The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Where do you get your infos used in the "vs." threads from?

Kacynski

Hi there,

first of all I quite enjoy to follow most of the "vs." or battle threads because many of the posters there seem to be quite well informed. Which makes me curious where this level of information comes from.

My biggest question is on lightsaber styles. How do you know which style is used by the combattants? We know some from the KotOR games, like we know that the Exile eventually mastered all forms. But how do you know for people we only know from the movies, the TCW show or comics? As far as I followed these it never mentioned which LS stances where used.

Also the force abilities, we can see some ingame and in trailers, but from the snippets I think it is really difficult to know what is going on and especially how these force techniques are being called.

So, is this all described in detail in the various books (which I did only read one or two and that was decades ago :D)?

Just let me know what the sources are on all these discussions of powers and skills.

Books, books, and more books. That's generally what I do. I don't trust Wookieepedia, so I use it rarely.

Some good books for detail on Force abilities and lightsaber combat that I would recommend:

The Jedi Path

Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Power of the Jedi

and various other sourcebooks.

So most of this does indeed come from books (thanks for the recommendations).

Is there a way these little thinks are kept in line, or is there much of contradiction going on? I do think to have read that Lucas used to be quite picky to whom he would give out licenses to use his lore (and thus try to keep the general theme intact), but I guess this wouldn't include a lot of the details as to which character was a practitioner of which lightsaber stance.

I just wonder how such a big pool of ideas, characters and worlds with so many different authors contributing to it are being kept consistent. Or are there works within the EU that are essentially disregarded and not considered canon?

Sorry for the slight tangent this thread is, but this is something that kind of bothers me and prevented me to dig further into the EU as I worry I would be put off by a lot of inconsistencies. But as I see you guys here arguing and quite often agreeing on the "facts", I started to guess there might be more consistency then I was thinking.

Wow, I just googled him and did read his Wikipedia entry. I never knew that there is a real life Holocron to keep all things on track :eek:

Thanks a lot for this info, that settles my question pretty much. I think it also explains why the SW franchise is still going strong after three and a half decades, there seems to be a lot of attention to detail going on. Well, now that I know I will even more enjoy your discussions which form is superior for dueling under specific circumstances :p

Wow, I just googled him and did read his Wikipedia entry. I never knew that there is a real life Holocron to keep all things on track :eek:

Thanks a lot for this info, that settles my question pretty much. I think it also explains why the SW franchise is still going strong after three and a half decades, there seems to be a lot of attention to detail going on. Well, now that I know I will even more enjoy your discussions which form is superior for dueling under specific circumstances :p

Well, should you wish to know more about lightsaber combat and Force abilities, I have compiled many informative threads here.

Go ahead and ask questions. We are more than willing to answer what ever questions you may have.

Books, books, and more books. That's generally what I do. I don't trust Wookieepedia, so I use it rarely.
Wookieepedia, Wookieepedia, and more Wookieepedia. :D

Seriously though don't listen to this old fogey, Wookieepedia is an excellent resource and has information on just about anything. But yeah you'll find it very rare that once a piece of media is made or a character is introduced that sourcebooks, codex entries etc. are not made to accompany it explaining what styles they used etc.

But you can find that all on Wookieepedia, just search. Sourcebooks are good too, but only get them for subjects your specifically interested in. And yeah check out Aurbere's index thread too.