The Hardships of ending a Companion Romance (Spoilers, obviously)

BenKatarn

Did you ever find yourself in a situation where your character was at a crucial point during a romance arc with one of your companions, say the point where they offer to end it now because it goes too far or are actually wanting to marry you and you just shot them down hard?

I'm at such a point right now. I'm currently going through the class stories with alternate genders and am almost done with a female Sith Inquisitor (don't get me started on that one-sided BS of Ashara's romance). For all this time, I've been toying with Andronikos, treating him essentially like my little plaything in order to tend to my, shall we say, "physical needs", but otherwise didn't really show too much emotion for him.

Now, I'm at his companion quest "Close Ties", which is of course him proposing to me... and I'm not sure what to do. It is not in my character's nature to marry this guy. She is a Sith Lord who's about to ascend to the Dark Council, he's just a rundown, washed-up pirate gunman. By any means, I should shoot him down. But for some reason, I don't think I can do it, as a player I mean. I've seen the responses he'll give if I end it right there, and I can't help but feel sorry for him if I do.

So I'd like to know, have you been in a similiar situation before? So far, I've always went all the way with the my other companions, I finished the romance arc, married etc. The closest thing to an internal conflict regarding a companion romance I've ever had so far was with Corso and the female Smuggler, but I didn't have second thoughts until after I was already done with his arc. The female Smuggler is, after all, a free, independent woman who lives life to the fullest and isn't the settling-down-type at all.

Any thoughts?