Reactive Warding Relics: Bugged or Working as Intended?

ZooMzy

So after taking note of the bug problem I posted in another thread, I actually looked into the matter a little more in depth:

My original interpretation of the Reactive Warding relic, when procced, was that for each attack in the 6 seconds of time that it was available, all of the damage would either be absorbed if it was below 1360 and all attacks that did more than 1360 would have said amount taken off. However, after looking at the proc during various intervals in a HM FPs, I noticed that the proc would occur and then disappear shortly after.

Originally, I thought the bug was due to it just not proccing at all or instantly removing itself. However, I noticed that it did stay up when procced at varying times, but would go away based on the damage I was taking. Which leads me to the new conclusion that the relic is absorbing 1360 damage, and that's it.

Can I get some confirmation on this? I have no way to tell what the original intention of this relic was, but to assume that a level 55 relic for a tank oriented player gives a proc that absorbs 1360 base line damage at least every 40 seconds is kind of silly, considering the other proc relics that give numbers to shield/absorb and defense rating would be far more beneficial than a shield that absorbs 1360 damage every 40 seconds if you're lucky

How is 1360 of damage absorbed at the earliest every 40 seconds good midigation?

Say you have +500 absorb from a proc relic. That's like 8% tops. Your shield chance being around 42%.

If you manage to shield an attack that would hit you for 20k damage((20k damage first off being unlikely(and then only a 42% chance on top of that) It would only mitigate 1600 extra damage. Whereas with this relic you still have your shielding and absorbing and on top of that you have a guaranteed chance to absorb 1360 damage. It's also on a 20 second cooldown as either the tooltip or the proc itself it bugged.

Say you have +500 absorb from a proc relic. That's like 8% tops. Your shield chance being around 42%.

I play a sin tank, so the results may differ. My stats currently sit with Shield and Absorb at 52% With Dark Ward and 49.7% in Sheild Absorption, if that will effect the study for this next part.

If you manage to shield an attack that would hit you for 20k damage((20k damage first off being unlikely(and then only a 42% chance on top of that) It would only mitigate 1600 extra damage. Whereas with this relic you still have your shielding and absorbing and on top of that you have a guaranteed chance to absorb 1360 damage. It's also on a 20 second cooldown as either the tooltip or the proc itself it bugged.

The procs would be more beneficial in a long run, given how in boss fights, the tank is taking very consistent blows that usually are ticks (IE, 4k, 4k, 4k)

As a proc and using your numbers, the relic is not very effective as say a 625 increase in Absorb would be because it's a straight "here's 1360, it's gone when you lose it" versus that increase in mitigation for attacks that are consistently ticking on you, which by example, would be 1360 straight mitigation in comparison to say 8% off of 5 ticks of 5k which would be a total of 2k mitigated. 1360 base damage as the best relic is very small in comparison to stacking the proc relics in defense (which, by all accounts, in a necessity for pretty much every tank class) with the addition absorb relic producing more results in terms of multiple attacks and more mitigation from big hits like 20k if procced

I recently tested this, as I originally used this relic in addition to the Absorb increase by 625, and seeing this change, I swapped out the Reactive Warding (1360) for the 625 to Defense Rating. Which, according to my healers, made a significant change in my overall survivability in HM Dread Fortress against Nefra, Draxus, and Grob'Thok (Corrupter Zero still keeps tearing me apart with the DoTs and the Ravage clone "Heavy Slashes"), which I can agree to with the benefits of using the Absorb relic (it usually pops at the beginning of my 15 stacks, which gives me the similar nature of being able to have the 8 stacks of the increase to Absorb as they build or an even greater amount of mitigation when I have the stacks of Absorb).

So, sum up, I guess I can see where this relic can be considered as a factor in comparison to the others now, given the more in depth look. But still, I feel as if the better mitigation results of the relic should come from a 6 second window of straight mitigation, rather than a straight 1360 and done.

Edited by ZooMzy