Reading up on LORE

Beeteel

Ok so I have read "tales of the Jedi" omnibus 1 but I a question. I want to read about the very beginning and work my way to the "present". Ehere to start?

I have this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_books. I want to read acknowledged works. Also I see nothing about the "Tales of the Jedi" in that link. I really need some correct reading that can shed some light on the SW universe history

Ok so I have read "tales of the Jedi" omnibus 1 but I a question. I want to read about the very beginning and work my way to the "present". Ehere to start?

I have this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_books. I want to read acknowledged works. Also I see nothing about the "Tales of the Jedi" in that link. I really need some correct reading that can shed some light on the SW universe history

Tales of the Jedi are comic books so getting a volume (ie Omnibus 1) is a collection of those. That wooki list is novels.

I'm not sure what you mean by "present"? Do you mean up to the SWTOR portion of the timeline.

The Lost Tribe of the Sith is collected into one work (350ish pages) with a comic book following events right after. It's kinda neat to watch how they change over the years but the events in there are not related to SWTOR or the SW galaxy at large in general as they (the Tribe) are literally isolated from the rest of the galaxy so you don't see any of the Sith Wars that take place during that time.

Obviously Into the Void occurs before all the other books but again that will not relate to SWTOR. If you want concise statements of SW history best to just get a source book. If you want to focus on the SWTOR timeline start with Revan then etc.

I personally think the best place to start is the Darth Bane Trilogy or Darth Plageueis. All are good reads and even though they don't occur early in the SW timeline, they will mention previous long time ago events frequently. Personally the DB trilogy are my favorite books.

Edited by sell-dog

I dont mind comics as long as they are not some solo ramblings of something that dont fall into place with acknowledged lore.

I Also dont mind reading stories about stuff that dont really relate to SWTOR. What I want to do is to start where it all begins (something like "into the void" sounds interesting if its acknowledged by lucas or whatever lore masters are looking for).

And whats "Dawn of the Jedi"? If Im corrects its set in about the same time as "Into the void"?

Now considering what I just wrote. Where should I begin? And what should I avoid?

I dont mind comics as long as they are not some solo ramblings of something that dont fall into place with acknowledged lore.

I Also dont mind reading stories about stuff that dont really relate to SWTOR. What I want to do is to start where it all begins (something like "into the void" sounds interesting if its acknowledged by lucas or whatever lore masters are looking for).

And whats "Dawn of the Jedi"? If Im corrects its set in about the same time as "Into the void"?

Now considering what I just wrote. Where should I begin? And what should I avoid?

Into the Void is the earliest novel. Dawn of the Jedi is technically an ongoing comic book series but in my opinion when I hear "Dawn of the Jedi" I consider it more of an umbrella term/an era that covers that portion of the SW timeline as there are now other things (ie Into the Void) that have that Dawn of the Jedi title. THe umbrella Dawn of the Jedi era is from about 36,000 BBY to 25,000 BBY and Into the Void is 27,500 BBY.

If you wanna start where it all begins then go with Into the Void. If you wanna start with how the Sith go from many to two then has to be Darth Bane Trilogy. Both mark a sort of beginning so to speak so whichever sounds better to you.

Are you asking what you should avoid based on the quality of the book/comic? Or only what you should avoid based on not being regarded as canon/fitting into the lore? Because very, very, very few novels or comics are actually non-canon/outside the lore.

Even one of the old Marvel Comics printed before Empire Strikes Back came out that features a flashback with Obi-Wan, Anakin Skywalker, and Darth Vader all on an adventure together got (rather deftly) fit into canon at one point.

For a timeline of novels, comics, and video games that fit into canon (from the farthest back any stories go, up to SW:TOR) here ya go:

(BBY = "Before Battle of Yavin" aka, how many years before Star Wars: A New Hope it takes place)

Dawn of the Jedi Era: Over 25,000 BBY

Into the Void - novel - 25,793 BBY

Dawn of the Jedi - ongoing comic series - 25,793 BBY (still ongoing)

• Force Storm - issues 1-5 collected in trade paperback - 25,793 BBY
  • The Prisoner of Bogan - Issues 6-10 trade paperback - 25,793 BBY

Great Hyperspace War Era: Around 5,000 BBY

Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith - comic miniseries (also collected in Star Wars Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi 1) - 5,000 BBY

Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire - comic miniseries (Omnibus: TotJ 1)- 5,000ish BBY

Lost Tribe of the Sith - eBook series - 5,000ish - 2,975 BBY

• Precipice - 5,000ish BBY
  • Skyborn - 5,000ish BBY
  • Paragon - 4,985 BBY
  • Savior - 4,975 BBY

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Era: Around 4,000 BBY

Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic - comic miniseries (Omnibus: TotJ 1) - 4,000 - 3,999 BBY

Tales of the Jedi: The Freedon Nadd Uprising - comic miniseries (Omnibus: TotJ 2) - 3,998 BBY

Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith - comic miniseries (Omnibus: TotJ 2) - 3,997 BBY

Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War - comic miniseries (Omnibus: TotJ 2) - 3,996ish BBY

Shadows and Light - comic in Star Wars Tales: Issue 23 - 3,993 BBY

Tales of the Jedi: Redemption - comic miniseries (Omnibus: TotJ 2) - 3,986 BBY

Knights of the Old Republic - comic series (50 issues) - 3,964 - 3,963 BBY

• Commencement - Issues 0-6 trade paperback - 3,964 BBY
  • Flashpoint - Issues 7-12 trade paperback - 3,964 BBY
  • Days of Fear, Nights of Anger - Issues 13-18 trade paperback - 3,963 BBY
  • Daze of Hate, Knights of Suffering - Issues 19-24 trade paperback - 3,963 BBY
  • Vector - Issues 25-28 trade paperback - 3,963 BBY (Star Wars Vector: Volume 1, Chapters 1 & 2 includes these issues, plus Star Wars: Dark Times issues 11-12, which are set 19 BBY)
  • Vindication - Issues 29-35 trade paperback - 3,963 BBY
  • Dueling Ambitions - Issues 36-41 trade paperback- 3,963 BBY
  • Destroyer - Issues 42-46 trade paperback - 3,963 BBY
  • Demon - Issues 47-50 trade paperback - 3,963 BBY

Knights of the Old Republic: War - comic miniseries - 3,962 BBY

[Star Wars Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic 1, collecting issues 0-18 is out now, Omnibus: KotOR 2 is due out next month collecting issues 19-35, and Omnibus: KotOR 3 is due out April 2014 collecting issues 36-50 and the War miniseries]

Lost Tribe of the Sith - eBook series - 5,000ish - 2,975 BBY

• Purgatory - 3,960 BBY
  • Sentinel - 3,960 BBY

Knights of the Old Republic - video game - 3,956 BBY

Revan - novel - 3,954 - 3,950 BBY (Part 1 of the novel takes place in 3,954 BBY)

Unseen, Unheard - comic in Star Wars Tales: Issue 24 - 3,952 BBY

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - video game - 3,951 BBY

Revan - novel - 3,954 - 3,950 BBY (Part 2 of the novel takes place in 3,950 BBY)

Star Wars: The Old Republic Era: Around 3,650 BBY

The Old Republic: Blood of the Empire - comic miniseries - 3,678 BBY

Deceived - novel - 3,653 BBY

The Old Republic: The Threat of Peace - comic miniseries - 3,653 BBY

Red Harvest - novel - 3,645 BBY

Fatal Alliance - novel - 3,643 BBY

The Old Republic: The Lost Suns - comic miniseries - 3,643 BBY

The Old Republic - video game - 3,643 - 3,640ish BBY (still ongoing, obviously)

Annihilation - novel - 3,640 BBY