Matchmaking Question

Jordansc

I currently fly a flashfire 80% of the time, but I want to start leveling up a strike fighter as well to offer a little more team value.

Since my strike fighter has zero upgrades at the moment and my flashfire is tier 3/4 across the board. When I try to fight with my strike am I going to be hopelessly outmatched? Is there any way to move a ship out of my choices to queue with to better match myself against ships not so upgraded?

Currently you don't seem to be able to deselect ships from your mix. I'd like that as an option for a lot of the same reasons. However, there are other potential options for you to consider so you're not totally outmatched.

Early Day Matches During the Week

Matches earlier in the day during the week (weekend play is much more populated) seem to include a much broader range of abilities and specs, thus more forgiving for a low level ship or player. They also take longer to pop.

Don't Group Match

Group matching appears to take into account the higher level of everyone in your group. If I queue solo, I get a lower level match-up than if I group with one of my buddies who has more achievements than I do.

Leaving a Match

If you get into one and think you're totally outclassed and don't want to deal with it, leave before it starts.

Play Anyway

If you go in with the knowledge you're going to die multiple times, just go with it. When I do this I'll do something crazy like only go for caps or do crazy dive runs at turrets until I get enough reqs to upgrade a bit. I was in a match the other day on a low level ship and what I did was completely unorthodox for that ship. Ended up getting a lot of assists, no kills, and a lot of deaths but it was still a good match.

So what happens if I want to unlock a CC ship and I currently already have the flashfire and Pike unlocked?

Are we maxed at 5 ships?

There should be an inactive hangar or something to store unused ships.

That could solve the matchmaking problem too. Any ship in the stored hangar wouldn't count on your upgrade.

Thank you for the tips though and the thought out reply.

If you have more than 5 ships you have to remove a ship from your panel and put an inactive one in its place. Click on "Select Your Ship" to access inactive ships.

As far as matchmaking... it depends on the number of people that are queuing. You need many undergeared people of both factions to get a group of them. My advice is to slog it out. GSF is more about pilot skill than upgrades, although upgrades do help when trying to get kills. Also if you are undergeared, hug the nodes and keep them from capping. This helps the team without having to worry about trying to kill geared people with an undergeared ship... rack up the assists.