I have such a bad taste in my mouth from this game and I want to like it.

ArchangelAegis

I'm a huge fan of anything flight related but I have not been having fun in starfighter so far. I believe it is the matchmaking system. So far my only two games I got matched against people who could one shot me while my blasters barely did any damage to them. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, if I just suck or if this is something they plan on fixing.

By now you should have a ship nearly maxed out, or you will be at a big disadvantage. If so, things should get better for you in january when a lot of new players in unupgraded ships start flying.

I've started a couple of GS noob chars, and I regularly top my team's scores. Upgrades help for sure, but practice counts for a lot too. And some people's talents just aren't in the field of fighting in three dimensional environment.

I'm also concerned that noobs in the waves of preferred and F2P will be hammered, and so turned off a game they'd otherwise enjoy. I really hope this has been considered.

Even a lot of 'veteran' players will be using new ships when GSF goes live for preferred/f2p in january. They're adding bombers, possibly stealth fighters, and additional gunship models (and maybe even additional strike fighter and scout models), along with possibly new component types that we've seen in concept art or promotional material but dont currently have access to.

That will probably help even out the issues of fully upgraded ships vs new people coming into GSF.

I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, if I just suck or if this is something they plan on fixing.

You honestly probably just suck. Some people who struggle at dogfighting can excel in gunships, and often times capturing and defending satellites is possible without being a great dogfighter (just stay alive within the capture radius). Other than that, just give yourself some time to get used to the space game (or, if you're not having fun at all, stick to the ground game /shrug)

There isn't a matchmaking system right now. That's why you see almost fully upgraded premades being set against groups who still struggle with flying straight ahead while moving.

When the early access ends, they're going to add matchmaking, but we don't really have the population for it now.

You honestly probably just suck. Some people who struggle at dogfighting can excel in gunships, and often times capturing and defending satellites is possible without being a great dogfighter (just stay alive within the capture radius). Other than that, just give yourself some time to get used to the space game (or, if you're not having fun at all, stick to the ground game /shrug)

I agree with this. I am a sucky dogfighter but do well in a gunship or a fast flying scout who captures/holds nodes or harasses the enemy.

That said, if dogfighting is what you want to do and you struggle with the striker, you might try the unlockable scout. It's not as robust as a striker, but I find it much easier to dogfight in it.

Edited by MCaliban