always been greater than you!"

"[Laughing] [More Laughing] You can't be serious!"

Whereas against highly skilled Jedi Council members, he has reasons to go all out. Its certainly a damning weakness of Grievous' and its effect should not be underestimated. In full fighting shape he would have likely massacred the Gungans, and his engagement with Ventress would have at least been significantly longer.

==================================================

The evidence is quite plain, we can't simply dismiss the differences in style without explanation. And as Lady mentioned Ventress of all people would have been prepared for his unorthodoxy, not that he used it...

Got any quotes? The words "Throughout her life" make me doubt that.

"The Togruta suffered emotional breakdowns for many years of her life, however Master Yoda taught her in the ways of deep meditation, this allowed her to maintain a strong control over her emotions, allowing her to easily bottle up and then vent her Togruta urges with a physical partner." - The Clone Wars Campaign Guide.

Clearly she uses sexual engagements every year or so to remove any lingering emotions, hell this is even hinted at in the TFU CG as something she was forced to do with Maris Brood, though:

"Her years of isolation after Order 66, broke her mental control over her emotions and the Jedi almost brokedown completely, if not for the intervention of her new charge."

I am not entirely sure that means what has been suggested in previous CGs, but I guess it makes sense.

Ventress wouldn't be caught off guard though, she'd be used to it.

She was surprised by the attack itself and couldn't control what she didn't know was happening.

Graphic Novel "Even with an entire planet at her disposal"

Directly saying she's drawing on felucia.

You are however directly assuming that she is being empowered by the planet directly, she is able to draw on the life energies of planets to enhance her Force reserves, if this was a direct empowerment like a Force Nexus she'd have stomped Galen Marek with ease, an entire planet as a Force Nexus empowering you heavily is a marked change from drawing on the life energies to sustain her Force reserves.

As I stated earlier, not once in her fight does she use something that heavily draws on her Force energy besides Kinetite and she seemed just fine carrying on, especially given that she continues to use heavy duty Force powers directly afterwards.

She used the force to make her faster, more agile, and more durable. The more force she has, the more she can do that.

You assume she needs more Force reserves to do any of this, you would be wrong, as she has done exactly this on a regular basis throughout the Clone Wars without tiring, which is why she-unlike any other Jedi Master-was credited with the ability to 'fight a marathon', she doesn't need a planet's life energy to do so.

She still did pretty bad during the battle of Coruscant.

Erm no she didn't, not only did she outwit and successfully defend against Grievous multiple times but she also fought dozens of Magna Guards successfully and out-matched them all, that isn't doing 'pretty bad' at all.

Edited by LadyKulvax

"The Togruta suffered emotional breakdowns for many years of her life, however Master Yoda taught her in the ways of deep meditation, this allowed her to maintain a strong control over her emotions, allowing her to easily bottle up and then vent her Togruta urges with a physical partner." - The Clone Wars Campaign Guide.

Clearly she uses sexual engagements every year or so to remove any lingering emotions, hell this is even hinted at in the TFU CG as something she was forced to do with Maris Brood, though:

"Her years of isolation after Order 66, broke her mental control over her emotions and the Jedi almost brokedown completely, if not for the intervention of her new charge."

I am not entirely sure that means what has been suggested in previous CGs, but I guess it makes sense.

She was surprised by the attack itself and couldn't control what she didn't know was happening.

You are however directly assuming that she is being empowered by the planet directly, she is able to draw on the life energies of planets to enhance her Force reserves, if this was a direct empowerment like a Force Nexus she'd have stomped Galen Marek with ease, an entire planet as a Force Nexus empowering you heavily is a marked change from drawing on the life energies to sustain her Force reserves.

As I stated earlier, not once in her fight does she use something that heavily draws on her Force energy besides Kinetite and she seemed just fine carring.

You assume she needs more Force reserves to do any of this, you would be wrong, as she has done exactly this on a regular basis throughout the Clone Wars without tiring, which is why she-unlike any other Jedi Master-was credited with the ability to 'fight a marathon', she doesn't need a planet's life energy to do so.

Erm no she didn't, not only did she outwit and successfully defend against Grievous multiple times but she also fought dozens of Magna Guards successfully and out-matched them all, that isn't doing 'pretty bad' at all.

Just to add to this by the time she "lost" to Greivous she was already completely exhausted, unable to likely feel many of her limbs after taking blows from the staffs. She would have needed the force to even stand up let alone fight, and against Grievous you need more then the ability to stand to win.

I am not entirely sure that means what has been suggested in previous CGs, but I guess it makes sense

...I don't even.

Maybe Ventress could try to seduce Shaak Ti in a last ditch attempt?

...I don't even.

Maybe Ventress could try to seduce Shaak Ti in a last ditch attempt?

Considering the only other person that knew was the person that allowed it: Yoda, I don't see how Ventress could find out.

We must also consider that if she survived years upon years of bottling up her emotions then being with Maris Brood would have removed any of her needs.

Got a source for that? I don't recall Grievous ever beating anyone purely through power strikes, it does not play well into his style. On the other hand I think its quite clear Grievous was not fighting effectively.

Ventress, Durge, and Grevious all fought for control over the Seperatist armies aboard a space station, Ventress and durge teamed up, but Grevious dispatched Durge easily, and then powered his way through Ventress' defenses.

And come on, each episode is choreographed and written by different people, to allow faster production times. Ventress and Grevious fight in the Same sloppy way, and it's not something ventress usually does either. I'd put it down to artistic choice, seeing as they both do it.

Just to add to this by the time she "lost" to Greivous she was already completely exhausted, unable to likely feel many of her limbs after taking blows from the staffs. She would have needed the force to even stand up let alone fight, and against Grievous you need more then the ability to stand to win.

Well, apparently she's fought Marathon Lightsaber duels (heard the quote before, can't remember where) so how she's tired by a 5 minute battle (of which we saw the entire sequence) I have no Idea.

O_O

Ooohhhhh***kkaaaaayyyy......

I still think she was unstable, even if she managed to control most of it.

As I stated earlier, not once in her fight does she use something that heavily draws on her Force energy besides Kinetite and she seemed just fine carrying on, especially given that she continues to use heavy duty Force powers directly afterwards.

She has only ever used Kinetite on Felucia, and when someone of Vader's telekinetic ability can barely use it, that shows how much Ti must have been drawing on the planet.

And again, the phrase "Even with an entire planet at her disposal" comes during a scene when Ti is using the force to Attack Starkiller, so again, seems pretty obvious to me that she's drawing on the force.

Fighting a marathon and fighting an eternal sprint are two different things. Many Jedi and Sith have dueled for days, it's not a massive feat, what is something to note is the fact that she managed to sustain a constant physical assault, I haven't seen her do anything that impressive before.

She fought off Magna Guards, barely. They ended up leaving her alone because they were only told to stall her.

However when she faced Grevious one on One, she was dispatched in seconds.

You could put that down to tiredness, but apparently, she doesn't get tired.

Ventress, Durge, and Grevious all fought for control over the Seperatist armies aboard a space station, Ventress and durge teamed up, but Grevious dispatched Durge easily, and then powered his way through Ventress' defenses.

And come on, each episode is choreographed and written by different people, to allow faster production times. Ventress and Grevious fight in the Same sloppy way, and it's not something ventress usually does either. I'd put it down to artistic choice, seeing as they both do it.

Which, if the case, would only prove that Ventress has become skilled enough to defend against Grievous' most basic of attacks. Which makes sense on two accounts as 1. Ventress has improved and 2. Grievous would have underestimated her just the same there. Which in turn would give him reason to underestimate her in this situation.

Bringing an out of universe perspective into this doesn't help your case. The fact of the matter is his attacks were sloppy and devoid of any unorthodoxy or zone variation, which would have made him far easier for Ventress to exploit.

She did not experience the full force of his capabilities as Shaak Ti did, or lack prior knowledge of his technique.

But if you think the choreography was just a mistake, then your being willfully blind. Grievous' lightsaber technique has been standardized across the series, it never varies, accept against the Gungans and Ventress. Go figure.

O_O

Ooohhhhh***kkaaaaayyyy......

I still think she was unstable, even if she managed to control most of it.

Considering that she was made a Jedi Master because she was able to control her emotions so effectively states otherwise, she has shown on multiple occasions that she can keep a level head almost any time.

The fact she had such a strong connection to Maris Brood might be why she was so keen on sacrificing herself to save Brood from Vader's relentless hunting.

She has only ever used Kinetite on Felucia, and when someone of Vader's telekinetic ability can barely use it, that shows how much Ti must have been drawing on the planet.

And again, the phrase "Even with an entire planet at her disposal" comes during a scene when Ti is using the force to Attack Starkiller, so again, seems pretty obvious to me that she's drawing on the force.

Actually she used it during the Clone Wars regularly when the occasion called for it, according to both the TCW and TFU campaign guides.

"Though she was an expertly effective lightsaber master, her most dangerous ability came in the form of balls of lightning, a variation of Kinetite. Master Ti used this as a form of release, allowing her continuous Force Bolster technique to continue unabated without fear of a physical over-load."

Can't find the other quote but I'll look again later.

However I would point out the only time Vader was able to use Kinetite was with the Kaiburr crystal and without it he suffers from the same inability to use it as he does Force Lightning.

Fighting a marathon and fighting an eternal sprint are two different things. Many Jedi and Sith have dueled for days, it's not a massive feat, what is something to note is the fact that she managed to sustain a constant physical assault, I haven't seen her do anything that impressive before.

She's done this at least two other times actually, both times in the initial Battle of Geonosis, alongside Unduli they fought off over 78 Battle Droids single-handedly, a famous feat among the Jedi before being circled up into the group.

The second time was when leading her own Clones into battle, they got the worst of it and Ti fought off what was an entire battalion of droids almost single-handedly whilst defending the injured clones that were under her command, then they were rescued by Master Koon's own strike force.

She fought off Magna Guards, barely. They ended up leaving her alone because they were only told to stall her.

However when she faced Grevious one on One, she was dispatched in seconds.

You could put that down to tiredness, but apparently, she doesn't get tired.

Actually she completely out-fought the Magna Guards, not only did she over power one, she managed to pikelock all of them with one hand each and also kept them at bay until they were given orders to leave, Force Bolster can only do so much, so going straight to Grievous right afterwards was likely the straw that broke the camel's back, not to mention the sole fact that Grievous was still highly unpredictable and as Beni states, I am still not convinced he went all out against Ventress.

Whilst I think that Ventress might be able to best him I still don't think it would have been anywhere near that easy.

Edited by LadyKulvax

Which, if the case, would only prove that Ventress has become skilled enough to defend against Grievous' most basic of attacks. Which makes sense on two accounts as 1. Ventress has improved and 2. Grievous would have underestimated her just the same there. Which in turn would give him reason to underestimate her in this situation.

Bringing an out of universe perspective into this doesn't help your case. The fact of the matter is his attacks were sloppy and devoid of any unorthodoxy or zone variation, which would have made him far easier for Ventress to exploit.

She did not experience the full force of his capabilities as Shaak Ti did, or lack prior knowledge of his technique.

But if you think the choreography was just a mistake, then your being willfully blind. Grievous' lightsaber technique has been standardized across the series, it never varies, accept against the Gungans and Ventress. Go figure.

You're remembering this fight with rose tinted vision Beni.

His style started the exact same as it always does, he did the usual lunges, parries and kicks, until they entered a blade lock. Ventress matched his strength, and he fell back on a technique he originally used to defeat her. She countered with the strength shed gained over he changing and matched his power with her own, disarming him and ending the duel.

It makes total sense, you're just refusing to see it.

Kulvax I'll reply to you shortly, hard to do off my phone.

You're remembering this fight with rose tinted vision Beni.

His style started the exact same as it always does, he did the usual lunges, parries and kicks, until they entered a blade lock. Ventress matched his strength, and he fell back on a technique he originally used to defeat her. She countered with the strength shed gained over he changing and matched his power with her own, disarming him and ending the duel.

It makes total sense, you're just refusing to see it.

Kulvax I'll reply to you shortly, hard to do off my phone.

We are missing the point here, Ventress matched his strength, not the full force of his style.

Regardless I don't think this theory bears weigh under scrutiny. If Ventress matched his strength in this way then why would Grievous fall back on strengh-orientated tactics in an attempt to overwhelm her? That seems counter-intuitive.

But really, the style is not exactly the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VHkNU8whzc&t=1m25s

How are these exactly the same? Or even similar? Where is the zone variation, where are the rotating limbs? Where is the unorthodoxy? There is nothing unorthodox about using the same attack again and again.

I mean really, if this is how Grievous performed in all his fights - he'd just be a clunky droid with lightsabers.

Well, apparently she's fought Marathon Lightsaber duels (heard the quote before, can't remember where) so how she's tired by a 5 minute battle (of which we saw the entire sequence) I have no Idea.

You continually make the grand mistake of assuming you saw EVERY moment of EVERY fight. She was running. They cut to other portions of the fight several times. There is a HEAVY chance that we didnt see everything. And fighting a "Marathon" isnt discriptive of time. 5 minutes IS a long time to fight when you consider many ataru users can end a fight in under a minute.

You continually make the grand mistake of assuming you saw EVERY moment of EVERY fight. She was running. They cut to other portions of the fight several times. There is a HEAVY chance that we didnt see everything. And fighting a "Marathon" isnt discriptive of time. 5 minutes IS a long time to fight when you consider many ataru users can end a fight in under a minute.

We saw the entire length of the fight, evening not from every angle. That part is obvious.

In fact, there are quotes saying the battle of Coruscant lasted mere hours (though not sure f they've been overridden) and the capture itself was a minuscule portion of that.

Ti was also likely fighting in Makashi, she was never on the offensive, like, at all. So the assumption that she was tired is again, very flawed.

We saw the entire length of the fight, evening not from every angle. That part is obvious.

In fact, there are quotes saying the battle of Coruscant lasted mere hours (though not sure f they've been overridden) and the capture itself was a minuscule portion of that.

Ti was also likely fighting in Makashi, she was never on the offensive, like, at all. So the assumption that she was tired is again, very flawed.

You DIDNT see the whole fight. You are wrong. 5 Minutes with dozens to 1 odds is enough to exhaust some one. Just think about it for more then 5 seconds. She got hit by stun batons which most would drop from a single strike immidiately or at least be un-able to use the limb that was hit. Think a Tazer go ahead get hit by a Tazer and keep fighting.... good luck. She was EXHAUSTED period, end of story, bye bye now, Cya later. If you cant see that by the end of it your blind go get your eyes checked.

You DIDNT see the whole fight. You are wrong. 5 Minutes with dozens to 1 odds is enough to exhaust some one. Just think about it for more then 5 seconds. She got hit by stun batons which most would drop from a single strike immidiately or at least be un-able to use the limb that was hit. Think a Tazer go ahead get hit by a Tazer and keep fighting.... good luck. She was EXHAUSTED period, end of story, bye bye now, Cya later. If you cant see that by the end of it your blind go get your eyes checked.

Still completely missing the point.

Shocker :rolleyes:

Let's spell this out as clear as possible.

SHE. WAS. NOT. TIRED.

Getting hit from a stun baton for a Jedi is nothing, their force aura/barriers protect from any kind of attack. there's reasons Ventress has managed to survive being thrown off a coruscanti Skyscraper.

Hell, Ti has used Tutaminis to block the energy of a LIGHTSABER. Sure, she failed to stop the kinetic force, but that effectively means those stun batons from Magna Guards were like being hit with a stick.

I can imagine the force speed tiring her out a little, if she wasn't said to be able to "regenerate her force reserves using ambient force energy from life around her" and on a world with over 1 trillion inhabitants.

Looks like you need to get your eyes checked.

Or you need to rewatch the episode.

Someone who has enough power left to easily use tutaminis, stopping an electro net from electrocuting and killing her, clearly isn't tired.

Perhaps if you could actually come up with an argument, instead of "you're wrong. Cause I said so. deal with it"I might take you seriously.

Or you need to rewatch the episode.

Someone who has enough power left to easily use tutaminis, stopping an electro net from electrocuting and killing her, clearly isn't tired.

Perhaps if you could actually come up with an argument, instead of "you're wrong. Cause I said so. deal with it"I might take you seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3MlyOuSgaQ 54:25 you can see that the blow of the electro staff clearly electrifies her body, her cloths are in tatters and later on in the episode you can see her STRAINING to run as fast as she can just to get to greivous. I have no need to watch the episode again. You do, there is no reason to animate some one in such a manner (cloths tattered, out of breath or STRAINING for anything) and not have the intent for them to be exhausted by the end of it.

Like i said either you need to watch the episode again.... or your in for a check up at your local optometrist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3MlyOuSgaQ 54:25 you can see that the blow of the electro staff clearly electrifies her body, her cloths are in tatters and later on in the episode you can see her STRAINING to run as fast as she can just to get to greivous. I have no need to watch the episode again. You do, there is no reason to animate some one in such a manner (cloths tattered, out of breath or STRAINING for anything) and not have the intent for them to be exhausted by the end of it.

Like i said either you need to watch the episode again.... or your in for a check up at your local optometrist.

Clothes mean nothing.

The first blow electrifies her, the others don't, she clearly learnt to repel the electricity.

You can see the other electricity strikes coursing around her body, as if it's being forced off her body and looking for a way to earth itself. That means she's used tutaminis to stop it from electrifying her.

Also, she's straining, trying to run faster, not trying to run.