She Who Battles Monsters: An Assassin's Tale

Mirdthestrill

Well, I was going to say something about this being the 100th post, but it's actually the 101st post, and last week's update was the 100th post. Happy 100th post anyway, I guess.

Part 54: The Nexus Room

“Thank you for being so helpful,” I say wryly to Khem as I deactivate my lightsaber.

“You did not ask.”

I sigh. “In the future, if I’m trying to kill someone, you can assume I want your help unless I say otherwise.”

“Very well.”

I look at him. I still haven’t learned to read him well enough to tell when he genuinely doesn’t know or understand things, when he’s being difficult on purpose, and when he’s attempting humor. Deciding it doesn’t really matter in this instance, I return my attention to Darth Skotia’s body. I don’t think I’ve touched it, or anything else here, but I should probably make sure that I leave as little evidence as possible. Despite Zash’s promise that she’ll see to it that I’m not caught, I don’t trust her that far, or at all, really.

“Stay back,” I warn Khem, then direct a stream of lightning at Skotia’s body. It twitches, shudders, smokes, and bursts into flame. I let off a few more bursts at various things that might have been disturbed in our fight and finish with the computer and security cameras. Zash also assured me there were none connected to a network, but that he might have his own. I also fry the guards, who are beyond saving and will reinforce the story that a more

powerful Sith broke in.

I motion Khem out and shut the door behind us, taking one last look around for anything else I might have missed before I do. The room looks clear. So does the hallway outside. I slip into Zash’s office, grab the first datapad I see, and head for the front door.

Nobody seems to notice me, and I can’t help but feeling that this is a little too easy. But I make it to the speeder without being stopped. As it flies away, I look back. The Citadel looks the same as it does every other day. My heart is pounding and I feel a little lightheaded. Keep it together, Kiarn. You’ve come all this far, you can’t lose it now.

We make it back to Zash’s house and I hurry up to my room. She told me to inform her as soon as I finished, but my outfit is soaked with rain and sweat, my hair is tousled, and boots are scuffed. I’ll stand out far too much if I show up at a party like this. So I quickly change into the nicest of the remaining tunics and my less-used boots, straighten my hair, and try to look as presentable as possible.

“Stay here,” I say to Khem as I hurry out the door again. He’ll also stick out, and I don’t want to bring him into a group of Sith lords, one of whom will probably know what he is.

The party is being held at a cantina near the Citadel, the Nexus Room. I remember hearing the name when I lived on Droumund Kaas before, but never in any significant way, and I’ve certainly never been inside. The droid at the entrance gives me an unhappy look, but lets me pass.

Inside, I walk through a dimly-lit entry, dripping water on the polished floor. Decorations are sparse, but I can hear loud music from the next room, a pulsing beat that vibrates its way through the soles of my boots and crackles in my eardrums. I frown and rub my ear to clear the buzzing away.

A large human man in a suit steps in front of the entrance as I approach. “This is a private party,” he growls.

“I have a message for Lord Zash,” I reply levelly, holding out the datapad I swiped from her office. “Now out of my way, so I can deliver it.” A little bluster might work here.

The bouncer looks me up and down, as though assessing whether he should tell me to leave or drag me out bodily. But then he notices my lightsaber. “Of course, Lord,” he says, stepping out of the way.

Walking past him, I survey the room. Sith lords of all descriptions fill the place, standing in clusters around tables, leaning languidly against the bar, and paired off in dark corners. A group of younger ones ogle the scantily clad twi’leks dancing in a cage suspended from the ceiling in the center of the room. The dark side pulses here like the music, but not the same way as it does in places like Naga Sadow’s tomb. Here, it seems lifeless, routine. No sign of Zash. She could be anywhere.

I descend the stairs to the main floor. Best to ask the bartender, rather than wandering around on my own for who knows how long, probably angering some drunken Sithling and leaving more memories of my presence than if I just asked a direct question.

To reach the bar, I have to slip through nearly the entire floor crowded with Sith in various stages of intoxication. Dodging elbows and energetic gestures, I’m almost at my destination when I collide with a figure who steps in

front of me at the last second. “Sorry, Lord,” I murmur, ducking my head and starting on.

“Wait a second, Kiarn,” says a voice I recognize.

“Erilinn?” I look up at the being’s face. It’s him alright. Same red skin, golden eyes, facial tendrils. He’s wearing golden jewelry, including a nosepiece I don’t remember him wearing on Korriban, as well as several eyebrow and lip rings and a few climbing his ears. “What are you doing here?” I say before I can stop myself.

“I was invited, of course. Which is more than I could say for you, I’d guess.” His lips twitch a bit and I realize he’s

teasing me. “What are doing here?”

“Searching for my master. I have an urgent message for her.”

He frowns. “Lord Zash, correct? How is she these days?”

“She’s fine, thank you.” He knows who Lord Zash is, he’s the one that introduced me to her back on Korriban and

warned me to be careful of her, not that I really needed the encouragement. I don’t know how good his memory is, but he doesn’t seem nearly drunk enough to have forgotten her already.

His frown deepens and he holds out a glass flute filled with clear liquid. A piece of bright blue fruit floats in it.

“Have a drink.”

I start to refuse, but he hands me the glass anyway and I take it. The liquid is cold, bitter, with the sharp taste of alcohol lightened only by a bit of citrus flavor. I try to avoid making a face. “Thank you.”

“Zash is in one of the conversation rooms in the back. I’ll take you to her.”

“I can find my own way, thank you.” I don’t exactly distrust Erilinn, but I certainly don’t trust him either.

He looks me in the eye and his voice drops so that I can barely hear him over the music and conversation. “Kiarn, the bartender is in the pocket of every single authority and half the Sith lords in the town, including Imperial Intelligence. Do you really want him knowing more about your activities than he needs to?”

“When you put it that way…” He makes a good point, and it would probably make more of a scene to refuse him now anyway. He holds out his hand, which I ignore, and leads me towards the back of the room.

Edited by Mirdthestrill

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I love Khem's 'You didn't ask.' Trying to figure him out has to be frustrating. This made me think of an evil genie out of a bottle with whom you have to be very careful what you wish for.

Yeah, that's kind of how I think of him, too. He has a lot of power, but you have to work carefully so it doesn't backfire on you horribly.

Part 55: Gossip and Gin

We weave our way through partygoers in various stages of intoxication. Many of them look quite bored, given how much is going on around them. I suppose a philosophy that encourages hedonism would tend to make you hard to impress. All the racket just gives me a headache.

I catch a glimpse of Zash through one of the doors, but before I can walk towards it, Lord Erilinn holds out a hand in front of me. “Wait up a minute.”

Watching him warily, I do. “What is it?”

He shifts a little. “I just wanted to tell you that I’m sorry. About Meiko.”

Memories rush back on me- a featureless stone room, a roaring in my ears, a pleading look followed by the sharp crack of bone. Blinking to clear them away, I try to refocus on his face. “What?”

“I didn’t mean for either of you to end up in that situation, and I’m sorry. She didn’t deserve to die.” His eyes drop to the floor. “I wish you the best, Kiarn.”

I stare after him as he walks away, and then something clicks. “Wait!”

He stops. “What is it?”

“Why aren’t you on Korriban?” I could see there being a vacation or something in between cycles of acolytes, but it’s been several months since I left. Surely they would have started new classes by now?

“I don’t teach there anymore.”

“Oh.” I want to ask why not, but don’t. It’s his business where he works.

“It wasn’t the right place for me, so I asked Eliss to find a replacement. He arrived last week, so here I am.”

“Ah. I hope you enjoy your new position.” This time, I’m the one who turns away, heading towards the room where Zash is.

She sits at a table with a few older Sith lords, smiling and talking. They don’t make any effort to hide their conversation as I approach. “Well, when I heard she’d taken up with a Mandalorian, I was scandalized, just scandalized.” She sounds exactly like a serving girl discussing the latest gossip.

“I know,” replies on of the other Sith, a human female with a round face and short brown hair. “You’d think she would have the decency to at least-”

Zash holds up a hand to stop the chatter. “What is it, Apprentice?”

“I have a message for you, Master.”

To her credit, not one hint of triumph crosses her face as she turns back to her companions. “One moment. My apprentice wishes to speak with me.”

She motions me over to a corner of the room, which is empty except for the one table. “Is it done?” she hisses.

“Yes, Master. I don’t think anyone saw me, either.” I hand her the datapad. “This is from your office. I needed a plausible reason to be in the Sanctum if someone stopped me.”

Her expression clouds and she grabs my wrist. “Never go in my office again without my permission again. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Master. I’m sorry. It won’t happen again.” At least now I’m sure she doesn’t know I’ve been in her room. If she’s this sensitive about her office, she would probably be livid if I went there.

She relaxes her grip and regains her composure. “You’ve performed magnificently, Apprentice. You may go,” she says loudly enough that the others in the room can hear.

“Yes, Master.” I bow slightly and turn to leave. Before I make it back to the main room of the cantina, I hear a comlink buzz.

Lord Zash answers it. “Darth Thanaton,” she says coolly. “I’m honored.” A pause. “Darth Skotia? Dead? This is the first I’ve heard of it.” Her voice is completely guileless.

I roll my eyes. One more reminder not to trust her. Everything she does could be an act. I realize I’m still holding the drink Lord Erilinn gave me earlier. I sigh. The fight with Skotia exhausted me, the music is giving me a headache and I can still taste the alcohol on my tongue. All I want is to go back to Zash’s and go to bed, but I have a feeling my long day is going to get longer. At least this isn’t the Academy. If Quillan or Karanni were-

Karanni! In all the chaos, I’ve forgotten all about her. And why shouldn’t you? It’s not like anyone will ever know you saw her, and even if they do, you’re Sith. You are under no obligation to help a rival. In fact, people expect the

opposite. But should I just leave her? The way she begged for help…

I stop in the middle of the cantina floor. I have to do the right thing, for once. Now there’s the question of how. Even if I had the medical skills to care for her myself, my guilt doesn’t extend that far. I could call an ambulance service, but I don’t want Zash to know what I’ve done, and I don’t have any means of communication that isn’t monitored by her. I head back to the bar to return my glass.

As I set it on a tray, I catch sight of Erilinn. He’s still holding a drink, which he appears not to have made any progress on at all, and is watching the other partygoers, occasionally glancing down at a datapad. Of course!

Slipping up beside him, I wait until he notices me before saying “If you want to save the life of one of your students, you might want to go to the alley at 3316 Regulus Street as soon as possible.” Before he has time to respond, I hurry away, losing my small figure in the shifting crowd of revelers.

• 2 weeks later...

Part 56: A Day for Myself

Back at Zash’s house, I wait for news with nervousness fluttering in my chest. While I have no real attachment to Zash herself, she’s likely to sell me out if it comes down to it, either to save her own neck or just out of pure spite. It’s the way of the Sith. And even if my some miracle she didn’t, my time as a Sith would still be over. Few Sith would take on another lord’s work, and I’m not strong enough to claim my own place yet.

So all I can do is wait for word, either Zash returning safely or Sith pounding on my door, looking for blood. Finally, I sense Zash’s familiar presence downstairs. “Apprentice?” she calls.

“Yes, Lord?” I’m sure by this point, she doesn’t care if I don’t add her title to every statement I direct at her, but it’s a long habit.

“Come downstairs. You’ll never believe what just happened!” She doesn’t sound too upset. In fact, she sounds the exact opposite. I hurry down the stairs to see her grinning broadly. “Oh, apprentice, you’ll never believe what the Dark Council told me!”

“What is it?” She’s using that half-condescending, half-flirtatious tone again. It makes me uncomfortable.

“Well, Darth Thanaton called me in front of the Council to get them to punish me for Skotia’s death. But instead, they gave me full use of his offices and resources. And that’s not all!” She pauses, and I wait for her to finish.

“They’ve promoted me to Darth!”

“Congratulations, Darth Zash.” It is something of an accomplishment, even if I rather resent her getting promoted for something I did.

She runs her fingers through her hair. “This is much better than I hoped. And you helped.” She studies me. “I think you deserve a thank you.”

I bow slightly. “You’re welcome, Lord.” When in doubt, you can never be too humble with Sith, especially Darths. Especially newly promoted Darths.

“I think a little more than that is order.” She fishes in her pocket and pulls out a handful of credits. “These are yours, to spend as you see fit. You may also have tomorrow off to do whatever you would like before I send you on your next mission.”

I take them and suppress a smile. Apart from the money she gave me to fulfil my mission to the Colossus, I’ve

never held this much money before. Certainly never to use on myself. I can already think of a long list of things to spend it on.

Darth Zash looks pleased at my poorly hidden excitement and brushes past me to head up the stairs. I pocket the credits and climb to my room. Tomorrow, I’m going to go shopping.

I wake up in the morning with the vague feeling that I have something I wanted to do today. It takes me a moment to pinpoint the source, but when I do, I roll out of bed and dress quickly. Surprisingly, I slept fairly well last night. I don’t know why. Now that I’m awake, the image of Karanni’s broken body keeps appearing in my mind, distracting me.

Khem stands up from where he’s been leaning against the wall as I come out of the bathroom. I suppress a sigh. Even after all these months, I still know next to nothing about the Dashade. “I’m, uh, going shopping today. Is there something you need?”

“I require nothing.”

“Ok.” I wonder what I should do with him. He’s kind of useless to me right now, but I can’t just let him wander off with everything he knows.

The first stop on my expedition is an inexpensive general merchandise store, where I buy the basic items I’ve been wanting since Korriban- things like toothpaste and hand lotion and a new comb for my hair. I also pick up some meal-replacement bars and dried fruit. Zash has been feeding me well, but it will be nice to have my own temporary supply in case I need it.

Next, I find a low-priced clothing store and buy a half dozen pairs each of socks and underwear. Shoes are too expensive to buy many of right now and my two pairs are still in decent enough shape, but I do get a pair of thick-soled boots that lace up to my knees and are possibly the most comfortable things I’ve ever put on my feet. As a bonus, they add about two centimeters to my height. I’ll be the first to say that size is no measure of power or ability, but not everyone in the galaxy sees it that way.

For the rest of my wardrobe, I select plain tunics, leggings, robes, and skirts in blacks and grays, with an

occasional splash of red or purple trim. I look paler than ever, encased in colorless fabric from neck to toe, but I also l look the part of a Sith apprentice, and it suits me more than any color would.

Leaving the clothing store, I check how much money I have left. Surprisingly, quite a bit. Logic tells me I should save it, stash it somewhere in case I need to get away from Zash someday or buy something without her knowledge. But I think I have enough for a dress. A really nice one, like I’ve seen some of the female Darths wearing. While most of my former owners didn’t exactly dress me in rags- nobody wants someone like that serving their dinner table- I’ve always wanted something fancy.

No, Kiarn. You don’t need it, it would be weakness to buy something of no use. Where would you ever wear a dress like that? You probably couldn’t even afford one. But I could look, couldn’t I? No, Kiarn. You can’t even look.

I sigh. I should take this stuff home and see what Darth Zash has in store for me next.

Part 57: The Dark Temple

The next afternoon, I stand with Khem Val in the dripping jungle near yet another hulking stone structure. Rain soaks my hair and runs down my neck and pours off the shoulders of my new rain-proof black cloak.

Khem shifts next to me and says “Zash is using you, little Sith. Tulak Hord would not have tolerated being ordered around in such a way.”

“I don’t have Tulak Hord’s resources behind me. Besides, I’m trying not to attract attention.”

“She is going to betray you.”

“So I’ve heard. Let’s go.”

When I got back to Zash’s last night, she was already ready for me to do another task for her. This time, she wants me to retrieve some sort of artifact from a chamber in the Dark Temple. According to her, the object itself should be simple enough to find. “It’s the temple itself you’ll have to be wary of. The spirits of at least a dozen Sith lords haunt the place, and they’ve been known to possess the weak-minded. You’ll have to fight off numerous adventurers and archeologists, as well as avoid influence yourself.”

So here I am, half a mile from the Dark Temple, with only a map, a lightsaber, a key to the chamber I’m supposed to unlock, and an ancient, Force-user eating assassin. Wonderful.

As we trek through the jungle, I can feel sentient beings not too far off. Most likely a camp of the archeologists Zash mentioned. Ideally, I’d like to avoid contact with them. While I don’t think they pose any particular threat of their own, the fewer people who know I’m here, the better.

This section of forest is a lot like the one the rebelling slaves were hiding in, but it feels… darker, somehow. The trees grow a little closer together, the vegetation is a little more twisted, and the clouds seem to hang a bit lower. A bolt of lightning arcs through the sky, illuminating everything in stark blue-white for an instant before returning to gloom.

According to the map I pulled out of the Sith databases before I left, it shouldn’t be far now. Sure enough, just a few minutes later, I see a break in the trees and a clearing opens up. It’s a big one, a ragged-edge circle probably a mile across. Most of it is a maze of stairways, pavements, and broken masonry, with occasional patches of bare ground or clumps of trees where the jungle is trying to take over again. A few figures are moving around closer to the temple, but they’re too far away to tell what kind of beings they are, and I don’t want to probe closer with the Force to find out.

I emerge from the undergrowth quietly, looking around for any danger. Khem follows, moving reasonably silently. The temple is, as near as I can tell, exactly in the center of the area. It looms over everything, a good five stories high, vaguely pyramidal in shape and set on a slight hill. Although it looks worn from countless years sitting out here, the structure itself looks reasonably sound. The dark side hangs so thickly around the place that I can almost see it hanging in deep purplish-black clouds.

The moving figures resolve as I get closer, revealing themselves to be various humanoids staggering around on random trajectories. Some occasionally clutch at their heads as though they’re in pain, but none pay any attention to me. As I pass, I catch a closer look at one. He is- or was, at least- a human male, probably about thirty five, wearing a ragged Imperial uniform. Dark energy swirls around him. When I’m about ten meters away, he shrieks and collapses on the ground, clawing at his own face.

I shiver. Whatever dark presences lurk here, they’ll do the same to me if I let my guard down. Throwing up mental walls as firm as I can make them, I glance back at Khem. He doesn’t seem disturbed at all, and I hope that he’s resistant to whatever is in here. I don’t want to lose him just yet, though admittedly, it would be a better way to get rid of him than a lot of other options. “Dark energies here,” he mutters. “Good for a feast.”

Rain continues to pound down on me as I climb the stairway to the entrance. A couple of the possessed turn to

look at me as I pass, but nothing tries to stop us.

The entrance itself is a massive doorway with a set of giant stone doors covered with carved text in some ancient dialect I can’t read. One has been pushed open slightly. I pause, making sure my defenses are fixed and my lightsaber is in my hand. Whatever happens in there, I want to be ready. “Khem?”

“Yes?”

“If something happens, and I get possessed, I want you to kill me.”

He looks at me curiously. “Why?”

“Because as far as I know, no one has ever been able to undo the possession here. Even if they had, no self-respecting Sith Lord would expend the effort to cure an unknown apprentice. And I’d rather be dead than live like that.” I gesture toward the area behind us, where the possessed wander around in their silent, madness-filled world.

He nods, and I know that he will do it if he needs to. There’s an unspoken acknowledgement between us that whatever differences we have, the Temple is more of a threat right now.

Taking a deep breath, I slip through the open door and let the Dark Temple swallow me.

Part 58: Inside

Warning: Contains some mildly disturbing imagery

The inside of the Dark Temple is just as unsettling as the outside. Shadows hang in the corners, obscuring my view of them except for an occasional flash that I know is the glowing eyes of a possessed explorer. The rest is dimly lit with an eerie greenish-grey light whose source I can’t discern.

I stand in a huge hall, probably a hundred meters wide and twice as long. The floor is flagstone, cracked in places, but overall still remarkably smooth. Along each side, a balcony overhangs perhaps a quarter of the way into the room, held up by elaborate pillars. Next to each stands a minimalistic figure sculpted in black stone, head bowed and arms at its sides.

But the focal point of the room is the statue at the far end. A twisted stone figure is mounted on a trapezoidal pedestal, head thrown back and arms stretched out in rage or pain. Green lights glow in its chest. Obviously whoever designed this place had the same flare for the dramatic that seems to plague many Sith. The statue still unsettles me, though.

Taking care not to let me footsteps make any noise, I start forward. According to Zash, the artefact she’s looking for should be somewhere on the upper level. I can see a few doorways set into the side walls, but can’t tell what’s inside them. And I really don’t want to go wandering around this place any more than I have to.

“Hello, Kiarn,” hisses a voice next to my ear. I spin around, activating my lightsaber as I do.

Khem stares at me, confused. “What is it?”

“Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?”

I frown and continue walking, scanning back and forth for any sign of an enemy. Nobody appears. “Beautiful, isn’t it?” the voice says again. “Not a bad final resting place.”

This time I don’t stop. The voice is fairly low, smooth, and distinctly male, with an echoing quality that makes it hard to pin down exactly where it’s coming from. It’s also, I realize, all in my head. What I took as a voice next to my ear is actually coming directly into my consciousness.

Tentatively, I probe at the source. I can’t figure out much about it, but I can tell that it’s not a living entity. One of the Sith ghosts Zash mentioned?

“If you’re looking for what I think you’re looking for, you’ll want to take the stairs to the right, behind the statue of the Ancient Horror.” I’m guessing that means the large one at the end of the room. It does look like there is a set of stairs on either side of it. But should I listen to the voice?

“Believe me, Kiarn. You’ll be much happier if you listen to me.”

And why should I believe the voices in my head in a place known to be haunted with ghosts that drive people insane? You could very well be trying to possess me right now.

“I would never try to possess you.”

What makes me so special? Forgive me if I don’t believe you, I send back as I take the stairs to the left.

“I wouldn’t do that.”

I ignore it. The stairs lead to a balcony level with doors along it, oddly free of the possessed. Each is huge, probably ten meters high, and covered with carved runes. No indication of which one might lead to my goal. I approach the first one, projecting out into the Force just a bit. The area around me is such a dark, turbulent mess that I can’t really make sense of it. I’m not even sure what exactly I’m looking for.

“It’s not in there. I have it.”

I reach up to see if I can open the door. Immediately, something formless slams into my body, knocking me to the ground. As I struggle to my feet, I see that whatever it was caught Khem as well. He lays on his side, not moving.

I start towards him, but before I take two steps, swirling darkness envelops me. My vision goes dark and I can feel something like a strong wind tearing at my hair and clothes. A scream fills my ears and I feel a weight pressing down on my mind.

“Come to me…” another voice says. This one definitely belongs to a woman, and reminds me of one of my old slave masters- a breathy whisper that’s both seductive and aloof. Invisible arms twine around my waist and slide along my body as I fight to escape from them. The screaming continues and I feel my feet float off the ground.

“Get out of my head!” I yell into the maelstrom, throwing my consciousness against the pressure on it. It

intensifies. Taking a deep breath, I slowly let it out and imagine thin, sharp blades forming in my mind and thrusting outwards. The weight lessens a bit, but continues its assault.

My body slams into the ground, knocking my head into the stone floor and breaking my concentration. I can feel the Sith ghost reaching for me, fingers prying at the armor surrounding my mind, and my head spinning too fast to block her. A cold touch on my shoulder and an icy blade pierces the back of my neck…

“LEAVE THEM ALONE!” thunders the first voice, loud enough to be heard over everything else that’s happening in my head and still make my ears ring. The presence disentangles itself from me and disappears and the dark energy dissipates. I blink, trying to clear my vision.

Khem leaps to his feet, pulling out his sword. I get up more slowly, head still throbbing, but also activate my lightsaber.

“I told you not to go that way,” says the voice, sounding irritated, but not truly angry.

Thank you for the help, I respond sourly. I suppose I should be thankful to this presence for saving me from possession, but I’m just annoyed that I had to be rescued at all.

“Will you come to me now?”

I suppose I have to. I can almost hear the voice smiling.

Edited by Mirdthestrill

• 2 weeks later...

Part 59: The Ghost of a Memory

I go back to the main floor and try the other staircase. It leads to a balcony that looks more or less the same as the other one. “Now go through the archway that’s about halfway down,” instructs the voice.

I really shouldn’t do this. For all I know, it’s trying to possess me itself, and just doesn’t want that other Sith stealing his prize. I suppose being able to possess a Sith, even an apprentice, would be a bit more useful than yet another archeologist. But I follow his instructions anyway. I’ll have to search until I find the artifact anyway, and he may just be telling the truth. Even if he isn’t, I have nothing to gain by making him angry, especially when I might need to look in here later.

The archway leads to several more staircases topped by a long twisting hall. We must be near the very top of the Dark Temple now. The floor is scattered with rubble and broken masonry, but nothing that renders it impassable until I reach the very end. Here, the ceiling has collapsed to the point that the only way through is a small hole near the base. I can probably fit through, there’s no chance that Khem will. I look at him.

He shrugs. “You may try.”

“Nice to have your permission.” I’d suggest that he try to move some of the rubble so he can get inside as well, but if there’s nothing dangerous in the room then I won’t need him, and if there is, I don’t want to be trapped if the rubble shifts and blocks my escape route. “Wait here.”

I unfasten my cloak and hand it to him, then drop to my knees and start trying to get through the hole, keeping my lightsaber in my hand. It’s a tight fit, but I make it without much more than a torn hem on my already frayed academy tunic and a light coating of dust. Standing up, I look around.

It’s darker than the main area of the temple, but I can still see a bit. The room itself is round, with a round dais in the center. Four pillars stand at what would be chest height for most average humanoids, though they’re closer to my shoulder or chin. I’ve lost all sense of direction in here, but if I had to guess, I’d say they were probably facing north, south, east, and west. Each is vaguely pyramidal and covered in runes and pulses with dark energy.

On the back wall is a relief carving of what looks like the tortured faces of at least a dozen humanoids, swirling in a way that’s almost beautiful if you can look past the subject matter. An altar sits in the center of the dais, fairly plain except for a bit of geometric carving. There’s something on top of it, but I can’t make out what it is.

As I walk forward, I feel something flit around behind me. My head snaps around and I activate my lightsaber, but whatever it is disappears too fast to see. As I turn back, it appears in front of the altar: an ethereal figure, definitely male, and wearing a set of armor under a long dark robe. His face is covered by a tightly fitted helmet that vaguely resembles as skull, light grey with dark indents where the eyes are supposed to be.

He lifts his chin in acknowledgement. “I have been waiting for you,” says the voice in my head. “I felt your awakening in the Force, and it woke me from my own nightmares.”

“Waiting for me?”

“I am still too weak to leave, but I knew if I made myself enough of a nuisance, you would come. And here you are. Blood of my blood, you came.”

“You think you’re… related to me?”

He sighs. “Has our family fallen so far that no one remembers Lord Kalig, the one who made them great?”

“They might, but I was never told.” Not that that’s surprising.

“You are my descendant, though I do not know by how many generations. You awoke me when you called on the

Dark Side on Korriban.”

“You’re my grandfather, then?”

“No. I lived long enough to see my descendants to the fourth generation, and I do not recognize you. I have been slumbering for at least a hundred years.”

“And here I thought I was crazy.” It must be another illusion of the temple. He’s most likely some unfortunate slave who succumbed to the madness that rules here.

“I am not insane. I know who you are.” I don’t want to believe him, but his words ring with truth. Reaching out with

the Force, I touch a mind that feels almost human, but… different. Older, less solid. Ghostly.

“Who am I?”

“You are Kiarn Skyfall, the daughter of my sons, and you are Sith.”

• 2 weeks later...

Part 60: Hello, Child

I take a step backward. “How do you know my name?” The illusions in this temple are powerful. They might be able to convince me that I heard my name, or get inside my head enough to find it out anyway.

“I’ve watched you for years. At first, I thought that perhaps your father would be the one to revive our family. He had the perfect opportunity- enough wealth and power to get by, but not so much as to attract attention. Gradually, however, I realized that he was only concerned with building his personal empire, and would gladly let everything

he accomplished collapse behind him if it brought him pleasure in the short term.”

It’s an accurate description, though the thought of someone observing my life all this time gives me a crawling feeling. “The same could be said of many Sith. Probably most.”

He laughs. “When your father died, I realized that I must have awakened for some other reason. It was only then that I saw you were the person who would restore our family.”

“Assuming I believe you, what if I don’t want to?” My long-term goal of reforming the Empire and enacting revenge on everyone who deserves it still stands, but right now I’m more concerned with surviving long enough to become a lord and avoiding whatever nefarious plans Zash has for me. Definitely not thinking about restoring the family name of someone I never want to think about again.

“Intentionally or not, you will bring our family back to greatness. I learned this as I watched you grow up, fighting for survival, clawing your way through the Sith Academy. And when you sacrificed the Miraluka to ensure your victory, I

knew.”

Anger rushes from my chest to my head, turning my face hot. “You think I wanted to do that?”

“But you did. How you feel about it is irrelevant.”

“You’re wrong.”

He shrugs. “Believe what you like. But I shouldn’t keep you. I know you’re only here for the artefact your master wants. It’s inside this chest.” He gestures to the altar, and the top surface flies off and smashes on the wall behind it.

I look at him, trying to gauge if it’s safe to go over or if this is still all part of some elaborate ploy to drag me into insanity along with everyone else here.

“Be careful,” he says. “I have never used it myself, and do not know what it does. I mearly know that Tulak Hord used it when he conquered the Kaas system.”

“You got this from Tulak Hord?” If Kalig lived at the same time as Tulak Hord, then no wonder he seems so confused. It would mean he’s been dead for thousands of years.

“Yes, the same Tulak Hord whose beast serves you now. He was my rival, and it was he who ultimately betrayed and defeated me.”

I make a noncommittal noise and step forward to look in the chest. It’s mostly empty, certainly more than enough space to contain the sole item inside. I reach out and let the tips of my fingers touch it. Nothing happens. Picking it up, I take a closer look. It’s similar in style to the fake relics they had us find during the second-last-trial on

Korriban, but in the shape of a cube with the corners lopped off. The metal has a purplish tinge and it glows a little bit. The Dark Side energy is faint, but definitely there, like an animal waiting to be awakened. Like a lot of things in this place, apparently.

I tuck it into my pack. Kalig’s ghost is still watching me, arms folded over his chest. “Goodbye,” I say, trying to sound nonchalant.

“I wish you well, daughter,” he replies. “Be on your guard. And remember, I will be with you.”

That’s not a very comforting thought.

As I crawl back through the hole in the rubble, Khem takes a step back to allow me to stand up. “I have what I came for,” I say. “Let’s go.”

We leave the temple as quickly as we can without running, careful to avoid any doors. Fortunately, none of the possessed adventurers or Sith ghosts bother us. I guess Kalig has some use after all.

Outside, the rain still falls in sheets and lightning jumps between the clouds. Something brushes against my consciousness. A presence that’s deadly serious, but also has an element of playful flirtatiousness to it. Zash. Probably checking to see if I’m alright or if she needs to find a new errand girl.

I decide to ignore her. She knows I’m alive, and I’ll make it back in my own time. I’m not even sure I could connect with her well enough to have a meaningful conversation at this distance.

Picking my way across the approach to the temple, I catch sight of a pair of retreating figures humanoid, but they disappear into the woods before I figure out who they are. It doesn’t take long to get back to the archeologist’s base camp, where I rest briefly before catching a speeder back to Kaas City.

Note:

The game leaves it deliberately ambiguous as to which of the SI's parents Kalig is related to, but I chose to specify as paternal line for plot reasons

• 3 weeks later...

Part 61: Broken Rivalry

When I reach the city, it’s almost nineteen hundred hours. Weather is average, hot and sticky, with a steady downpour and thunder echoing in the distance. If I remember correctly, tomorrow is a day off for most working people, and the streets are much busier than average. Families walk together to catch the latest holodrama, couples stroll around the plaza, and slaves hurry along on errands. I slide into the flow, moving unobtrusively along the sidewalk with my hood up. Khem follows behind, attracting a bit more attention than I do, but not much. Aliens aren’t a common sight in Kaas city, but not so unusual that most people are willing to disrupt their plans to take a look.

I thread my way through the people, keeping a lookout for any signs of trouble and trying to decide if I want to go back to Zash’s yet. Although I’m still technically not free, Zash could kill me at the drop of a hat if she wanted to without much, if any, investigation, it’s still a lot of comparative liberty. No one will hit me if I don’t appear precisely when called and the worst consequence for staying out too late is missing dinner. Just now, I don’t want to return to the oppressive stillness of the house that feels like I’m constantly being watched.

The medcenter looms over me as I pass. I pause in front of the door. This is probably where Karanni is now if Erilinn decided to do something with the information I gave him. Unbidden, I start to wonder if he did, if she’s alive right now. “Wait here,” I say to Khem.

What are you doing, Kiarn? Why would you delay visiting your master, who can help you advance, to check on the well-being of someone who hates you, who would leave you to die, probably stab you herself if given half a chance? I don’t really have an answer.

As I walk inside, I realize this might be the first time I’ve ever been in a medcenter in my life. Whatever I might have experienced as a child, at least I wasn’t sick often, and when I was, my mother usually took care of me or got the household med droid to do it. I’ve never really trusted them.

The foyer is much like most buildings on Dromund Kaas, plain grey walls and floors and benches along the walls with generic-looking potted plants. A few holoplaques decorate the walls and children play in the waiting area. A droid stands at the reception desk, and I walk up to it.

“Good day, mistress. How may I serve you?”

I stand on tiptoes to lean on the desk, which is probably mean to be chest-high, but comes much closer to my chin. “I need an update on a patient,” I say softly. “She would have been admitted several days ago. Zabrak female,

probably with some sort of trauma.”

It makes an unhappy whirring noise. “I’m sorry, mistress, but I need more information before I can help you.”

I sigh. “Her name is Karanni. You can try looking that up, or you can try searching for all the Zabraks admitted recently.”

“I’m not sure-“

I pull out my lightsaber and casually lay it on the counter. The droid looks at it for a moment, and if it had actual eyes in place of its photoreceptors, I think it would be blinking. Abruptly, it turns back to the computer screen and says “Bringing up a list of recently admitted Zabraks now, my Lord.”

Suppressing a sigh, I wait for it to finish. I hate flaunting my Sith status, but it does get the job done. It takes a lot of courage, a lot of foolishness, or a lot at stake to deny one of them something in the Empire.

The droid stops tapping the keyboard and looks up at me. “It appears that only two Zabraks were brought here in the past week. The first was a forty-two year old male complaining of stroke-like symptoms, and the second was an approximately twenty year old female with severe abdominal trauma.”

“Where are they now?”

It pauses. Most likely its patient non-disclosure programing is conflicting with its self-preservation programing.

Finally, it says “The male is in the recovery ward for observation. The female is still in intensive care. Do you require any other information?”

“No, thank you.” Snatching up my lightsaber, I stride down the hall toward the rest of the medcenter. As soon as I’m out of sight, I stop to check one of the maps mounted on the wall. Intensive Care is fairly close, just a short elevator ride to the next floor, and no one stops me on my way there. It’s surprising how much you can get away with when you act like you’re supposed to be there.

As soon as I step off the elevator, a wave of pain assaults me. Everyone who’s here is either critically wounded or sick, worried about someone who is, or rushing around trying to manage half a dozen dying people. Physical pain, raw grief, exhaustion. Reflexively, I lower my sensitivity to the outside world to make up for it. Nobody pays much attention to me beyond a nurse giving me a curious look and a med-droid pushing past me on its way to the

elevator.

An alarm sounds from somewhere down the hallway and half a dozen people hurry towards it. I slip into the chaos

and start peering into the rooms. It doesn’t take me long to find Karanni.

She’s floating in a tank of kolto, wearing only a pair of shorts and a mask over her face. Bubbles rise from it at irregular intervals and her eyes are closed, hair floating in a small, spiky black cloud around her. My first instinct is to turn away, but I manage to make myself look, blushing. Her torso looks misshapen and though it’s hard to tell while she bobs up and down in the tank, it seems to be moving irregularly. A clean, straight incision is sutured along her sternum.

Unconsciously, I put my hand on the tank and feel for a sign of life, emotion, anything. Rage boils out of it, muted by her unconscious state, but still there. But more than anger, there’s a deep sense of betrayal there. I find myself wondering how she ended up in the alley. Now’s your chance, Kiarn. You can get rid of her right now. No one’s watching.

I should. My hand drifts toward my lightsaber as I reach out with the Force. No one appears to be paying attention to me.

A presence flickers behind me and I turn around. A young human woman with brown hair pulled into a bun stands in the doorway, looking surprised. She holds a datapad and wears a plain white medic’s uniform. “Ma’am? Is there something you need?”

"Just visiting an acquaintance.” I indicate the kolto tank. “What is her prognosis?”

The woman tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “She had eleven broken ribs when she was admitted, along with a punctured lung and other organ damage. Most likely she’ll have to be fitted for a respirator, though it is possible that she will be able to resume a semi-normal life afterword.”

“But she will live?”

“Barring unknown complications, yes.”

“Thank you.” There’s not killing her now that someone knows I’m here, so the only thing to do is leave. I hurry back outside, feeling unsettled.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for disappearing! It's been a busy couple of weeks, including finals and moving back home, as well as a general lack of inspiration on my part and focusing on preparing the DnD campaign I'm running. This is my attempt to get back into the groove.

Part 62: A Double-edged Gift

Outside the medcenter, I find Khem waiting for me. “Did you find what you were looking for?” he says.

“I don’t know.” We start back for Zash’s. There are slightly fewer people on the streets than when I went in, but still

busy enough. I take a direct route back the house. Now that I’ve decided to return, might as well not waste time.

The only light that’s on when I get there is the one in Zash’s bedroom, so I step inside quietly. A holographic fire

flickers in the grate and the room is warm. No sign of the servants. I pull my cloak off and hang it on a hook, while

Khem heads upstairs. I don’t think he likes it here very much. I don’t blame him. A trail of water follows him.

Dripping my own way across the floor, I stand in front of the fake fire, letting the imaginary warmth heat my body.

Something moves upstairs and I can feel Zash noticing my presence. A few moments later, she appears at the

bottom of the stairs. She’s wearing a deep red velvet robe that’s sliding off one shoulder like she just woke up, but her hair is perfectly done, and she’s wearing a touch too much makeup to have rolled out of bed. “You’re late,

apprentice,” she says.

“I’m sorry, master.”

She waves her hand dismissively. “Did you bring the artifact?”

I reach into my bag and pull out the cube. “I have it.”

“Perfect!” She fairly snatches it from my hand and examines it carefully. “Tell me how it went, finding it.”

“It was just as you said. I found it inside an altar in the Dark Temple, behind a collapsed wall.”

“And did the Sith ghosts cause any trouble? Or the possessed?”

“A bit, but nothing I couldn’t handle.”

“Excellent. You’ve done wonderfully, apprentice. Soon, you’ll have all the power you could ever desire. But for now, I have another gift for you.”

“Gift?” I’m not expecting anything from her, so this makes me a little suspicious.

“Yes. You see, I’ve been researching the locations of Tulak Hord’s other artifacts, and it seems that they’ve been

scattered across the galaxy. You’ll need your own ship to find them all.”

“My own ship?” I do my best to sound excited and grateful, and although I am pleased, it’s not hard to see through this one. A starship is too valuable of a present to waste on me unless there’s some sort of ulterior motive.

“Yes, your very own ship. Isn’t it wonderful? I’ve had my servants prepare it for you.”

“Thank you, Master.”

“You may see it now, if you like. It’s in Hanger Bay 253 in the Dromund Kaas spaceport. Someone will be waiting for you to sign the registration.”

I nod in acceptance and pull my cloak off the hook. I don’t really want to go out again tonight, but Zash will probably be offended if I’m not over the top excited about her generousness. Pulling it over my head, I step back outside.

I take a taxi back to the spaceport, where I find the hanger bay and step inside. Time to inspect this ‘gift’.

I will admit, I’m surprised. I was expecting a small shuttle, or perhaps a used diplomatic escort. But sitting in front of me is a Fury-class transport, a sleek, angular, two-pronged design with a black and silver hull. A small smile tugs at the corners of my mouth. “It’s beautiful.”

“My lord?” says a soft, refined voice. I turn to see the male servant. “I have the registration forms mostly filled out, but there are a few things that you’ll need to fill out yourself.”

He holds out a datapad and I take it. “Thank you. You may go.”

“Yes, Lord.” He leaves, and I head for the ship, skimming the datapad as I go. The servant has done most of the

paperwork, but I still need to do two things- fill in my personal information and name the ship. I’ll take care of it after I look around.

I step up the black, non-slip ramp and enter. The interior is decorated in the same black and grey color scheme, with soft lighting. The small entry I stepped into leads to an open area, the central focus of which is a full-sized holoterminal. Further investigations show me a conference room, cargo hold, and enough housing for a half-dozen or so people. Eventually, I end up in the cockpit.

The seat is made for a much larger person, but the black leather cushions still form to my body, and the stillness

of the ship feels much more benign than Zash’s house. Calming, even. Pulling my knees up to my chest, I try to fall asleep, although not before finishing my ship registration. The Warrior’s Solace. Sounds like a good name for a ship.

• 4 weeks later...

Annnnnd I disappeared again. I am still working on this story, I promise!

Part 63: To the Spaceport

When I wake up the next morning, something is beeping on the console in front of me. I sit up sleepily- for once I actually feel rested- and look for the source of the sound. Ah, the com. Pressing the button to accept the call, I flick my hair out of my face and straighten my cloak. Sleeping in it somehow managed to get it twisted around my neck, so the opening is at the back now.

Zash’s voice comes through the speaker. She sounds unhappy. “Apprentice, where are you?”

“I’m sorry, Master. I was inspecting your gift until late last night, and decided to spend the night here, rather than returning.”

She sighs. “Well, come back right away. I have your next assignment for you, and you need to start as soon as possible. And pick up the Dashade, as well.”

Of course. “I’ll leave immediately.”

Zash hangs up and I sigh, running my fingers through my hair. Somehow, this isn’t what I envisioned being a Sith apprentice would be like. While I anticipated that it would be difficult, Zash has been much less strict than changeably irritable. The long training sessions have either been outsourced or skipped, and she mostly uses me to run errands. I’m not sure what I prefer, to be honest. I can’t entirely say I miss being covered in bruises every day or constant yelling from teachers, but I feel as though I’m missing some of my education. Will I be able to keep up with the rest of my class in power?

I take the speeder back to town and trek through the streets in the rain, wondering what she wants me to do this time. I’m guessing it will be off planet. Why give me a ship otherwise?

She’s waiting in the living room when I enter, tapping her foot impatiently. A frown creases her forehead. “You should have come back earlier.”

“I’m sorry, Master.”

She purses her lips. “It can’t be helped now. But I hope you’re ready to work.”

“Always.”

“The ritual we’re going to perform requires several artefacts, like the one you retrieved from the Dark Temple. According to Tulak Hord’s writings, one of them is on Balmorra.”

“Balmorra?” I’ve heard of it before, but I can’t remember in what context.

“The first planet in the Nevoota system. We’re in the middle of an invasion there to seize control of its weapon and droid factories. A success there should cripple the Republic war effort. But more important to us is the artefact. I’m sending you to find it, but it won’t be pretty.”

“I have a strong stomach.”

“Good. Balmorra is no place for delicate flowers. In addition to the battles taking place on its surface, the planet itself is full of vicious insectoid Colicoids. Now, the landscape has changed since Tulak Hord hid his treasures, but I have a fairly good idea of where this one is located. Unfortunately, this is where the real trouble comes in. It seems to be in a vault that the Balmorrans, fools that they are, turned into a toxic waste dump.”

“How did they miss the distinctive Sith atmosphere?”

“I’m not sure they ever entered the vault.”

So what? They just found a hole in the ground and decided ‘hey, let’s pour chemicals in it?' “That seems odd…”

“Indeed. Regardless, you’ll have to retrieve the artefact. I want you to travel to Balmorra and fetch it for me. I’ll send you the name of a contact who will assist you in any way he can.” She steps close enough to me that I can smell her breath- musty, like old parchment and dead leaves- and puts her hand on my shoulder. “Be secret, be quick, apprentice. Both of our futures depend on it.”

“Yes, master.”

Zash steps back. “Take the Dashade with you. I don’t need him around here and he might be of use to you.”

If anything, he might be able to stand the toxic chemicals longer than I can. “Khem?” I call up the stairs as I start to climb. “Get your things, it’s time to go.”

I pack quickly, though not as quickly as I would have been able to a few weeks ago, and start back for the

spaceport, feeling slightly annoyed that Zash made me come all the way back here when she could have delivered the instructions by holo. Oh well, at least I got the chance to pack and grab Khem.

The streets are fairly empty at this time, but not deserted. A human boy in the livery of a powerful Sith house carries a package under one arm, a trio of uniformed schoolgirls walk past giggling, and an armored thug leans against a wall.

Waiting for the speeder is a male figure in a long black cloak. The hood is up, but I recognize something in his Force presence. Erilinn. What’s he doing here, crossing my path again?

“Good morning,” he says quietly, not looking at me. He appears to be staring across the chasm at the Citadel.

“Morning.”

The speeder sets down on the platform, sending a spray of water into the air. The door pops open and we both enter, along with Khem. “State your destination,” says the droid driver.

“Spaceport, please.” He looks at me for the first time and I nod. The speeder lifts off and he settles back into his seat. “So, Zash is sending you off on another mission.”

I stay quiet, the silence stretching to the point of awkwardness. “You don’t have to talk to me if you don’t want to,” he says, finally.

“It’s alright,” I reply. Stupid Kiarn, now you have to come up with something to say. Think, what would redirect away from me and what I’m doing? “You said you have a new assignment here?

“Yes. I’m serving as a gofer of sorts to a Sith named Darth Thanaton.”

“Thanaton?” Isn’t that the name of Zash’s boss?

He nods. “I’m responsible for overseeing his relations with some of his underlings, mostly the Force-blind ones.”

But he still acted like he didn’t know who Zash was at that party. Why? “That sounds…” I search for something to say about it and seize on the first word that comes to mind. “… Boring.” Idiot.

“It usually is. But at least I get to see a lot of the galaxy, which is something. Talk to all sorts of people, all kinds of ideas.” He shrugs.

“Lord-”

“Erilinn is fine.”

“-Erilinn, why did you leave the Academy?” I say almost without thinking. Why do I ask these questions? It gives him leave to ask about my life, which I don’t want. But, much as I hate to admit it, I’m lonely. I’d grown used to Meiko’s companionship, and being almost exclusively alone with Khem in an empty house for months on end has started to wear on me. I’ll have to find a less dangerous way to deal with this soon.

He looks at me, his nonchalant expression replaced with a searching look. “I was unhappy there. But I don’t really want to talk about it.”

“Forgive me, Lord.”

“It’s alright, Kiarn.”

We ride in silence for the last minute of the trip, then climb out and go our separate ways, Erilinn disappearing into

the customs office and Khem and me returning to the hanger of The Warrior’s Solace. It looks the same as it did this morning, and it doesn’t take me long to stow my bag and climb into the pilot’s seat. I’ve never flown before, but the computer has autopilot and an excellent tutorial that walks me through how to get started.

We clear port authority and make the jump to hyperspace with no trouble. As soon as we’re on our way, Khem joins me in the cockpit. “You are talking a lot today, little Sith.”

“To some people.”

“Is best to remember that no Sith is a friend.”

“I know.”

“Tulak Hord did not remember. Now no one remembers him but me.”

With that cheery comment, he returns to the cabin I’ve let him stay in and I don’t see him for the rest of the day.

• 5 weeks later...
As long as you keep writing it I'll keep reading it. ;) It's great to see another chapter.

:) Hopefully I'll pick up the pace a little bit when school starts up again and I'm not dming. It takes a lot of my creative juices.

Part 64: Roadblocks

I spend the two days of the trip to Balmorra obsessively consuming piloting sims, ship tutorials, and owner’s manuals. Khem mostly avoids me, but will show up for meals, which we eat in silence, trying not to stare at each other.

When we reach the planet, I open up a com channel to Darth Zash. She didn’t tell me to contact her when I got there, but I know her well enough by now to guess that she’ll want me to. Although there’s a simple com in the cockpit, I might as well use the larger one with a holo display. It will let me see her facial expressions, help me read her.

The holocom setup is in what I guess I would call the common room of the ship, a disk-shaped fixture about as wide as I am tall and located between the couches and tables on one side and an open space that could be used for almost anything on the other. Khem hovers in the door of his cabin as I begin the call.

Zash answers almost immediately, confirming my suspicion that this was a good idea. “Do you have the artefact yet?” she asks brightly.

Oh. “No, master. I just arrived on Balmorra.”

She sighs. “Of course. Right. Now, I haven’t been to Balmorra before, so the responsibility is on you to come up with a plan for retrieving it. However, I suggest you talk to Major Bessiker. We have had contact in the past, and if

you inform him that you’re my apprentice, he should assist you.”

“Thank you, Master.”

“Now, be quick. You don’t want other Sith getting to our prize first!”

No. We wouldn’t want that now, would we? “They won’t, don’t worry.” I’m still puzzled as to exactly what she intends to get out of this. She’s promised me over and over again that going through her plan will make me ‘more powerful than I could ever hope to be’, but why? Giving your apprentice that much potential to wipe you out seems counterproductive. And if it works on me, why not her?

I call Khem and start the decent into the spaceport. She could be planning to use it on herself as well, but why not tell me? No Sith who survived Korriban would be surprised that she wants to. Perhaps some or all of them have another use, and she thinks I won’t be willing to go after them if I don’t believe it directly helps me?

The ship lands and I climb out of the pilot’s seat. I’ll have to come up with a trump card of my own to counter her before this task is finished. Making sure my lightsaber is tightly fastened to my belt, I walk down the ramp into the spaceport.

Nobody is there to greet me, just a console that asks for my information and the duration of my stay. I put down a

week, deciding that I can add more time if I need to.

The spaceport itself is noticeably more run-down than the one in Kaas City, although still in decent shape. It’s more of a matter of grime lingering in corners and paint chipping off the droids than anything actually broken or destroyed. I suppose with the invasion going on right now, there are more important concerns than making the spaceport look nice for visitors. Apart from the spaceport workers, most of the people are low-ranking military personnel and a few worn-down-looking families. Probably trying to get off-world before the occupation truly shuts down all travel. Khem and I walk through the building without anyone taking much notice of us.

We step outside into the city of Sobrik, the main city of the region according to my datapad. A dome-shaped shield protects it, covering the sky with a faint orange hexagonal pattern. It’s hard to tell through the shield, but the sky itself seems to be light orange as well, and partially covered with clouds. The city is in much the same shape as the spaceport, in generally good repair with subtle signs of decay.

People mill about the streets, again, fewer than in Kaas City, but enough that the city doesn’t feel deserted. Apart from the usual service businesses, most of the city looks to be devoted to manufacturing, though none of the factories seem to be running. Deep red banners bearing the Imperial crest hang everywhere. I notice that most of the civilians give them dirty looks or simply avoid looking at them entirely.

Following the directions given to me by an Imperial officer, I make my way on foot to a small building that is apparently Major Bessiker’s base of operations. A young man in uniform greets me at the door, then salutes quickly when he sees the lightsaber hanging at my side. “What would you like, Lord?”

“I wish to speak to the Major.”

“Yes, of course, right away. Please come with me.”

I do, and he leads me through a short hallway into a fairly large room, that I’d guess takes up most of the space of the building. A human man who must be the major stands over a table, examining what might be a map. He’s older, perhaps fifty standard years old, with a thick, dark grey beard and no mustache. I’ve always thought that that combination looks odd. He looks up. “What is it, Lord?”

“I wish to speak with you in private.”

He gestures to the young man, who returns to his place by the door. “Yes?”

I step closer to him and speak quietly. If we’re being observed here, the game is already up, but there’s no point in being reckless. “My name is Kiarn Skyfall, apprentice to Darth Zash. There is something of great value to my master hidden in one of the Balmorran waste vaults, and I require your help to retrieve it.”

He nods. “I’ll help you in any way I can, but it won’t be easy. You’ve walked into the middle of a war here, and we have very little in the way of time or resources. At this point we’re basically patching holes in our outposts with crating tape. Now, where is this vault you’re looking for?”

I give him the coordinates and he checks them on the map. “You’re both fortunate and unfortunate. That particular vault was blown open in one of our bombing runs last month. Should make it easier to get into. But it’s also been used to store toxic waste. You’ll have to find some way of getting through it to reach anything inside. Perhaps… Sergeant?”

Another man appears from a door on the other side of the room. “Yes, sir?”

“Do we still have those pumps we used for the assault on Sterik?” He turns back to me. “The blasted locals destroyed the city’s water system and flooded the bunkers. We had wait three days to get all the water out and another week to it sufficiently to move any computer equipment in. The place still smells like sewage.”

“We do, sir,” replies the Sergeant, unfazed by his superior’s rant. “But if it’s the vault I’m thinking of, it won’t be that simple. Just the fumes from those chemicals have put men in the medbay.”

This is getting better and better… “I have to get in there, Major. Is there anything that can survive the vault, any equipment that can block it?”

“I’m sorry, Lord. Our best technology can’t block the chemicals out completely. Nothing even grows there except the colicoids.”

“Those are something. Tell me about them.”

The sergeant steps forward. “Our surveillance satellites have actually recorded them feeding on the toxic waste from the vaults. We suspect they might have evolved the ability, or perhaps they were even genetically engineered to do so.”

“And you didn’t think this was worth mentioning?” I know they’re not trying to be difficult, but they could at least try a

little harder to help me. I’m not asking for much!

“I’m deeply sorry, Lord. But the colicoids are vicious, insectoid predators. Just one of them tore apart an entire squad last week. There’s no way you would be able to reason with one or train it to fetch your master’s prize for you.”

“I need that immunity, Major.” My voice starts to climb and I can feel the Dark Side tugging on the door to the place in my mind that I’ve stored my pent-up anger towards Zash, this mission, and Sith in general. Have to stay calm. Losing control here will only cause a disturbance and lead to everyone being too frightened to be of much use, even if nobody dies.

“You can’t get it, my Lord. We barely know where colicoids come from, much less how to co-opt their genetic structure!”

“Is there anyone in the galaxy that would know?”

“Well, there is one lab that was overrun with them as soon as the Republic abandoned it. We suspect they may

have been researching the creatures there.”

“Where is it?”

“My lord, you won’t-“

“WHERE IS IT?” My voice echoes, even in the small room.

The Sergeant holds out his hand. “I’ll mark it on your map, Lord.”

“Thank you.”

The major is nodding now, as though to reassure me that of course he’s trying to help, of course he’s not trying to defy a Sith. “And if- I’m sorry, when you come back, we’ll do everything in our power to help you make use of that research. Do you wish me to send a squad to accompany you?”

“I’m fine, thank you.” I don’t really need more people following me around, Khem is bad enough, and we’ll just attract more attention from everyone involved. “I’ll be back shortly.”

• 3 weeks later...

Part 65: Finding the Path

Khem and I make our way to the research laboratory with some difficulty. While the fighting isn’t bad enough that we’re ever in imminent danger, it does make traversing the valleys and plains outside of Sobrik a slower and more difficult process. To make matters worse, the landscape itself presents a problem. Sharp cliffs punctuate the rolling hills and foul-smelling swampy patches crop up here and there. Khem trudges along stoically and I try my best to keep from ruining my dress and boots.

When we reach the coordinates Major Bessiker added to my datapad, the lab is nowhere in sight. After a few minutes of searching, I discover an opening concealed in the side of a nearby cliff. Someone wanted to hide this place. I would never have spotted it if I wasn’t looking for it. Although I can sense life inside, it doesn’t feel quite sentient and rebels at my presence in its mind. Must be the collicoids.

I try the door. Locked. I suppose I could try to look for a key, but if the garrison in Sobrik had one, they would almost certainly have mentioned it. That means that either it doesn’t exist or it’s in the hands of the Republic. So I’m not likely to be able to get ahold of it. I could break in- I doubt their doors were made to resist lightsabers- but not only would that be incredibly obvious to anyone who happened by here in the future, it would also leave no way to re-seal the lab behind me. If I should need something from here in the future, I would hate to find it more ravaged by weather and beasts than it already has been.

So I’ll have to find another route or a way to get around the lock on the door. Since the later doesn’t seem very likely, I walk away from the opening, up a nearby rise of grass, to get a better look at the area. I can’t see any other openings from where I am, but given how much trouble I had finding the first one, there might be more I can’t see. Though it’s still moot if they’re locked too.

Wait a minute, Kiarn. You’re being stupid. The collacoids are still living here, according to Major Bessiker. Unless they subsist entirely on air and ill-will, they’ll have to get food somehow. That means a way in and out of the lab. And if it’s large enough for them, it’s large enough for me.

Returning to my surveillance of the landscape, I pay special attention to the rocks that make up the cliff face. Perhaps the collicoids found a loosened air vent or open loading dock?

“What are you doing?” says Khem. I remain silent. “Little Sith?”

“Looking for a way in. If you’re bored, you can help.”

He grunts and walks back towards the entrance we already found. I continue my observations of the cliff side. The pattern of outcroppings and fissures in the rock face is unusually regular…

“I have found a way!” calls Khem.

“What?” I stand up and hurry towards him. If he’s broken down the door…

“Up there.” He points up at a dark smudge on the side of the cliff, high enough up that I can’t quite make out what it is.

“I don’t think a collaicoid could climb straight up a rock face.” Could they? They are insectoid, apparently, and some insects can do that. That would be a problem.

He shrugs. “Is only way in I see.”

I take another look around the area. The regularity of the rocks strikes me again. “Wait a minute. I don’t think this is natural. I think someone built this section of the cliff over the lab, to hide it.”

“So?”

“I don’t know.” Maybe it will be useful. It’s too bad the Force isn’t very useful for detecting non-living things. I could use the help.

Returning to the knoll I was sitting on before, I resume my observation. The solution is there, I know it. Could the second entrance be on top of the ridge?

Suddenly, something moves among the rocks, near where Khem pointed out the air vent. I stand up to get a better look. It doesn’t move like a humanoid or a bird. Wait a minute. That must be a collacoid. What I can see of it fits the description I’ve been given- approximately human sized, a muted color, insectoid with large front limbs. Either it’s been sitting still the entire time I’ve been here, or it just climbed out of that opening.

Squinting to get a better look, I watch it make its way down towards us. It’s definitely not just climbing down vertically. It moves back and forth across an area maybe twenty meters wide, getting lower all the time. Almost as if… “There’s a path up.”

Khem looks at me.

“There’s a path up to the vent or entrance or whatever that is you found. They must have built it into the side of the cliff and disguised it to make it look like one slope.”

The collacoid reaches the ground and scuttles off in the direction we came from, towards Sobrik. At least it didn’t seem to notice us. I’ll probably be dealing with more of its kind than I care to once we’re inside.

Khem and I make our way over to the side of the cliff. A more thorough search of the spot where the creature came down finally yields the results I was looking for: a paved path, just wide enough for one person, with the remains of a gate at the bottom. Whoever built this place did an even better job disguising it than they did with the main entrance. In addition to being unobtrusive, it looks like this spot has been purposely placed in a small dip surrounded by rocks, making nearly impossible to see except from a single direction.

After stepping over the wreckage, I start to climb up the narrow trail. It’s narrower than I thought from the ground, and even I’m feeling like there’s not enough sold space for my feet. I can’t imagine how Khem must feel, or even a larger human. We switchback up and up until we reach a small permacrete platform next to the opening he noticed earlier. It’s slightly wider than the path, but not enough to allow both of us to stand on it.

The vent itself is decently sized, probably a meter and a half high. I could see a human-sized insect coming through here. It’ll be tight for Khem Val, but I should be able to fit without too much trouble. The metal grid cover is half-rusted and bent aside, and the edges of the permacrete surrounding the opening are chipped, probably from bunches of collacoid claws on it. This seems to be the place.

Taking out my lightsaber and motioning for Khem to follow me, I step inside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks! And I'm glad you can post :)

I feel like I should have Kiarn kill some Jedi in this installment, but unfortunately we're not that far yet...

Part 66: Journey into the Nest

The inside of the tunnel is in pretty bad shape, mostly due to the collacoid traffic, I think. The permacrete walls are chipped and scored from bug claws and in a few places they’ve even broken completely, making footing treacherous. A foul smell that I can’t identify gets stronger as we go further in and I keep running into small patches of a slimy substance. I try not to think about what it might be.

We climb back into the side of the cliff for maybe a hundred meters. Then, suddenly, the tunnel bends down sharply and I stop. “Hold,” I say softly, just in time to keep Khem from running into me. I peer down. Can I survive the drop? How far is it anyway? I can see a dim circle of light, but the odd perspective makes it hard to tell. It could be five meters or fifteen. I suppose I could chimney it down, but I’m not sure I want to try that in this skirt, nor am I confidant in my ability to get back up if it’s too far to jump.

“What are you waiting for?” asks Khem.

“I’m trying to figure out if the drop will crush all my bones.”

“Let me see.”

I’m not sure I trust him or his knowledge of human biology, but what could it hurt? I press myself against the side of the tunnel and allow him to awkwardly scoot around me. This gets me much closer to him that I really like being to anyone, but there’s no alternative that I can see.

He looks down the hole for a minute before saying “Is only a few meters. You will be fine, little Sith.”

“How many is a few?”

“I would guess six.”

I nod and he crams himself through the bend. As soon as I hear the solid ‘thunk’ of Dashade hitting the ground, I follow.

Even using the Force to slow my decent, the floor still hits me like a bulk freighter, sending impact up my legs and buckling my knees. Ignoring the pain, I look around for any sign that the collacoids have noticed our entrance. Nothing yet, but I can hear scrabbling in another room that tells me I don’t have long.

Khem pulls out his blade and stalks over to the door, while I examine the room. The dim light I noticed earlier is coming from a computer console. I have no idea why this place is even still powered, let alone still has computers functioning, but maybe it’s self-powered. If the researchers were in a hurry to abandon this place or thought they would be back before too long, they might have left them on standby.

The keyboard and monitors are covered with a large sheet spattered with more of the slime that seems to be everywhere in here. I can feel it squelching under my boots. Won’t that be a delight to clean off my clothes later? Apart from that, though, the collacoids don’t seem to have used this room much. I pull at the cloth and falls to the floor easily.

Lights glow steadily on the panel, but it looks like the computer is on standby or sleep mode. Hopefully I can figure out how to break into it. I’m certain it’s password protected at the least, and my computer hacking experience doesn’t go beyond trying to guess one of my old masters’ shuttle passwords.

Swiping my finger through the grit that’s still managed to accumulate on the touch screen, I listen as the entire machine whirs to life. More of the screens light up. Sure enough, it’s asking for a password. I have no idea what it could be. A few standards- ‘password’, the main user’s birthday or anniversary, a child’s or pet’s name- flash through my mind. Most likely anyone working at a facility this well-hidden would be too smart to use one of those, and I don’t know who worked here anyway.

Still, might be worth a shot. I type ‘password’ into the text box and for a moment hope and worry battle for attention as the screen goes dark. But then it re-brightens and I see that I’m still on the log-in screen. Smaller text near the bottom of the screen informs me that I have four attempts left. Great.

Stupid Kiarn. Why didn’t you think of this? You should have brought a tech with you. “Shut up,” I mutter. Yes, I should have thought ahead, but it’s too late for that now. Besides, if I can’t figure this out, I can always bring someone back to help me out. I’d rather keep this location a secret, though. Who knows, it might be useful someday.

Another password attempt, this time using 123456. Three more attempts. I need a better strategy than this. Think, Kiarn, think.

Wait a minute. Why do I need to break this system at all? Yes, this is a computer, but there must be a physical piece that stores the data somewhere. If I can pull it out, I can bring it back to Sobrik and get someone to read it for me. With the likelihood of me being able to guess the password or magically gain computer hacking skills, it might be the safest option.

I pick up a piece of broken wall plating and use it to pry the front panel off the computer. I should really start carrying a vibroshiv around, and perhaps a small blaster pistol as well. Not only is having something sharp useful in a lot of situations, but there might be some point where I need to kill someone without leaving lightsaber marks.

I set the panel on the floor and look at the equipment inside. I have no idea what any of this is. “Khem!” I shout.

A few moments of stillness, then he crashes back into the room, looking around wildly. “What is the matter?”

“Nothing. Do you know anything about computers?”

Khem bends down to inspect it and I frown. He almost sounded concerned about me. Could he be? The idea makes me uncomfortable. Almost as uncomfortable as the idea that I might care about him, at least a bit. I was a little worried when he didn’t come right away. You can’t do this, Kiarn. You know what happens when you care about people, and it might not end so well for you this time. When the time comes, this one will fight back.

Pushing the worries away, I take a look at how Khem is doing. “I think this might be it.” He points at a small cylindrical object. It might be the computer’s memory storage, or it might be a load-bearing strut for all I know. I mentally add computer structure and hacking to the list of skills I need to learn as quickly as possible, alongside starship piloting and lock-breaking.

“I’m not sure I want to risk it.” I didn’t want to do this, but it looks like I have no choice. Pulling out my comlink, I find the frequency of the outpost in Sobrik and place a call. “Hello? I’d like to speak to Major Bessiker. Yes, I need to know which physical pieces to remove from a computer to retain the information stored on it for transport.”

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, guys! Having your character magically able to solve every problem that comes their way is the fastest route to Mary Sue-dom and conflict-free plots that I know of. Besides, there's no reasonable way that Kiarn would have much computer experience. Heck, for a while I debated whether she would know how to read or write, although I eventually decided she does.

Part 67: Interview with Bessiker

It takes a little effort to get the right pieces out of the computer without smashing the whole thing, and a good bit more to get them back up the ventilation shaft without crushing them. But somehow Khem and I reach Sobrik with computer parts intact. At least, I think they’re intact. They could be horribly corrupted for all I know, but they at least look ok.

Major Bessiker greets me with the same subdued but still somehow over-the-top politeness that I’ve decided must be part of standard Imperial officer training. “What did you find at the lab, my lord?”

I don’t reply but set the computer parts on the table. “I need a tech who can read these. A trustworthy tech.”

“Of course. I’ll get someone down here immediately. Would you like me to bring you something to drink while you wait?”

When was the last time I had something to eat or drink? Before I landed, I suppose. “Water would be wonderful, Major.”

The tech turns out to be a freckled, redheaded girl no older than I am. She seems a little intimidated by me at first, but settles in to do her job quickly enough. I watch with interest as I sip at a canteen someone hands me. Perhaps I can pick up a few tricks. Unfortunately, it seems that computers are something I won’t be able to pick up that easily. I have no idea what she's doing.

She’s been at it for nearly an hour when the Major approaches me. “Is there anything I can get for you?”

“I’m fine.” To tell the truth, I’m quite hungry, but I’ll eat when I return to the Solace for the night. If someone wanted me dead, there would be easier ways than poisoning my food after I've already been here for hours, but it never hurts to be cautious.

“May I sit?” There’s something different about him, a subtle shift in his Force-sense that tells me he’s just had something good happen to me. He’s happy and some other feeling I can’t quite place. I nod.

“Thank you, Lord.” He takes the chair next to me at the conference table and rests one leg on the other. “I received some news today that should interest you.”

“Oh?”

“Yes. My son, you see, has been studying on Ziost for the last several years.”

“To become a Sith?” I wouldn’t have pegged him as the type to have an adept in the family, but the Force doesn’t really confine itself to what I’d expect. Ziost is home to the second of the three Sith Academies in the Empire and is responsible for Force-sensitives from the higher ranks of the Imperial military and government. Korriban, while much better known, is where the rest of us end up- the commoners, criminals, and slaves who aren’t expected to be as impressive and will need more training.

The third academy is more of a rumor than anything else, but I’ve heard it mentioned often enough that I’m sure it exists and it was hardly a far-fetched idea in the first place. Both the location and exact makeup are unknown, but the general consensus seems to be that it’s made up of those students the Sith feel will require special attention or more intensive training, such as captured Jedi or students with extraordinarily strong abilities. Of course, children of prominent Sith families usually skip the Academies altogether and go directly to an apprenticeship.

“Yes.” He beams with fatherly pride, which must have been the other emotion I was sensing. I don’t see much of that. I wonder what else there is about this man that I don’t know? “He just graduated, and his new master has given him an assignment on Balmorra.” He smiles. “He’s promised to visit me while he’s here.”

“That’s wonderful.” I pause. “How long has it been since you’ve seen him?”

“Four years, although he’s been on Ziost for three. I didn’t get the chance to see him before he left… I’m sorry, my lord. I shouldn’t be wasting your time with my ramblings.”

“No, it’s alright, Major. Go on.” If nothing else, it helps to pass the time.

“Well, there’s not much else to say. But I hope you’re still around to meet him when he comes.”

Not if I can help it, I won’t be. The last thing I need is to run into another Sith here, even a very new one. “Perhaps I will be,” I say. I even manage a small smile.

The tech looks up. “I think I’ve cracked the security code. Wanna take a look?”

I stand up. “Of course. You may go, I’ll call if I need you again.”

The major stands up too. “Would you like me to leave as well?” I nod.

Walking over to the table, I check the datapad the tech connected to the hardware. It seems that most of the memory that could be recovered is scientific papers that I can’t hope to understand, but there seems to be a few plain-text files, one of which is a work log. I pull it up and find a schedule of experiments run, write-ups due, and meetings arranged. At least I definitely know they were working on collacoids and toxic waste here.

A few more scientific treatises later, I find what appears to be a memo to some sort of outside entity. Progress on the experiments is not going without a hitch, but we seem to have overcome the initial obstacles we faced when we began. This looks promising. Recently, Team Five reported that the subjects responded positively to the waste from the hazard vault.

Our only remaining concern is that the casualty rate seems to have gone up in this round of testing. So far, we’ve lost two of our best scientists and three research assistants. At this rate, we almost can’t afford to be successful. At any rate, I have attached a report with the formula for the chemical compound that has thus far produced the best results. Also in the report is its infra-red spectrum, chromatographic profile, and projected crystalline and molecular structures. The final portion of the report contains my preliminary studies on its interaction with Collicoid cell structure and the toxic waste, particularly the Helonium Hydroxide and 2,4-Isohydrine.

I will continue my research. Hopefully we will be able to figure out the cause of the rise in subject’s ferocity and eliminate casualties from here forward.

The heartlessness of the memo give me pause. Who were these scientists working for, anyway? The Republic must be worse than I thought if they would sponsor something like this. Regardless, I still need to replicate it.

“Major?”

Note:

I totally made up the names of the compounds in Star Wars toxic waste. Putting my Organic Chemistry class to good use, everybody!

Based on the names, Helonium Hydroxide is probably a base (also known as an alkaline) consisting of the fictional element Helonium bonded to an oxygen atom and a hydrogen atom. 2,4-isohydrine is most likely some sort of carbon compound with some sort of functional groups on the second and forth carbon atoms. It also has the same chemical formula as hydrine, which according to at least one google source is a drug used to treat hypertension and edema. Who knew?

Edited by Mirdthestrill

• 1 month later...

And I have once again managed an update! Uggh, I feel terrible about having such long gaps between installments, but school comes first right now.

Part 68: Infiltration

I stand on a grassy hillside above a bubbling green lake. Night is falling rapidly and a cool breeze brings an acrid smell from the lake. I pull up my hood.

According to Captain Ilun, the formulas do seem like they’ll protect me from the toxic waste surrounding Zash’s artefact, but he can’t be sure. Their top scientist seems to have defected to the Republic and without him they’re crippled in their research. So here I am, at Iannos Tyrek’s last known location, hoping that the Empire’s week-old

confirmation that he hasn’t been transferred off planet yet still holds.

I turn to Khem, about to tell him to follow me quietly, before I remember that he’s not here. This mission requires more stealth than an eight foot tall killer can give me. He’s back on the Solace.

Crouching just a bit, I make my way through the tall grass to the lake shore. The water is probably too toxic to make pleasant bathing even if I could swim, but there’s enough that still grows along its edge to obscure my shape a bit. A colicoid hisses somewhere a ways behind me. Hopefully they don’t decide to bother me. Drawing my lightsaber would almost certainly attract attention from the base on the other side.

As I make my way around the edge of the lake, I try to inspect the Republic base as much as I can. There’s definitely lights on, but not too many. It’s honestly not that large of a place, just a few buildings clustered around a larger one where most of the activity seems to be at this hour. I slow my pace to a crawl and drop low.

Nobody challenges me and I make it to the edge of the compound apparently unnoticed. Getting inside is going to be the hardest part. If the major’s intelligence is still accurate, Tyrek will be either in his lab or his private quarters. They still don’t trust him enough to let him wander around alone. Smart people. I have no idea if this defection is for real or not, but only a fool would let a recent enemy have free reign of your stronghold.

I’m guessing the lab would be in the main building, since most of the others look like garages and storage. But where in the building? I don’t want to spend any more time sneaking around inside than I have to.

Let me think. It will probably be easier to find the lab, and I’ll bet Tyrek is staying nearby. It wouldn’t make sense to have his quarters on the other side of the building. What do labs require? A lot of power, that’s for sure. Probably some ventilation. There would have to be some sort of place to store chemicals and if they’re worried about him escaping, probably not on the ground floor.

This building is too uniform! Nothing sticks out about any of the windows or floors, it’s all the same. Will I have to just break in and try to find a map before anyone catches me?

Before I do that, I send out a light mental probe to see if anything stands out. Not too hard, though, in case there’s any Force sensitives attuned to pick up such things. The intelligence report didn’t mention any Jedi at this facility, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any. It’s hard to tell much at this distance and intensity, but there are definitely people awake. No one seems on particular alert, but beyond that I can’t tell much.

I creep closer, using the Force to dampen my impact on the surrounding area and still on the lookout for wandering guards. Nothing. Are these people that bad at security or have I gotten a lot better at hiding my presence? Or is it too late and I’ve already been discovered?

Soon, I reach the edge of the graveled area that marks the edge of the compound. A high link fence is topped with spiked wires, electrified, judging by the power boxes connected at intervals, but not nearly the level of security I would expect from an operation with as many resources as the Republic. No shields, not many guard patrols, either no proximity sensor or horrific response time.

This will be perhaps the most dangerous part, but I don’t really see any other options. Who knows how often they open the gates, and I doubt I would be able to talk my way inside the gates, invited or not. Any other ideas I have for getting over or under the fence will either carry the same detection risk or leave it obvious to even the stupidest guard that someone’s broken through.

Taking my lightsaber hilt in one hand and gathering my strength, I pour the Force into a leap and somersault over the fence, the edge of my skirt just missing the humming wires on top.

I land in a crouch and look around. No wonder the Republic is losing this planet. The security really is terrible. Trying not to move too fast and draw attention to myself, I dart into the shadow of the building. Now to get inside.

The nearest entrance seems to be about twenty meters away, a fire escape ladder leading up to the roof. I’m just

about to head over there when something crunches just around the corner. A guard. Finally. He doesn’t seem particularly alarmed, just making rounds. I flick my eyes downward. Am I camouflaged enough? Just to be sure, I close my eyes, willing my body to fade to nothingness and blend into the wall.

The footsteps walk by, pause just an instant. For a moment I worry that I’ve been spotted, but then the guard coughs and moves on. I open my eyes, still hidden, and watch his retreating back. He looks young. Awfully young, and probably local. I feel a twinge of regret. Half of these people are probably just defending their homes from the Empire’s invasion, and the rest don’t want to be here anymore than I do. And all of them will catch it when I steal their prize from under their noses. Can’t be helped, though. Taking out the rest of the Sith is far more important than a few people’s military careers.

I slip over to the ladder and start to climb, keeping a close watch for security cameras. My hood is pulled down to shadow my face, so I shouldn’t be too recognizable, but someone’s still probably monitoring them, and the less traceability I have the better. There are only so many 150-centimeter Sith with double bladed lightsabers out there, and not all my hair would fit under the hood. I’m keeping my stealth on for as long as I can, but it’s difficult while concentrating on almost anything else.

When I reach the second story, I pause and look around. The breeze tugs at my clothing and I can see a dim glow on the horizon that marks Sobrik. About three feet to my right is a window. I’m not sure why it draws my attention, but maybe it’s the Force prompting me or maybe it’s just some movement in the corner of my eye. Either way, it looks like a good place to climb inside.

Now how to do it? I can reach the window from here, but of course there’s no exterior latch on it, or interior that I can see. I could cut through it, but I still have the same problem with lightsabers that I did on my way in. I hold perfectly still, thinking, as the crunch of a guard walking past below breaks the stillness.

Reaching out with the Force, I test the window. It’s reinforced transparisteel, run through with wire, but if their building maintenance is as poor as everything else around here, I should be able to find a weak spot… There we go. The frame pops out with a crack that I pray nobody heard and I send it gliding slowly up to the roof. Bracing for an impact, I grab the sill and swing off the ladder as alarms start to blare.

• 1 month later...
Hi! I started reading your fic when you first started posting. But then i took a brake from the game for a lomg time and stopped reading, now i'm back and i see the story has only improved! I like how you included her height in the last installment, she really is pretty short!

It's great to hear from you, Avatar, and I'm glad you're still liking the story!

Kiarn's actually rounding a bit, she's five feet even, but that's still pretty short. Even shorter than me, lol.

Part 69: Goal

The blaring of the alarms is much louder inside, and I can see red lights flashing at intervals. Footsteps behind me. I spin around, willing myself to disappear.

Too late. The trio of armored guards has already seen me. Their blaster rifles swing up as I pull out my saber. Flickering back into view as my concentration lapses, I catch two shots and a third streaks past my head.

They don’t seem very well trained, but I can’t get arrogant. There’s still three of them and only one of me. I’d had a vague hope of getting out without bloodshed, but that’s going to be too difficult now that I’ve been spotted.

Reaching out with the Force, I slam one of the guards into the wall hard enough that I hear her neck snap from ten meters away. Her companions look shocked, but keep firing. I have to find a way to get out of this open area. Lightsabers can block blaster bolts just fine, but it’s definitely not a strength of the double-bladed design and I was never that good at it anyway. A near-miss makes the air next to my arm sear with heat and I can feel sweat break out on my forehead.

One of the guards reaches for his comlink, probably to call for backup. Without thinking, I send a burst of Force energy at him, a line of violet electricity erupting from my fingers. He staggers and drops to his knees, the com sparking in his hand. Fear is radiating off both of them now in waves that ripple down the hallway like a deep purple fog.

I let it wash over me and feed the Dark Side energy begging for release as I start toward them. The guard who’s still standing keeps up a steady stream of fire and his companion struggles to rise. Sending a second shock into him, I continue my advance. He collapses and lies unmoving.

The final man turns to run as I reach him, but by then it’s too late. A red blade slides through him, cutting him in half. I whirl to finish off the one I shocked.

Stop it. They’re no longer a threat. I pause, panting. Even I’m surprised how brutal I was. I didn’t just neutralize the threats, I wanted to hurt them. It made me stronger. Embrace it, Kiarn. It’s what you were made for. It’s in your blood.

“Shut up,” I say aloud and start down the hall, keeping my lightsaber out.

It seems that this is some sort of scientific complex. Most of the doors seem to lead to labs or storage rooms. I see one door labeled “Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging” and another labeled “High-contrast Sub-gravitic Spectroscopy”. Most of them seem empty, although whether that’s due to the late hour or a low staff I can’t tell. I jog down the hall, keeping my Force-sense alert for signs of an occupied lab or anything that seems out of the ordinary.

Before too long I see a room with a light under the door. I pause. Somebody’s in there, at least. Should I go in? I try it. Locked.

Reactivating my lightsaber, I thrust it through the handle area and it slides open. Not very subtle, but I’m short on time and it’s not particularly worth trying to hide anymore. I duck in and use the Force to slide the door shut behind me.

Inside I find what appears to be a laboratory, albeit an ill-put-together one. Equipment is scattered around and bottled chemicals sit in disorganized clusters on the counter. Twanging music plays from a computer terminal. The only person present is a boy about my own age, hunched over a workbench. He looks up at my entrance and makes a noise that sounds approximately like “eeep!”

I hold out my lightsaber and put my finger to my lips as I walk towards him. “Who are you?”

“You’re a- a Sith!”

“Last time I checked. Now tell me, what’s your name?”

“Hollin. Are you the reason the alarms have been going off?”

He may not know anything, but there’s a good chance he does, so I shouldn’t frighten him too much. “Is this your lab?”

He shakes his head. “I’m a graduate student from Sobrik. Dr. Tyrek brought me with him when he defected.” His expression changes as soon as he finishes his sentence and he looks down, like he knows he’s given away something important.

I’m not about to let him get away with it, either. “So Dr. Tyrek is here now?”

“No.” He’s so clearly lying that I don’t even bother pointing it out.

“Where is he?” He shakes his head. “Tell me.” I raise the lightsaber to point at his throat. Again, no response. Sighing, I send a jolt of Force lightning, just a little, into his body.

That gets his attention. He drops to the floor, making that ‘eep’ noise again, and lays there gasping for a minute. When he seems to have gotten his breath back, I nudge him with my boot and say “Where is he?”

“In his room. Over there.” He points at a door on one side of the room.

“Thank you.” Walking over, I keep an eye on him, but he doesn’t seem to be ready to get up yet. This door opens immediately.

It’s definitely some sort of residence, Hollin wasn’t lying about that at least. A bed, desk and chair, small table, and an open door to a refresher are all visible in the dim light. A man seems to have fallen asleep over his work on the desk and I walk quietly over to him. He stirs but doesn’t awake. I clear my throat and tap his shoulder.

“What?” He sits up slowly, rubbing his eyes. “Hollin, did I- Oh!” As soon as his eyes reach my face, he snaps to alertness and clutches the armrests of his chair. For the first time, I get a good look at his face. He’s older, probably mid-forties, with hair and beard almost as red as mine, although his skin is darker. His face is flushed and his eyes have bags under them, like he’s constantly exhausted. “I should have known Bessiker wouldn’t just let me go. I have to say I didn’t expect a Sith, though. Here to kill me, then, or torture first?”

“Neither if you cooperate.”

“You really think I’d believe you? And even if I did, I risked my life to come here. You won’t be able to persuade me to return. There are fates worse than death, and being an Imperial scientist is one of them.”

“Oh?” Could his defection be genuine? I haven’t really concerned myself with whether it is or not, but I find myself wondering if it could be.

“They don’t give you any freedom in that place- you’re just a droid to them, a killing machine building endless killing machines.”

“Sit,” I command, gesturing with my lightsaber hand. He does do that, at least. “Now listen, because I’m only going to say this once. I don’t care how you feel about me or the Empire. But I can assure you that what I’m asking you to do will not involve building weapons of any kind. To sweeten the deal for you a bit, I can even promise to return you when you’re done. But believe me when I say that you will regret it for the rest of your life if you refuse me.”

He raises his head a bit to look me in the eyes. “What kind of Sith are you? My answer is still no.”

“You don’t want to know the answer to that question.” As I reach out with the Force to hold his body rigid and clasp the stun cuffs around his wrists, I wonder how I would answer him if I was being honest. To my concern, the answer eludes me.

Note:

Nuclear magnetic resonance imaging is a real thing, used to determine the structure of organic molecules by observing each atom's interaction with nearby atoms. I actually can do at least a basic reading of the data from one, although I'm not trained on the machine itself yet.

I made the other one up, though.

• 3 weeks later...

@bright- Exactly right on both counts.

@frauzet- Also exactly right, although I feel like someday she's going to be forced to figure out what she would say, and I'm not convinced she'll be happy with it.

Part 70: A Compromise of Wills

No sooner have I slid the cuffs onto Dr. Tyrek’s wrists than I realize I’ve made what could possibly be a critical error. I have no idea how I’m going to get him out of this facility. He easily weighs half again as much as I do, and though I’m probably strong enough to carry him a good distance, I couldn’t fight or be remotely subtle doing it. There’s not much chance of getting down that ladder, either. There’s stairs, I’m sure, but any exit is sure to have guards ready to rush anyone attempting to leave. And an escape attempt with a conscious captive is even less feasible.

On the other hand, I’m sure there’s roof access in this place somewhere. It’s probably guarded or alarmed too, but most likely much less heavily than something at ground level. I release the hold on Dr. Tyrek’s body and he staggers.

Taking a deep breath, I reach deep into the recesses of his mind, turning, twisting, until his eyes roll back in his head and I have to catch him to keep him from falling to the floor. He’s a bit lighter than I expected, but it’s small comfort as I try to heft him onto my shoulders. Sith Academy training has made me stronger than I’ve ever been in my life and the good food at Zash’s has helped me put on muscle, but there’s nothing easy about lifting this much dead weight. I doubt I would be able to do it at all without the Force, and even that isn’t enough.

I take an experimental step forward. My knee buckles under me and I inhale sharply. This is going to work. It has to. Focus, Kiarn. Use the Dark Side. You are Sith. But no, I can get my balance, step forward slowly, carefully.

It takes twice as long to walk to the door of the laboratory as it should, but eventually I push the door open to find myself staring into the muzzles of five blaster rifles. “Put the doctor down,” says the one I assume is the leader. “And we won’t shoot.”

There’s nothing to do but comply. I can’t fight them all like this. Slowly, trying not to startle any nervous trigger fingers, I slide Dr. Tyrek off my shoulders and let him crumple on the ground. The soldier’s leader laughs. “Now turn around slowly. Your master shouldn’t have sent a child to do a warrior’s job.”

Ignoring the jab, I start to follow his orders. The brief distraction of tracking my movements is all the opportunity I need. As I turn, I close my eyes and open myself up to the power, pouring all my frustration and urgency and doubt into the endless void of the Dark Side of the Force.

It answers back. Liquid fire pumps through my veins and cold lightning sears my chest as I feel my hair float up to form a blood-red halo around my head. By the time the soldiers can fire, I’m dropping to the ground in a sliding kick that snaps the ankle of their leader. He stumbles into one of the others and their shots range wild. Before anyone can track their rifle to me, I have my lightsabaer out, slashing at legs as I roll to my feet. A burst of raw energy knocks them to the ground and a few seconds later their heads have separated from their bodies.

Invigorated by the power flowing through me, I soak up the energy from my enemies’ deaths for an instant before grabbing for the doctor again. This time, while he isn’t exactly a light burden, I can walk without feeling as though an entire planet is on my shoulders and I make reasonably good time toward the nearest stairs.

The door is shut tight for the lockdown, but a lightsaber makes short work of it and I push through into the stairwell. It’s even more industrial-looking than the rest of the building, all permacrete and flashing warning lights, but it goes up, and that’s what matters. I start to climb.

Finally, I reach the top of the stairs. I’m not to the roof, but this seems to be the highest level you can access from here. Leaning the still-dazed Dr. Tyrek against the wall, I cautiously set out to look for a way up. As the rush of Dark energy starts to ebb, he’s feeling heavy again.

Up here is even more deserted than the level I just came from. I can tell it hasn’t been used for anything more than storage in a while. The ceiling tiles are stained and most of the doors are shut with the look of something that’s been in place for a long time. Apart from the alarms, which I’ve managed to mostly block out by now, there’s no sound. But there doesn’t seem to be any way up, either.

I’m just about to give up and try finding another way, when it hits me how stupid I’ve been. I’m right below the roof right now. It shouldn’t be too hard to cut my way up. Bringing the doctor along will be harder, but the Force will help me. Finding an unlocked door, I shove it open on its stuck tracks and grab a chair. Even with that, I can’t reach the ceiling, but a double-bladed lightsaber is more than long enough to make up the difference. A few minutes later, I’m crouched on top of the compound, with the wind playing with my hair and a birds-eye view of everything going on. Everyone is still rushing around looking for me, and I can’t help but find it a little amusing. Sooner or later, they’ll figure out where I went, but for now I’m as safe as I could be anywhere within a dozen kilometers of here. I pull out my comlink.

Major Bessiker answers immediately. “Sith! Thank goodness you called. My son-“

“I need you to come pick me up. Now.” A bit short perhaps, but the Dark Side energy has dissipated now, leaving

me exhausted and irritable. I’m in no mood to hear about his stupid son right now.

“I’m afraid I can’t do that. There’s been a problem.”

“What?” His comment takes a moment to register and when it does, I’m more confused than anything else. I may

not have been a Sith for very long, but I knew long before: you don’t refuse a Sith anything. If they tell you to give

them something, you give it. Even if it’s the first food you’ve had in three days. Or your body. Or your life.

“My son. He’s gone to one of the other research facilities. Looking for a holochrono or something like that. We just

picked up his distress signal.”

I can hear the worry in his voice, but running off to go rescue some spoiled Sithling from whatever mess he’s

gotten himself into was not on my agenda for the day. I’m tired and drained and the galaxy would probably be better off with one less Sith. “Pick me and the doctor up, and I’ll see if I can spare the time when I’m done with my business.”

“That’s not good enough.” His voice is shaking, but resolved. “By then the Republic could have already killed him or worse.”

Anger kindles in me again. How dare he? His duty requires him to help me, and now he’s making it conditional on running personal errands? Force his hand, Kiarn. Make him choose between helping your or open mutiny. You can make it out on your own if you must.

Stop it, I tell myself firmly. I’m thinking like a Sith. I may be tired, yes, but I’m talking about basically killing a stranger because I don’t feel like expending extra effort. This is exactly the attitude I’m fighting against. “Bring some food and water, and I’ll need an hour or two to recuperate my strength. But you’ll get your son back, Major.”