The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What happened to the, "Rule of Two" after the Galactic Empire?

DeathTombPepsi

I read about Darth Krayt. He was trying to cheat life. He went to Korriban to seek the holocrons by 3 sith, but they told him he was a mockery of the sith, and he broke the rule of two.. I learned all of this was either during the Clone Wars or after the Galactic Empire. So I am just curious, did the Sith just do away with the Rule of Two after that era?

The Rule of Two was only really a paveway to the Rule of One, an agenda where One sith unlocks the Key to true Immortality and rules the galaxy for ever... But as for weather the Rule of Two is finished, I doubt we'll ever be able to say.

There have been a few times when individual Sith have decided to break away from Darth Bane's "Rule of Two" - Darth Cognus, the third Darth in Bane's order after Darth Bane and Darth Zannah, had an apprentice Darth Millenial who broke away and formed the Prophets of the Dark Side (Cognus then took another apprentice and continued the Rule of Two line down to Sidious and Vader). Krayt did something similar when he decided that his own Rule of One (the One being the Sith Order itself) was superior to the Rule of Two, and started recruiting an army of Sith.

There were others who continued the Rule of Two past Palpatine, though. [spoilers for New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force]

Vergere, the fallen Jedi who taught Krayt about the Dark Side, believed in the Rule of Two, she learned of the Dark Side from Palpatine. But Vergere believed he was too insane/dangerous to carry on the Sith legacy (she may also have believed he was violating the Rule of Two by training the Emperor's Hands and Dark Side adepts, it's been a while and I don't remember if that was part of her problem with him) and tried to kill him. When she failed she went on the run and wound up being captured by the Yuuzhan Vong.

Eventually, after Palpatine's death, Vergere linked up with Luminya, a former Emperor's Hand and self-styled Dark Lady of the Sith. Luminya effectively became Vergere's Sith Apprentice. Luminya and Vergere knew they would need to begin grooming another to become a Sith Apprentice once one of them died (just as Palpatine was grooming Anakin even while Dooku was his Apprentice). Vergere corrupted A'Sharad Hett, but he rejected the Rule of Two and became Darth Krayt, leaving Vergere behind and forming the One Sith.

Vergere then began corrupting Jacen Solo when he was captured by the Vong.

After the Vong were defeated and Vergere died, Luminya took on Jacen as her Sith Apprentice. Eventually Jacen fully embraced the Sith and became Darth Caedus. He first attempted to corrupt Ben Skywalker, but when Ben rejected him, Caedus instead took on Tahiri Veila as his Sith Apprentice. Caedus was eventually killed and Tahiri was redeemed by Ben without ever becoming a Sith Master or taking an apprentice, so it appears for now that this was the end of the Rule of Two.

So after the Emperor was killed by Vader we still had the Rule of Two going for another 37 years:

Vergere (Master) / Luminya (Apprentice) --> Luminya (Master) / Jacen (Apprentice) --> Darth Caedus (Master) / Tahiri (Apprentice)