Question about this Sharpshooter PVE Build

OMGRandyJackson

Ive played TOR on and off since launch but Ive never been very serious. Mostly playing storyline type stuff with few dabbles into ops.

Until now.

However I not only want to do ops, I want to be good at ops. Therefor I want to maximize my rotation and provide max dps as I can.

I came across this build http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/smuggler/gunslinger/sharpshooter/rotation-and-cooldowns and had a few quick questions:

First off is this a decent build? And second what are burst cooldowns? It does not really say when to activate them so am I correct to assume that as soon as the cool down for that ability is done I use it? For example illegal mods cool down is 2 minutes. When I first engage do I use it right away? Then when the 2 minutes is up do I immediately activate again no matter where I am in my roto?

Thanks.

Ive played TOR on and off since launch but Ive never been very serious. Mostly playing storyline type stuff with few dabbles into ops.

Until now.

However I not only want to do ops, I want to be good at ops. Therefor I want to maximize my rotation and provide max dps as I can.

I came across this build http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/smuggler/gunslinger/sharpshooter/rotation-and-cooldowns and had a few quick questions:

First off is this a decent build? And second what are burst cooldowns? It does not really say when to activate them so am I correct to assume that as soon as the cool down for that ability is done I use it? For example illegal mods cool down is 2 minutes. When I first engage do I use it right away? Then when the 2 minutes is up do I immediately activate again no matter where I am in my roto?

Thanks.

it's a good build yes. I use illegal mods rightaway and in every cd afterwards unless there is a burn phase I should wait for. Ideally I use illegal mods right before XS or speedshot (twice)

It's not a terrible build, although within the 36 points you allocate in sharpshooter you have bit of flexibility. I think that was waht I was using in that tree for a while (really like knockback on aimed shot) however sometimes i'll pass on distraction and aimed shot knockback for the increased ranged defense after exiting cover (get some extra passive damage mitigation, make healers' lives easier, if i know i won't be using those abilities). One of my friends I think raided with that allocation of 7 points saboteur tree for a 10% flyby damage boost, however I tend to use 36-3-7 as outlined in this guide in the gunslinger forums.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=657177

^That guide is a really good resource for playing sharphooter and therein he makes the case for the 36-3-7 rather than 36-7-3 buffing vital shot to maximize dps. Ultimately knowing you class, abilities, and the fights and making appropriate decisions will lead you to the best results, and if you find the extra energy from middle tree helps you avoid burnout, that's another potential perk. The rotation is pretty natural and eventually comes down to the fact that you have 1 spare/unscripted GCD between your aimed shots, and choosing the correct filler to go into that slot, be it vital shot, sabotage charge, flourish shot, or your basic flurry of bolts to manage your energy.