The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Gear question

Draknalor

Hi

the gear that is bought in the cartel market, how is that gear better? it dosen't have any stats O-o and aren't there gear with stats AND mod/armoring "sockets"? so woulden't that make the cartel items very inferior?

Or am i getting this wrong?

Cartel Market gear is not better in any statistical sense (most of the equipment is orange/custom quality and therefore have no stats at all until you insert item modifications. It is better in that it grants the player the ability to give his/her character an appearance they want. If you do not care about such things then there is no reason to buy CM gear. Edited by psandak

You buy Cartel Market gear because you like the look. It comes as a blank slate. You stat it up by inserting armour, mods, enhancements and augments (if you want) into it. With all the slots filled they are just as good as any other orange-quality outfits that drop during gameplay or are buyable from in-game vendors.

The exceptions are those few level 31 outfits that come fully modded. They are off-the-peg, straight-into-action outfits if you are the right level for them.

Edited by PLynkes

Actually, some of them do have base stat bonuses. A Lightsaber with identical modifications & augments compared to a Cathar Honour Sword does less damage by a few digits x) Noticed that on my Guardian, the Sword gave about a 20 dmg bonus it seemed to the min Pri & a but to the max as well.

Meh :( wanted some sort of "twink" gear, like heirlooms in wow, something that get's better as you level,

Did pick up crew skill that makes mod and armoring so i could keep them kinda uptodate, but i guess that's the most "twink" i can get out of the game when you don't have any credits for AH

Meh :( wanted some sort of "twink" gear, like heirlooms in wow, something that get's better as you level,

Did pick up crew skill that makes mod and armoring so i could keep them kinda uptodate, but i guess that's the most "twink" i can get out of the game when you don't have any credits for AH

A full set of orange gear, w/ blue mods that you keep up-to-date, is generally the best way to "twink" your alts. You can buy adaptive gear from the Cartel Market for this purpose, and then send the mods over separate, as long as the mods are not already bound.

The "best" option (although it doesn't give you as big of a variety in appearances) is Bind-on-Legacy (BoL) gear, which is orange adaptive gear usually purchased from Reputation Vendors. The advantage of this gear over the standard adaptive gear from the Cartel Market is that you can mail it between characters in your Legacy even if it contains mods that are bound to one character (mostly relevant with end-game gear). So if you have some extra Elite Comms on your main, you can buy a piece of 72 gear, rip the mods (which are automatically bound to that character), put them in a piece of BoL gear, and mail it to an alt. This is especially helpful for gearing alts for end-game content, since it allows you skip part of the gear progession.

There is also Birthright and Inheritance Gear (usually found as a purple drop, although a slightly different purple than normal), which are meant for Levels 14 and 31, that you can get and send over to an alt, but those are relics from before the Cartel Market and the increased availability of Bind-on-Legacy orange gear. Since they don't have mods that can be swapped out, they are only good for a few levels before they become outdated, so most people don't bother with them.