Question regarding Padawans and masters....

Sideblaze

Let's assume a Jedi knight has his own Padawan, let's also assume the knight and Padawan are separate for a time. If a Jedi Master, who isn't the Padawan's master, decides to give the Padawan an order, Is the Padawan to follow the orders, or can he deny them with no ramifications? If it depends, list the what it depends on?

Probably a dumb question. but I've yet to find an example of this. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Sideblaze

The Jedi Order has a chain of command just like any other. Padawans are obviously at the lower end, so they have to take the orders of Knights and Masters. For instance, Ahsoka has to follow the orders of both her Master, Anakin, and Obi-Wan Kenobi (or any other Master, as we see in other TCW episodes).

Of course Anakin and Ahsoka usually have a tendency to disobey orders or go about them a different way, but you get the gist.

Edited by Aurbere

Let's assume a Jedi knight has his own Padawan, let's also assume the knight and Padawan are separate for a time. If a Jedi Master, who isn't the Padawan's master, decides to give the Padawan an order, Is the Padawan to follow the orders, or can he deny them with no ramifications? If it depends, list the what it depends on?

Probably a dumb question. but I've yet to find an example of this. Thanks in advance.

I imagine it would be much the same as in the Military during times of war. Say you are in a unit, and you are the XO and Ranked as a 2nd Lt, and your CO is a Lt. During fighting you get separated and come across a Captain or another 1st LT a week or so later. It's not like you can tell them to go pound sand because they aren't YOUR 1st Lt or Capt.

That said I can't imagine a case where a Padawan would be separated from their master for any length of time and the Jedi Order wouldn't just assign the Padawan to another Master. I mean in the Star Wars universe your ships Holo can talk to the Jedi Order from the other other side of the Galaxy in real time communication. The only way that would make sense is if the Padawan in question has gone rogue.

As for the Ramification, it totally depends on what the order was. I mean if Other Master X is like, "Go fetch me a cup of tea...." and the Padawan is following their Master's order to protect the ship, yeah... not so much. If the order is... "Help me stop a Sith Invasion, by making a holo call....." and the Padawan doesn't have any reason not to follow the order... they will probably get expelled from the order.

It also would depend entirely on how much of an issue the other master wants to make of it, and how much the Padawan's Master will defend their student.

Edited by StarMagus

The Jedi Order has a chain of command just like any other. Padawans are obviously at the lower end, so they have to take the orders of Knights and Masters. For instance, Ahsoka has to follow the orders of both her Master, Anakin, and Obi-Wan Kenobi (or any other Master, as we see in other TCW episodes).

Of course Anakin and Ahsoka usually have a tendency to disobey orders or go about them a different way, but you get the gist.

This essentially, but with a twist, Padawans can refuse orders if they know they aren't ready, if a Jedi Master (or knight) orders a Padawan to help him defeat some bandits who are attacking a village, but the Padawan has only just started training, then the Padawan would be perfectly justified to say no, and the Jedi Council would agree.

The important thing to remember is that despite the moniker Jedi Knights, they are based more on monastic lines than military.

However a Padawan must be sure they are nowhere near ready, since the order will occassionaly test it's Padawans (and indeed Knights and Masters) by giving orders that stretch them to their limits, and they would not be Justified to say no to these orders. It has to do with how far they are trained, a master or knight can and will give orders the Padawan feels uncomfortable with, but they should never give orders the Padawan could never achieve if it puts them in danger.

Basically it boils down to shades of grey.

Edited by AlexDougherty

This essentially, but with a twist, Padawans can refuse orders if they know they aren't ready, if a Jedi Master (or knight) orders a Padawan to help him defeat some bandits who are attacking a village, but the Padawan has only just started training, then the Padawan would be perfectly justified to say no, and the Jedi Council would agree.

Yeah but a Padawan who keeps telling the higher ups "Nope, still no ready" will probably not go far in the order. Self Doubt is a really negative trait in a Jedi.

Yeah but a Padawan who keeps telling the higher ups "Nope, still no ready" will probably not go far in the order. Self Doubt is a really negative trait in a Jedi.

Yes, I know. That's why it all boils down to shades of grey. A padawan who knows their own strengths is a good thing, but one who doubts their ability to improvise and stretch themselves, isn't. And if they keep saying no, then they will get sidetracked, and probably end up maintaining the archives.

It's quite difficult to put it all into words without ending up with a multipage post that no-one will read. But it's all down to the circumstances, and most masters won't give their Padawans a task that's too big for them. One that forces them to grow, yes, one that's just too big, no.

Also does anyone else miss the term Apprentice, I much preferred that to Padawan.