Build levels vertically

Tavi

Currently all of the planets follow the same blueprint, which is to build the world horizontally. This is the same model most (if not all) MMO's use, and it's disappointing to me because it makes the worlds a bit boring. What you end up with is basically the same world with different textures and props.

Are those props great looking? Yes; in fact, I love SWTOR's art style. But it feels a bit repetitive when every planet is laid out in basically the same way. For instance, every cave/complex is almost identical to the last, especially in terms of functionality. In the areas that do introduce some vertical change, you get cut off from the rest of the level. I want to be able to look down (or up) at an area I was previously in. For whatever reason, its just more satisfying.

Here of some ideas relating to the current planets that could spice things up.

Taris has all these huge mushroom shaped buildings, yet you can't climb any of them! Climbing the ruins to get the datacron was probably one of my fondest moments on this planet. Give me more :).

Tatooine has some nice cliff walls that look like they could house some interesting content.

Belsavis's giant trees are just begging to be explored.

Hoth could introduce some steeper canyons, where you traverse caves that open up on the side of the canyon. Mountain climbing is also a viable option.

Nar Shaddaa and other city scape planets could do with some explorable skyscrapers.

In summary, stop making everything so flat! I want to go up (or down)!

Also, I have not had a chance to play Makeb yet. How is the level design? More of the same, or does it provide something different? Thanks!

I agree with this, I'd like to do some missions where you have to chase a foe across the tops of buildings like movies in Brazil type of style. I know where you're coming from, I think it's a great idea. They'd have to scratch almost all the blueprints though.

The great thing is they can easily add to existing planets; just add a speeder or some other transport device to get to the new area.

I think people would love to return to earlier planets if the new content offered something different. You can even reuse existing props/textures/etc. (for the most part), which should reduce development time. It's a way to add some new higher level content in a cheaper way than developing an entirely new planet (although new planets are great, I'm still waiting on Kashyyyk!).

One game off the top of my head that does a good job utilizing the vertical axis is Dark Souls. Anyone who's played that game (or Demon Soul's) will know what I'm talking about.

I agree with this, I'd like to do some missions where you have to chase a foe across the tops of buildings like movies in Brazil type of style. I know where you're coming from, I think it's a great idea. They'd have to scratch almost all the blueprints though.

We kinda had at near the end of the microbinocular series.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.